The NetStumbler.org 2005 Aprils Fool event. (was: Netstumbler 0.5.0 released!)

Anything non-wireless related

Postby Dutch » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:01 pm

The Others wrote:Apart from the crappy live cd idea, I think the best version of NS ever got designed. Maybe April Fool's is the perfect think tank solution.


LOL.. When writing the readme file, and trying to come up with believable B.S. G8t and I both started to drool.. Because "What If" it was possible ?
As I understands it, one of the primary reasons that source code isn't available, is because the program contains a lot of code that was developed under Non-Disclosure Agreements. I would guess that it is the code that deals with the direct firmware interaction of the Hermes chipset and the chipsets partly supported, such as Atheros and Prism.

Theorethical a Linux port of NS, wouldn't need those specific parts of the code, if they could utilize the existing Linux drivers, which also would enable a passive scanning ability, like Kismet has.
In effect modularizing the code, would get by that hurdle, and possibly also enabling a Plug-in system such as the one described in the NS.0.4.1.AF.2005 readme.
The question is if we could get Marius interested in such an idea, as there would have to be two different codebases, one for *nix and one for the Windows platform. I for one, would be pleased to contribute on the *nix side (alas the possibility of me actually doing so, are non-existant).

If you look at some of the ideas behind the New Core Kismet development, you can see that Mike actually has thought along those lines, by wanting to modularize the program.
I wouldn't be surprised if, at the end of the day, the New Core Kismet, also will incorporate the active scanning which NS utilizes, and maybe some of the featureset described in the NS 0.4.1.AF.2005 readme.

Convergence is not just the name of the game in hardware.

But if people really want to see a netstumbler similar to the one in the AF event, nothing stands in the way of starting up a project making it come true. Afterall, I don't think MacStumbler has any shared code from Netstumbler, so why should NixStumbler need to be based directly on Netstumblers code ?

We (as in "We, the people.." not "We, an already defined group of programmers..") know what we would like the program to do.
We know how we would like the GUI interface to look like. We have some ideas which might or might not be implementable..
There are knowledgeable people around who probably wouldn't mind advising and providing code snippets. There are Opensource programs such as Kismet and WaveMon, where one can gain information from the source, on how to do stuff.
It is just a question of getting it started and coded. But this is probably the base for a a new thread in the Linux subsection. Feel free to start it up.

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
User avatar
Dutch
 
Posts: 6698
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: City of Mermaids, Denmark

Postby Dutch » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:09 pm

beakmyn wrote:Ha Ha!

Well played. Beers all around. This one will go done in history.

Thank you.. Thank you.. Thank you..
Next years event, will be the release of MiniStumbler on the Nintendo and the Gameboy. :D

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
User avatar
Dutch
 
Posts: 6698
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: City of Mermaids, Denmark

Postby Thorn » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:34 pm

Dutch wrote:Thank you.. Thank you.. Thank you..
Next years event, will be the release of MiniStumbler on the Nintendo and the Gameboy. :D

Dutch

Shhhh.

I'm working on the port to the PSP right now. :cool:
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn
 
Posts: 10340
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 3:00 am
Location: Villa Straylight

Postby streaker69 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:05 pm

I honestly never did believe it.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
User avatar
streaker69
 
Posts: 11867
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:09 am
Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby Barry » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:27 pm

Thorn wrote:Shhhh.

I'm working on the port to the PSP right now. :cool:



Pretty neat little toy. Got one, not a lot to do with the wireless yet, but there is a group of guys trying to port linux to it.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
User avatar
Barry
 
Posts: 5713
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2002 11:10 pm
Location: Ohio

Postby Dutch » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:42 pm

Barry wrote:Pretty neat little toy. Got one, not a lot to do with the wireless yet, but there is a group of guys trying to port linux to it.

Ask them to hurry.. Thorn is almost ready with the MiniStumbler For Linux 0.4.1.AF.2006 port :D

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
User avatar
Dutch
 
Posts: 6698
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: City of Mermaids, Denmark

Postby King_Ice_Flash » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:48 pm

Dutch wrote:Ask them to hurry.. Thorn is almost ready with the MiniStumbler For Linux 0.4.1.AF.2006 port :D

Dutch

I already got it...

DOH, this 700 MB file won't upload to the forums :(
"Yeah," said a voice from under the table, "you go to pieces so fast people get hit by the shrapnel."
User avatar
King_Ice_Flash
 
Posts: 2658
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 11:00 am
Location: WI

Postby streaker69 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:49 pm

King_Ice_Flash wrote:I already got it...

DOH, this 700 MB file won't upload to the forums :(


Just chunk it down into manageable pieces and upload it in seperate messages. 100k pieces oughta do it, right?
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
User avatar
streaker69
 
Posts: 11867
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:09 am
Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby King_Ice_Flash » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:56 pm

streaker69 wrote:Just chunk it down into manageable pieces and upload it in seperate messages. 100k pieces oughta do it, right?

