NBC's Today Show: It's so 2001

Any news wireless related or otherwise

NBC's Today Show: It's so 2001

Postby Thorn » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:35 am

NBC's Today show did a story this morning about the dangers of using unencrypted WiFi. I felt like I'd stepped back in time at least 7 or 8 years. :rolleyes:

They started off with the usual; Clueless soccer mom accessing her investments in a coffee shop, being ambushed by the camera crew, reporter and 'hacker'. (The hacker was someone from Intense School ) Then a quick segment about a young lady who "almost lost everything" when she used an unsecured network checking her bank balance "when a crook stole her information and tried to wipe her account clean." Then it was off to go wardriving, which is a "new strategy" for hackers. Actually, it was WARDRIVING on the screen. Another clueless user, another ambush. This time a Gen Y 'youth pastor' who "thought he was safe at home."

So the Today Show's tips for security?
  • Use an encrypted network
  • "..look for the 's' in 'https'..." (Which they said was a "power user move" :eek: Their 'expert' really did say that. )

Here's the link to the video: msnbc.com Video Player
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby audit » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:23 am

I think I just threw up in my mouth.
audit

Postby paintballaddict » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:24 pm

Grab a beer and wait for the tards!!

I also love how their "experts" never cover even in the slightest how to secure the networks.

GUN CONTROL: using both hands :D

Radio Shack: You've got questions? We have blank stares . . .
paintballaddict

Postby brwrdrvr » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:05 pm

Just got through watching the video. Where do I get one of them WARDRIVING machines?
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Postby renderman » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:17 pm

renderman

Postby Starpoint » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:40 am

/me preps his flame thrower and gets extra tanks
Against the run of the mill, static as it seems

We break the surface tension with our wild kinetic dreams
Curves and lines -- of grand designs...

Tonight's movie "Soylent Green" has been brought to you by our sponsor - Waste Management

My mind is like a Steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in most states
Starpoint

Postby beakmyn » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:29 am

Oh noes!!!!

Wow he really is an expert there's absolutely no noise in his Netstumbler signal graph!
1:09

How do you do that? For that we turn to Omar Wasso. Homo er Omar.... priceless.
beakmyn

Postby bobfunland » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:39 pm

Didn't we go through this once before with them?

http://http://spacebison.com/files/nbc_today_barry.jpg
[MARQUEE][BLINK]Space Bison: Exploring the Universe[/BLINK][/MARQUEE]
bobfunland

Postby Barry » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:49 pm

bobfunland wrote:Didn't we go through this once before with them?

http://http://spacebison.com/files/nbc_today_barry.jpg

Hey! I just went through the "Stop connecting to the "Free Public Wifi" access points" speech yesterday at work.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby paintballaddict » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:20 pm

Barry wrote:Hey! I just went through the "Stop connecting to the "Free Public Wifi" access points" speech yesterday at work.

Hey I think I recognize that phone your holding in that nbc pic... Is that a Motorola E815?

If so that's awesome, I love to see these things still in action... Hell I recently bought another one off ebay for like $30 in basically brand new condition with only like 10 hours on the lifetime timer.... SWEET DEAL :cool:

paintballaddict

Postby Barry » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:25 am

paintballaddict wrote:Hey I think I recognize that phone your holding in that nbc pic... Is that a Motorola E815?

If so that's awesome, I love to see these things still in action... Hell I recently bought another one off ebay for like $30 in basically brand new condition with only like 10 hours on the lifetime timer.... SWEET DEAL :cool:

No, it was a moto 710, and it was a pos! That's also a three year old picture.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby Airstreamer » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:42 am

paintballaddict wrote:Hey I think I recognize that phone your holding in that nbc pic... Is that a Motorola E815?

I've been 'donated' about 4 of the E-815s. I have one in service now, and one for spare, as the other two have finally failed.

Got lucky on one of them, though. One started squawking about "unable to charge" and I used the binocular microscope at work to rework the solder joints on the connector to get it going again. The receiver in that phone has to be one of the best ever built.

Verizon keeps bugging me to upgrade, and every time I ask them:

Say, this new wonder phone have an antenna port? No? Do you have one that does? No? Then I'll keep mine running thank you.

I use one with a 3 watt amp and a 15dBi yagi for getting phone service where we camp in the summer. I run a chunk of LMR-400 from the trailer plus DC power to the amp that is mounted on the antenna and point it up at a flat face on a mountain peak that is at about 7,000 ft near the campsite.

There is just enough reflected signal to get to one of the cell sites in the area, and since the valley floor is at around 2,400 ft, terrain shielding keeps the signal from interfering.

I've talked to the local phone site tech and he didn't have a problem with it since the only time I use the yagi is up in that valley.
"But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know.""

- Rudyard Kipling
Airstreamer

Postby streaker69 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:26 am

Cleveland: Wi-Fi hacking easier than most realize

But security experts like Christopher Edwards can easily prove just how dangerous public Wi-Fi can be. In a few minutes Edwards was able to hack into the computer of an unsuspecting mother who was cruising the web over coffee.

Nothing like committing a crime and then writing about it.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby beakmyn » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:18 pm

streaker69 wrote:Cleveland: Wi-Fi hacking easier than most realize

Nothing like committing a crime and then writing about it.

I'm just gonna get press credentials and start breaking the law. When they bust me I'll just say I was doing it for a story.
beakmyn

Postby paintballaddict » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:39 pm

Airstreamer wrote:I've been 'donated' about 4 of the E-815s. I have one in service now, and one for spare, as the other two have finally failed.

Got lucky on one of them, though. One started squawking about "unable to charge" and I used the binocular microscope at work to rework the solder joints on the connector to get it going again. The receiver in that phone has to be one of the best ever built.

I forgot that I meant to ask you if you still have either of the broken 815's still and if the screen on one of them is still good... If so I would like to offer to buy it from you as I need a working screen/lid for a broken one I have. Some shithead little kid at my paintball field broke my last one stepping on it. Broke both inside and outside screens... However the phone still works fine, just can't read anything on it. It is still fully modded (I seem edit all my 815's) and just bugs the hell out of me that it's broke, and can't be used as a spare. I'd love to fix this thing and get it up to backup status. :D

Also I have detailed instructions on how to take these apart if you'd like me to email them to you just send me a private message with your email address and I'll send the .pdf to you.

paintballaddict

Next

Return to News