wifi from a boat

wifi from a boat

Postby jndcummings » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:19 pm

hi all,

we are on a boat that will be going to the bahamas. wifi is available, but since we are anchoring out much of the time, distance to the hotspot can be relatively far. we have a compaq laptop running xp. we currently have built in wifi and a 2 year old linksys external "box" antennae.

a fellow boater recommended that i buy a orinco gold proxim pcmia card and a hyperlink 8.5db gain marine antennae.

couple of questions:

1) is the card an amplifier or just a hardware interface. i have seen antennae that just go to a usb port.

2) are there alternative configurations?

3) how do i know what is compatable with what?

sorry for the basic questions, but we're just starting.

john cummings
jndcummings
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:44 pm

jndcummings wrote:hi all,

we are on a boat that will be going to the bahamas. wifi is available, but since we are anchoring out much of the time, distance to the hotspot can be relatively far. we have a compaq laptop running xp. we currently have built in wifi and a 2 year old linksys external "box" antennae.

a fellow boater recommended that i buy a orinco gold proxim pcmia card and a hyperlink 8.5db gain marine antennae.

couple of questions:

1) is the card an amplifier or just a hardware interface. i have seen antennae that just go to a usb port.

2) are there alternative configurations?

3) how do i know what is compatable with what?

sorry for the basic questions, but we're just starting.

john cummings

First thing you should do is buy a shift key, as no wifi will function without one.

After that, you should read the rules of the forum.

Then you should consider searching as this has been asked and answered several times.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby itsnotme » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:47 pm

How many frigging times is somebody going to ask for Wifi on their boat without searching? Why is it that this is the place to be if you have a boat and want to get/steal wifi?
itsnotme

Postby wrzwaldo » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:23 pm

Howdy John

Are you and Diane still floating about in that Gemini 105?
wrzwaldo

Postby jndcummings » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:31 pm

thanks for the warm welcome. if you ever buy a boat i'll be glad to repay the courtesy.

john cummings
jndcummings
Mini Stumbler

Return to Newbie Bin