Need help with my wireless card

Need help with my wireless card

Postby Zophiel » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:58 am

I did search this forum before I posted. And I have Googled it to death. I don't really understand a huge amount of wireless info. With that said please bear with me.

I work as a corporate security officer for a complex inside Atlanta. I have to use the Internet to get to my company e-mail to access forms, and e-mail check ins once an hour.

Ok, my question my laptop is a Dell it has an internal card a Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI Card. I am allowed to use the wireless connection that the complex provides, but my location gives me very, very little signal. The connection will connect about 50% of the time but the wireless zero bar on the toolbar will tell me it has no signal. When it does this it works ok. Always right in the middle of work it kicks me off and loses the signal. I looked at all the settings on the card and found a few different settings I think may affect the performance of it but am very apprehensive to change them.

Any suggestions?? Can I set the card up to squeeze a little more distance from it? I don’t see a jack for an antenna either. I have a slot that looks like a pcmcia slot but when I pulled the little plastic thing out of it it's missing a small postage stamp size section out of it and a normal pcmcia card will not fit.
THANK YOU ALL.
Zophiel
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:59 am

Zophiel wrote:I did search this forum before I posted. And I have Googled it to death. I don't really understand a huge amount of wireless info. With that said please bear with me.

I work as a coperate security officer for a complex inside Atlanta. I have to use the internet to get to my company e-mail to access forms, and e-mail check ins once an hour.

Ok, my question my laptop is a Dell it has an internal card a Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI Card. I am allowed to use the wireless connection that the complex provides, but my location gives me very, very little signal. The connection will connect about 50% of the time but the wireless zero bar on the toolbar will tell me it has no signal. When it does this it works ok. Always right in the middle of work it kicks me off and loses the signal. I looked at all the settings on the card and found a few different settings I think may affect the performance of it but am very apprehensive to change them.

Any suggestions?? Can I set the card up to squeeze a little more distance from it. I dont see a jack for an antenna either. I have a slot that looks like a pcmcia slot but when I pulled the little plastic thing out of it it's missing a small postage stamp size section out of it and a normal pcmcia card will not fit.
THANK YOU ALL.

What did the corporate IT department say about this issue?
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby wrzwaldo » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:19 am

Zophiel wrote:I did search this forum before I posted. And I have Googled it to death. I don't really understand a huge amount of wireless info. With that said please bear with me.

Welcome Desk
Forum rules, new member questions, site feedbacks, suggestions, requests, problems, complaints.

Swiiiiinnng and a miss!
wrzwaldo

Postby Thorn » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:02 am

I work as a corporate security officer for a complex inside Atlanta. I have to use the Internet to get to my company e-mail to access forms, and e-mail check ins once an hour.
And you're using wireless? Please, please, please tell me you're using a VPN. If not, then you should resign your security job right now.

Zophiel wrote: Ok, my question my laptop is a Dell it has an internal card a Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI Card. I am allowed to use the wireless connection that the complex provides, but my location gives me very, very little signal. The connection will connect about 50% of the time but the wireless zero bar on the toolbar will tell me it has no signal. When it does this it works ok. Always right in the middle of work it kicks me off and loses the signal. I looked at all the settings on the card and found a few different settings I think may affect the performance of it but am very apprehensive to change them.
You might try adjusting the MTU size. Google (or search Dell's site) for the details on how to do it with that card.

Zophiel wrote: I have a slot that looks like a pcmcia slot but when I pulled the little plastic thing out of it it's missing a small postage stamp size section out of it and a normal pcmcia card will not fit.
That's an ExpressCard slot, not a PCMCIA/CardBus32 slot. For some reason, Dell is putting those exclusively on all the new laptops. Dell makes a wireless ExpressCard external card, but it doesn't have an antenna jack. Other manufacturers of wireless Express cards probably exist, but I don't know of any.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Return to Newbie Bin