My post count is gonna go up :rolleyes:
"Yeah," said a voice from under the table, "you go to pieces so fast people get hit by the shrapnel."
User avatar
King_Ice_Flash
 
Posts: 2658
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 11:00 am
Location: WI

Postby swtcav99@ » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:15 am

[quote="marius"]Torrent here.

I was going to make the announcement myself while on vacation but it turned out I was in a sufficiently primitive area that I could not.
Dutch sneaked it out without me and is probably in trouble. Sorry it's late, but you know how I like to release things on a tight schedule ]
As I patiently await the windoze release. :)
swtcav99@
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:31 pm

Postby Madhadder » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:31 pm

Y'all are a bunch of bastards... :rolleyes:

Teasing a guy with a new NS release should get you banned from the forums..
Legends may sleep, but they never die!!!!
User avatar
Madhadder
 
Posts: 1619
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 5:37 am
Location: Munich, Germany

Postby Dutch » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:05 pm

Madhadder wrote:Y'all are a bunch of bastards... :rolleyes:

Teasing a guy with a new NS release should get you banned from the forums..


LMAO.. So you also swallowed hook, line and sinker ? ](or was it to further enhance the event, letting people think that I was banned for leaking the beta ? Damn meds, can't remember it clearly... :D )[/size]

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
User avatar
Dutch
 
Posts: 6698
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: City of Mermaids, Denmark

Postby The Others » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:10 pm

Dutch wrote:LOL.. When writing the readme file, and trying to come up with believable B.S. G8t and I both started to drool.. Because "What If" it was possible ?
As I understands it, one of the primary reasons that source code isn't available, is because the program contains a lot of code that was developed under Non-Disclosure Agreements. I would guess that it is the code that deals with the direct firmware interaction of the Hermes chipset and the chipsets partly supported, such as Atheros and Prism.

Theorethical a Linux port of NS, wouldn't need those specific parts of the code, if they could utilize the existing Linux drivers, which also would enable a passive scanning ability, like Kismet has.
In effect modularizing the code, would get by that hurdle, and possibly also enabling a Plug-in system such as the one described in the NS.0.4.1.AF.2005 readme.
The question is if we could get Marius interested in such an idea, as there would have to be two different codebases, one for *nix and one for the Windows platform. I for one, would be pleased to contribute on the *nix side (alas the possibility of me actually doing so, are non-existant).

If you look at some of the ideas behind the New Core Kismet development, you can see that Mike actually has thought along those lines, by wanting to modularize the program.
I wouldn't be surprised if, at the end of the day, the New Core Kismet, also will incorporate the active scanning which NS utilizes, and maybe some of the featureset described in the NS 0.4.1.AF.2005 readme.

Convergence is not just the name of the game in hardware.

But if people really want to see a netstumbler similar to the one in the AF event, nothing stands in the way of starting up a project making it come true. Afterall, I don't think MacStumbler has any shared code from Netstumbler, so why should NixStumbler need to be based directly on Netstumblers code ?

We (as in "We, the people.." not "We, an already defined group of programmers..") know what we would like the program to do.
We know how we would like the GUI interface to look like. We have some ideas which might or might not be implementable..
There are knowledgeable people around who probably wouldn't mind advising and providing code snippets. There are Opensource programs such as Kismet and WaveMon, where one can gain information from the source, on how to do stuff.
It is just a question of getting it started and coded. But this is probably the base for a a new thread in the Linux subsection. Feel free to start it up.

Dutch


Although I agree with what you say, I have one question to ask; this is also a question that made me constantly think that NetStumbler hadn't crossed to linux:

Why would anyone within a linux environment want to employ active scanning?

The only reason I could think of was that people would be able to use any wifi card and not just those that could operate in monitor mode. Being a snob, however, that thought quickly left my heaad when I decided that "the lazy bastards could just buy an Orinoco classic, that's what I did".
all good ends all

?u=273
User avatar
The Others
 
Posts: 2910
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:27 am
Location: Dos Palabras, Mandoras

Postby beakmyn » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:37 pm

Dutch wrote:LMAO.. So you also swallowed hook, line and sinker ? ](or was it to further enhance the event, letting people think that I was banned for leaking the beta ? Damn meds, can't remember it clearly... :D )[/size]

Dutch


Doubly funny when G8t banned Streaker.

[Quote=The Others]Although I agree with what you say, I have one question to ask; this is also a question that made me constantly think that NetStumbler hadn't crossed to linux:

Why would anyone within a linux environment want to employ active scanning?[/quote]

Didn't you read the readme? The new version has passive scanning.
beakmyn
 
Posts: 4858
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:53 pm

Postby renderman » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:54 pm

:D

I love being a bastard.

Glad you all enjoyed the joke. Congrats to Marius for playing along.
User avatar
renderman
 
Posts: 1867
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2002 5:29 pm
Location: Anywhere but Utah

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests