WarViewing with WiFi?

WarViewing with WiFi?

Postby rebrandsoftware » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:41 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I figure that many of you are well versed in WiFi...

For a quick overview of what WarViewing is, take a look here:

http://geekbar.net/Warviewing/

What I'm wondering is, since I have a 2.4 Ghz WiFi card, and many video transmitting devices operate in the 2.4 Ghz range, is is possible to receive video with a WiFi card?

I am a software delveloper, and I would interested in writing software similar to netstumbler/ministumber for detecting wireless video feeds.

I assume that my WiFi card would need to single out and decode the video transmission.

I have just recently started fooling around with wireless networking, so I don't really know the internal workings of WiFi yet. My best guess is that my card is receiving all kinds of information and filtering out everything but specific WiFi packets. In that case I would need a way to tell the card to accept different types of information, possibly through something similar to "promiscuous mode" on an ethernet adaptor.

Any insight or thoughts you all have would be appreciated.

Cheers,
rebrandsoftware
Mini Stumbler

Postby Barry » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:04 pm

Nope.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Re: WarViewing with WiFi?

Postby The Others » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:38 am

Originally posted by rebrandsoftware

It's amazing what a search will bring up :rolleyes:

http://forums.netstumbler.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9397&highlight=search
all good ends all

?u=273
The Others

Re: WarViewing with WiFi?

Postby Thorn » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:53 am

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I figure that many of you are well versed in WiFi...

Well it sure as hell had nothing to do with MiniStumbler. PLEASE try to start threads in the appropriate forum. Moved to Hardware.

For a quick overview of what WarViewing is, take a look here:

http://geekbar.net/Warviewing/

You're a bit late to the party. That particular article was discussed about 3 months ago on these forums, and is actually the latest in War(Spy)(Viewing)(TV) going back at least a couple of years.

What I'm wondering is, since I have a 2.4 Ghz WiFi card, and many video transmitting devices operate in the 2.4 Ghz range, is is possible to receive video with a WiFi card?

I am a software delveloper, and I would interested in writing software similar to netstumbler/ministumber for detecting wireless video feeds.

I assume that my WiFi card would need to single out and decode the video transmission.

I have just recently started fooling around with wireless networking, so I don't really know the internal workings of WiFi yet. My best guess is that my card is receiving all kinds of information and filtering out everything but specific WiFi packets. In that case I would need a way to tell the card to accept different types of information, possibly through something similar to "promiscuous mode" on an ethernet adaptor.

Cheers,

Sorry, but it will not work. Aside from the fact that they are in the ISM band, the video signals used in the X10 (and similar) cameras are analog while WiFi signals are digital. That alone make it impossible to have the WiFi card interpert the video signal.

Truck on down to the local bookstore and get some book on RF signal theory, and you'll see what you're talking about just is impossible.

Read through the thread that The Others linked. That was the latest discussion on these fourms, and should given some insight on how it can be done.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby rebrandsoftware » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:09 am

You people sure are quick to judge. It really reflects poorly on this board in general. When reading through other posts I see that most of the replies are attacking the author.

I'm not late to the game, I only provided that link as a reference. A few years ago I discovered this was possible on my own, but the setup was so bulky and unweildy that I didn't keep it up for long. With the advent of higher end Pocket PCs that can view/record video, receive wireless, use GPS, etc... I thought that a Pocket PC would be the perfect device for warviewing.

The searches I did revealed nothing about whether this was possible with a WiFi card.

This is relevant to ministumbler because I would like to develop pocketPC software similar to ministumber, but for video feeds.

This, in particular, was helpful:

Sorry, but it will not work. Aside from the fact that they are in the ISM band, the video signals used in the X10 (and similar) cameras are analog while WiFi signals are digital. That alone make it impossible to have the WiFi card interpert the video signal.

Thank you. But please, try giving the benefit of the doubt to people before you attack them.

-Mike
rebrandsoftware
Mini Stumbler

Postby The Others » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:23 am

please, try giving the benefit of the doubt to people before you attack them.

-Mike

As one of the three people that replied to your original thread, I can say that you weren't attacked. You asked "is it possible?" barry and Thorn said no, I pointed you towards the most recent talk on the matter.

How were you attacked? I'm sorry I didn't bow down to your idea - I guess anyone who says "no, that can't be done" is ataccking you.

As for missing the boat, you obviously did... The post I gave you demonstrates that point, as do you posting so late on the topic.

It can't be done, get over it. You didn't think of it first, get over it. This is a happy place in which new people are guided and loved, accept it. You were guided, you were loved, but, you didn't like the results so you cry about how nasty we are.

I'm sorry.
all good ends all

?u=273
The Others

Postby Thorn » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:56 am

You people sure are quick to judge. It really reflects poorly on this board in general. When reading through other posts I see that most of the replies are attacking the author.

Mike,
It tends to be sink or swim around here. That's the way it is. If you feel that it "reflects poorly," that is your perception, and has nothing to do with us. Most "attacks" are the fault of the person not doing enough research, asking questions which have been answered previously (usually many times), or asking about illegal activities. Simply reading the Rules and lurking for a week to a month would prevent such "attacks."

I'm not late to the game, I only provided that link as a reference. A few years ago I discovered this was possible on my own, but the setup was so bulky and unweildy that I didn't keep it up for long. With the advent of higher end Pocket PCs that can view/record video, receive wireless, use GPS, etc... I thought that a Pocket PC would be the perfect device for warviewing.

OK, so you're not late to the game. We have no way to know or judge your prior experience. What you are a new member here, starting a new thread on something which has been discussed repeatedly. That makes you late to the game here.

