Alberta, Canada

Connect with other network stumblers in your area - including meeting and organized drive alongs

Alberta webpage up...

Postby renderman » Thu Aug 15, 2002 7:20 am

I've thrown a web page up at http://www.renderlab.net/projects/wardrive/group.html for the Alberta contribution to the 'National Stumbling day'

I'll post updates there for everyone.

Feel free to continue to use the forum for discussion, but the above page has the current plans.
renderman

Postby jjkaczor » Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:56 pm

It's official, I'm cleared through local channels of authority (wife), the 31st is open for me, I can take at 2-3 interested people, possibly more "if" she let's me take her car... (will seat 5 passengers no prob.)

Now, best thing is if anyone else from Calgary has their own car, and takes a different route to Red Deer, so we can have more extensive coverage.

I plan on stumblin through Calgary, next through Cochrane, back through Airdrie, and then up the 2a, hittin a couple small towns enroute. Plan to return through Rocky Mountain House, down to Lake Louise, through Banff, maybe even through Bragg Creek.

Anyone who is "shy", and doesn't want to publically message through these forums, send a private message.
jjkaczor

Postby Gish » Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:33 am

I'm glad to see we've got something going. I look forward to seeing everyone on our coordinated drive.
Gish
Mini Stumbler

Postby renderman » Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:52 am

I'm really looking forward to this. Red-Deer is virgin territory, plus we get the added bonus of stumbling different routes home than we came, adding to the coverage.

I've wanted to do that city for a while. Your help is appreciated, I think we should fill out the map of Alberta quite nicely.

Render
renderman

Postby jjkaczor » Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:34 pm

Well, the following (abbreviated) just went out to about 30 local/regional and country-wide news outlets, we'll see if we get any "bites":

======================================

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

======================================

Hackers and geeks worldwide will be inaugurating the first international wardriving day, Saturday August 31st, 2002.

"Wardriving" is a cousin of "war dialing," a term popularized in the 1983 movie "War Games.". War dialing used software to dial many phone numbers automatically, looking for tones which indicated a modem. Wardriving, also known as "net stumbling," is a new variant, focused on discovering wireless computer networks.

This is a "high-tech" hobby, where participants armed with laptops, wireless networking gear, global positioning units and vehicles compete to find as many "wireless" networks in their regions as possible. There are literally tens of thousands of wireless networks operating throughout the world.

Hundreds have already been mapped in Calgary and Edmonton, let alone other communities throughout Alberta.

While there are no prizes, no rules and definitely no glamour, this activity is constructive in that it raises awareness with regards to: privacy, security (or alternatively a complete lack of security), and the growing number of wireless networks sending information over, around and through an area.

On Saturday, August 31st, participants will depart from Edmonton and Calgary converging on Red Deer, Alberta. At which point, we will plan a wardriving route, which we will then use to map Red Deer upon departure.

Meeting time & location:

10 AM

White Spot

6701 - 50th Avenue, Red Deer, AB

We would be pleased to include media representatives for participation as passengers, or competitors. We can provide transportation or setup instructions as appropriate. Space is obviously limited, so contact us ASAP.
jjkaczor

Postby jjkaczor » Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:25 am

Well, another nice stumblin' run. Testing out new setup, Orinoco gold w/external Fab-corp 5dbi antenna.

Not only did the setup perform wonderfully on my 313km commute this morning/evening, I got the pleasure of seeing on of the most spectacular set of northern lights I've seen in 15 years.
jjkaczor

Postby TheWatcher » Wed Aug 21, 2002 7:02 am

Originally posted by jjkaczor
Well, another nice stumblin' run. Testing out new setup, Orinoco gold w/external Fab-corp 5dbi antenna.

Not only did the setup perform wonderfully on my 313km commute this morning/evening, I got the pleasure of seeing on of the most spectacular set of northern lights I've seen in 15 years.

Good to know everything working find to you. Hey! don't forget to send your data to Blackwave ... be part of the masterlist ...
Wardriving.INFO - "wireless web portal"
Wireless Sniffers - we got them, let me know if I missed your tools.
TheWatcher

Postby jjkaczor » Wed Aug 21, 2002 7:08 am

Yes, I just found out about the collective minutes before I started the run. Already sent off my total results to date.
jjkaczor

The Collective

Postby blackwave » Wed Aug 21, 2002 7:32 am

Thanks to all who are the collective :)
-=BW=-
blackwave

Postby renderman » Wed Aug 21, 2002 8:18 am

*Sniff*.... Alberta is no longer my own personal playground.

Oh well, I'll share :)

jjkaczor: can you send me your data from your run? I'm curious if you picked up anything along the highway I did'nt.
renderman

Postby jjkaczor » Wed Aug 21, 2002 8:43 am

whooops, I thought I'd sent it earlier title was "share & share alike", but I've sent it again.

From looking at your web maps, you seem to have more found AP's, however I have a few for Sherwood Park you don't seem to have. Tonight I may drive around Sherwood Park with my new gear, maybe Stony Plain as well, I notice it's bare in your maps.

Plus, my file includes chunks of calgary (pre/post antenna).
jjkaczor

Postby c-mag » Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:16 pm

Originally posted by jjkaczor

Plan to return through Rocky Mountain House, down to Lake Louise, through Banff, maybe even through Bragg Creek.

I know Banff has a couple (corner of the main street + the one with St James Gate for one) but I kinda doubt that there would be any in Lake Louse. But it may just be the apparent lack of broadband anything there that gives me that impression. Also, the actual townsite is really, _really_ small.

fwiw, I've never picked any up on the TC1 driving past.
Stumblematopoeia!
c-mag

Postby jjkaczor » Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:55 pm

I'm thinking I'd pick up one or two from the hotel, as town-site is amazingly small...

After picking up 2 at the summit of Rogers' Pass, I'd bet on finding one at least.

As I plan on going through Rocky Mountain house, connecting via the 11 to the 93, I'm going right by anyway. But then again...

Picked up another 60 AP's in Edmonton last night/this morning on my commute/rounds. New for me, maybe not for Render.
jjkaczor

Postby jjkaczor » Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:57 pm

Now I'm kicking myself. In the last day/two, I've noticed a distinct increase in WEP-enabled AP's (a good thing IMO), however, I should have been saving my data from individual runs to compare previous dates versus current setup. Are they securing? or not?
jjkaczor

Postby renderman » Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:07 pm

Every run of mine is archived seperatly and merged into a single master file. Any changes are updated in the master, affecting my stats. A single live file makes it easy to ship to BW as well :)

You learn these things as you go along

BTW, that netstumbler/mappoint tracker script is very cool. I've already edited it to start in Edmonton rather than cowtown
renderman

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stumblers