Re:Vista Before You Ask....

Re:Vista Before You Ask....

Postby WonderWoman77 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:37 pm

I installed the latest version of WinPcap from their site.....
This so I could get Ethereal to work in Vista.It now does. But NOT BEFORE I went and got the latest update from HP for my Broadcom 54g Embedded Wireless.I have a dv5210 Laptop from HP.On a whim,I decided to see if Netstumbler would do anything at all in my Vista Ultimate setup.After getting the 54g drivers installed(IMO,DO NOT use the Microsoft drivers,make sure you use the HP/Broadcom ones from the SWsetup folder.),installing the WinPcap version, and such,I double clicked the NS icon on the desktop and brought it up. Sure enough,the program came up and worked.It immediately picked up the library's Wi-fi signals and noted them.
NOTE: YMMV and it may be different on other cards,but it worked for me. Also,I wonder if you ran NS in compatibility mode(XPsp2) if it would work like always. I didn't do that on mine but it worked.Maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel.I'll post more after I use NS on the way home in the truck and see what selection it made as far as adapter,etc. and I'll let you know.:)

WW77
Computer - HP dv5210 (AMD Turion 64,512 MB RAM,1.6ghz)
OS - Windows Vista Ultimate
Wireless Adapter - Broadcom 54g Embedded (unknown what chip number)
Win Pcap - 4.0 (Now recognizes Vista)
NetStumbler - 0.40
Ethereal - Latest version
Vehicle setup - 400 Watt Inverter,Boost Mobile Phone(for GPS),Using Built in Wireless and antenna(No PCMCIA slots on Laptop,no External antenna hookups)
WonderWoman77
Mini Stumbler

Postby Dutch » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:42 pm

Your information is moot, since
a) You are using an unsupported OS.
b) You are using an unsupported WiFi NIC.

Netstumbler also doesn't need, nor utilize the Winpcap library.
It might work for you, now. But there is no guarantee, due to items a) and b) that it will continue to do so, nor that it will work for other users with the same pc and setup as you have.

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby itsnotme » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:31 pm

WonderWoman77 wrote:I installed the latest version of [color="Red"]WinPcap [/color]from their site.....
This so I could get [color="Red"]Ethereal [/color]to work in Vista.It now does. But NOT BEFORE I went and got the latest update from HP for my Broadcom 54g Embedded Wireless.I have a dv5210 Laptop from HP.On a [color="RoyalBlue"]whim[/color],I decided to see if Netstumbler would do anything at all in my Vista Ultimate setup.After getting the 54g drivers installed(IMO,DO NOT use the Microsoft drivers,make sure you use the HP/Broadcom ones from the SWsetup folder.),installing the WinPcap version, and such,I double clicked the NS icon on the desktop and brought it up. Sure enough,the program came up and worked.It immediately picked up the library's Wi-fi signals and noted them.
NOTE: YMMV and it may be different on other cards,but it worked for me. Also,I wonder if you ran NS in compatibility mode(XPsp2) if it would work like always. I didn't do that on mine but it worked.Maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel.I'll post more after I use NS on the way home in the truck and see what selection it made as far as adapter,etc. and I'll let you know.:)

WW77
Computer - HP dv5210 (AMD Turion 64,512 MB RAM,1.6ghz)
OS - Windows Vista Ultimate
Wireless Adapter - Broadcom 54g Embedded (unknown what chip number)
Win Pcap - 4.0 (Now recognizes Vista)
NetStumbler - 0.40
Ethereal - Latest version
Vehicle setup - 400 Watt Inverter,Boost Mobile Phone(for GPS),Using Built in Wireless and antenna(No PCMCIA slots on Laptop,no External antenna hookups)

If you're calling it Ethereal, then you're obviously using an old version since it's called Wireshark now. Since you're referring to Ethereal, I'll also assume that the Winpcap you're using is also outdated. Try updated software. (Note that the last sentence was a joke.)

It was good that you decided to have a whim, but you should have done the necessary research in order to follow your whim. Reading around here, you would have noted that Windows Vista is not supported here under any circumstance. (Under ANY circumstance, Windows Vista isn't supported. Even China recognizes this, thats why they only have 216 legal copies in China.)
itsnotme

Postby Barry » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:26 pm

itsnotme wrote:If you're calling it Ethereal, then you're obviously using an old version since it's called Wireshark now. Since you're referring to Ethereal, I'll also assume that the Winpcap you're using is also outdated. Try updated software. (Note that the last sentence was a joke.)

