Wierd USB Adapter Problem.

Wierd USB Adapter Problem.

Postby Slyke » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:14 am

On my laptop i'm using a Netgear WG111 802.11g Wireless USB2.0 Adapter and Netstumbler. My laptop also has a built in Wireless adapter.

When i use Netstumbler to search for APs with the Netgear Adapter, it will pick up an AP after about 10 minutes (even if it's right next to it), somtimes it won't pick it up at all, and other times it takes about 3-4 mins etc etc.

When i use the builtin Adapter and netsumbler it picks up the network instantly.

Using the windows wireless internet program the Netgear adapter picks up APs instantly, and so does the builtin adapter.

I haven't been able to test another USB adapter of the same model, or a different one yet.

If you want to know the reason why i want to use the external adapter its because i'm putting it onto a dish or up high for better transmission and reception.

Also, off topic, i when signing up to these forums i tried to use my hotmail email and it said that the administrator had banned my email address???
Slyke
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:18 am

Slyke wrote:On my laptop i'm using a Netgear WG111 802.11g Wireless USB2.0 Adapter and Netstumbler. My laptop also has a built in Wireless adapter.

When i use Netstumbler to search for APs with the Netgear Adapter, it will pick up an AP after about 10 minutes (even if it's right next to it), somtimes it won't pick it up at all, and other times it takes about 3-4 mins etc etc.

When i use the builtin Adapter and netsumbler it picks up the network instantly.

Using the windows wireless internet program the Netgear adapter picks up APs instantly, and so does the builtin adapter.

I haven't been able to test another USB adapter of the same model, or a different one yet.

If you want to know the reason why i want to use the external adapter its because i'm putting it onto a dish or up high for better transmission and reception.

Also, off topic, i when signing up to these forums i tried to use my hotmail email and it said that the administrator had banned my email address???

Using unsupported hardware is bound to lead to undesirable results.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby wrzwaldo » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:53 am

Slyke wrote:On my laptop i'm using a Netgear WG111 802.11g Wireless USB2.0 Adapter and Netstumbler. My laptop also has a built in Wireless adapter.

Unsupported, as noted in previous post.

Result to be expected, as noted in previous post.

Again unsupported hardware, you got lucky this time.

That's why it came with that software!

Any tests you do with unsupported hardware proves nothing.

No, not really.

Why do you think that is?
wrzwaldo

Postby Slyke » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:40 am

Well thanks for the replies! Unsupported hardware? I didn't know there was hardware for it. I haven't had a look at the requirements for Netstumbler, apart from how much RAM and CPU it needs etc. Where can i see a list of supported hardware? I downloaded it off some site a few months ago. I'm pretty sure it said somthing along the lines of it supports a wide range of hardware.

"But prior to downloading, users need to check if their wireless cards are compatible with NetStumbler and this can be done by visiting their wireless card's Web site or the NetStumbler forum. The next step is to disable the automatic configuration service of the said device. Users of Windows machines, for example, must turn off the Windows Wireless Zero Configuration service, which can be located in the the Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services. "

Can you suggest a site that allow me to use the windows built in Wireless scanner then? Maybe a API call list, So i can make my own list (constructing a program to do so), or another free program that would support my card?

Uhh i have no idea why the admin would have blocked my hotmail email. I've never used these forums before and on other forums i don't miss-behave.
Slyke
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:42 am

Slyke wrote:Uhh i have no idea why the admin would have blocked my hotmail email. I've never used these forums before and on other forums i don't miss-behave.

Don't take it personally. ALL Hotmail addresses are blocked, as are many other free email systems that have been known to allow spammers. Since spam posters have become such a problem, we've had to take active countermeasures.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby streaker69 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:52 am

Slyke wrote:
Can you suggest a site that allow me to use the windows built in Wireless scanner then? Maybe a API call list, So i can make my own list (constructing a program to do so), or another free program that would support my card?

It would probably be wiser and quicker to purchase an supported card.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby wrzwaldo » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:40 am

Slyke wrote:...

Uhh i have no idea why the admin would have blocked my hotmail email. I've never used these forums before and on other forums i don't miss-behave.

But you have obviously missed the rules section.
wrzwaldo

Postby Slyke » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:40 am

Oh ok, Where can i find a list of supported cards?
Slyke
Mini Stumbler

Postby itsnotme » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:20 am

Slyke wrote:Oh ok, Where can i find a list of supported cards?

The welcome desk and the readme that came with the software would be a good place to look. Any card with the hermes chipset is supported, namely the Classic Orinoco card.
itsnotme

Return to Newbie Bin