You're idea of using a PPC isn't bad, it just isn't possible in the way you are describing.

The searches I did revealed nothing about whether this was possible with a WiFi card.

Well, I don't know where you seached but about 10 minutes on Google would have given you fair amount of information regarding WiFi and Ethernet. Certainly enough to know that it is a digital signal. A few minutes more searching Google about TV signals would have shown that the are analog.

This is relevant to ministumbler because I would like to develop pocketPC software similar to ministumber, but for video feeds.

Which still has nothing to do with MiniStumbler. The MiniStumbler Forum is to assist people with MiniStumbler. Just because you want to discuss a possible software project based on a similar hardware, does not make the MS Forum the approriate place to talk about it.

This, in particular, was helpful:

Good.

Thank you. But please, try giving the benefit of the doubt to people before you attack them.

-Mike

You're welcome. But let me assure you, just because you were given some answers you didn't like, you were not "attacked."
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby rebrandsoftware » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:02 am

You're missing the point entirely.

I appreciate the helpful answer. I was asking whether or not it could be done, and the fact that it can't is fine.

When I say attacking people, I wasn't referring just to the replies to this thread. It seems widespread throughout the board. For example, I saw many different threads where people were being attacked for stealing internet connections, but the accusers had no proof that any connection stealing was even being done.

These are the sorts of things that, in my opinion, are things that someone who's being a dick would say:

I guess anyone who says "no, that can't be done" is ataccking you.
It can't be done, get over it. You didn't think of it first, get over it.

you didn't like the results so you cry about how nasty we are.

Well it sure as hell had nothing to do with MiniStumbler.

You're a bit late to the party.

See what I mean. You sound like a real dick. Whether or not you intended to, I don't know, but that's the way it came off.

I don't like to be treated like an idiot, but I also don't have time to argue over this. I just wanted to point out that, in my case and in many others, this board seems to jump to conclusions and attack people.

I'm sure there are many others here who agree with me.

Again, thanks for the helpful answer. It is exactly what I was looking for.

-Mike
rebrandsoftware
Mini Stumbler

Postby G8tK33per » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:03 am

Waaa, fucking waaa....MY PUSSY HURTS !!!
"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Sons of Confederate Veterans
G8tK33per

Postby G8tK33per » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:09 am

See what I mean. You sound like a real dick. Whether or not you intended to, I don't know, but that's the way it came off.

I don't like to be treated like an idiot, but I also don't have time to argue over this. I just wanted to point out that, in my case and in many others, this board seems to jump to conclusions and attack people.

I'm sure there are many others here who agree with me.

Again, thanks for the helpful answer. It is exactly what I was looking for.

-Mike
Ladies and Gentlemen I give you contestant #1 on "WarTard of the Day with M7 and G8"
"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Sons of Confederate Veterans
G8tK33per

Postby The Others » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:25 am

You sound like a real dick.

:rolleyes:

Oh well, what can you do eh? You don't know me, being a dick here keeps me pleasent in the real world.

It's just as Thorn says, "sink or swim". You sound like a dick by posting crap on the day you register.

You say "people here are always so mean, etc", but, how do you know? You've been registered less than 24 hours!

Do you ever accredit the people who spoon feed you your programs? Talk about customers rebranding your software - it sounds more like you rebrand other peoples.
all good ends all

?u=273
The Others

Postby rebrandsoftware » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:30 am

Hmm.. Screw you too.
rebrandsoftware
Mini Stumbler

sink or swim

Postby The Others » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:33 am

Originally posted by G8tK33per
Ladies and Gentlemen I give you contestant #1 on "WarTard of the Day with M7 and G8"

I call shotgun on the position of guest flamer.
all good ends all

?u=273
The Others

Postby Monitr7 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:56 am

Originally posted by G8tK33per

You rang? Ah, I seem to have arrived a little "late to the party".

Congratulations, rebrandsoftware, you diddley-diddley-dipshit, you; you've been selected as the "WarTard of the Day"! You've been here less than a day, and you're posting the same old "WAAAH, the other guys are being mean to me," shit, common to those who have extremely thin skins and can't take constructive advice when it's given.

Being a dick? From what I've seen, it's been mostly helpful information you've been receiving. Didn't like the answer, or how it was stated? Tough shit. Dude, the mild flames you've been receiving have been nothing compared to some of the stuff that's been lobbed around here.

"It really reflects poorly on this board in general." So you say, you man-smelt. You know what reflects poorly on this board? You, and those like you, who come onto the forum, spout a bunch of crap without doing any type of reasearch on the subject, other than googling, maybe, once. Then you start trying to say how we're being mean to you.

If you don't appreciate how horribly, horribly bad you've been treated here, well don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. On the other hand, that would be pretty damn funny...

Now, let's bring out our "guest flamer of the day", The Others!

<applause> <applause> <applause>
WTOTD Industries - Where quality is Job #3.

G8tK33per doesn't care about the tarded people!
-Kanye West
Monitr7

Postby The Others » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:06 am

Originally posted by Monitr7
Now, let's bring out our "guest flamer of the day", The Others!

<applause> <applause> <applause>

[The Others walks done the elaborate stair case in front of a glittery back drop]

"thank you friend" [fake laughter plays loudly] "hey guys, have you heard of stolensoftwares latest program?"

"No!" Shouts an excited audience.

"It does your homework for you!"

The screen star wipes, the audeince goes crazy; The Others rocks as guest flamer.

"I thank you!"
all good ends all

?u=273
The Others

Next

Return to Newbie Bin