It was good that you decided to have a whim, but you should have done the necessary research in order to follow your whim. Reading around here, you would have noted that Windows Vista is not supported here under any circumstance. (Under ANY circumstance, Windows Vista isn't supported. Even China recognizes this, [color="Red"]thats why they only have 216 legal copies in China.[/color])

Somebody had to buy it. :rolleyes:
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby WonderWoman77 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:28 pm

Sorry about that.Maybe Vista will at some point be supported as well as the Embedded Wi-Fi.Sorry about the ethereal part as well(Had Air Snare on the brain).At least the setup I have works.That is all that matters to me.I can still wardrive.Buy Vista?(Came Standard.To paraphrase a line from "Demolition Man"....You don't understand.Vista was the only Windows to survive the OS Loads.So?Sooooo...Now all Windows are Vista.")Again,Sorry about that.
WonderWoman77
Mini Stumbler

Postby itsnotme » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:30 pm

WonderWoman77 wrote:Sorry about that.Maybe Vista will at some point be supported as well as the Embedded Wi-Fi.Sorry about the ethereal part as well(Had Air Snare on the brain).At least the setup I have works.That is all that matters to me.I can still wardrive.Buy Vista?(Came Standard.To paraphrase a line from "Demolition Man"....You don't understand.Vista was the only to survive the OS wars.So?Sooooo...Now all Windows are Vista.")Again,Sorry about that.

Please, for the love of god, put some spaces in between your punctuation. My eyeballs like the space.
itsnotme

Postby brwrdrvr » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:05 am

WonderWoman77 wrote:Sorry about that.Maybe Vista will at some point be supported as well as the Embedded Wi-Fi.Sorry about the ethereal part as well(Had Air Snare on the brain).At least the setup I have works.That is all that matters to me.I can still wardrive.Buy Vista?(Came Standard.To paraphrase a line from "Demolition Man"....You don't understand.Vista was the only Windows to survive the OS Loads.So?Sooooo...Now all Windows are Vista.")Again,Sorry about that.

/Screams out like Luke Skywalker when he finds out that Darth Vader is his father.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

/Climbs on top of the desk and dramatically jumps off.

I hope I didn't ruin the movie for any of you. :D
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Postby Dutch » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:22 am

brwrdrvr wrote:/Screams out like Luke Skywalker when he finds out that Darth Vader is his father.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

/Climbs on top of the desk and dramatically jumps off.

I hope I didn't ruin the movie for any of you. :D

Cajuns==Zero attentionspan.. I've told you before, and I'll tell you again: You NEED to remember the rope around the neck, for that to have ANY effect at all..

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby brwrdrvr » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:24 am

Dutch wrote:Cajuns==Zero attentionspan.. I've told you before, and I'll tell you again: You NEED to remember the rope around the neck, for that to have ANY effect at all..

Dutch

DOH!! rope!!

/Scribbles a note on pda, "Buy rope."

Thanks Dutch, always a big help as usual. ;)
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Postby WonderWoman77 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:19 am

WonderWoman77
Mini Stumbler

Postby theprez98 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:21 am

WonderWoman77 wrote:......

That's quite the valuable contribution for your third post, ever.
[font="Courier New"]"\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";[/font]
theprez98

Postby brwrdrvr » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:35 am

theprez98 wrote:That's quite the valuable contribution for your third post, ever.

I think she was trying to add the spaces she forgot early and still missed the right key on the keyboard. :D
brwrdrvr

Postby theprez98 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:13 pm

brwrdrvr wrote:I think she was trying to add the spaces she forgot early and still missed the right key on the keyboard. :D

Figures... :rolleyes:
[font="Courier New"]"\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";[/font]
theprez98

Postby WonderWoman77 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:07 pm

Sorry I'm not perfect. :-(
May your day be kind to you.
WonderWoman77
Mini Stumbler

Postby G8tK33per » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:08 pm

WonderWoman77 wrote:Sorry I'm not perfect. :-(
May your day be kind to you.

Don't listen to them...they're a bunch-o-dicks...
"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Sons of Confederate Veterans
G8tK33per

Next

Return to Newbie Bin