Alberta, Canada

Connect with other network stumblers in your area - including meeting and organized drive alongs

Postby c-mag » Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:17 pm

Originally posted by jjkaczor
I'm thinking I'd pick up one or two from the hotel, as town-site is amazingly small...

I was considering that...
Stumblematopoeia!
c-mag

Postby jjkaczor » Thu Aug 29, 2002 8:44 am

Originally posted by renderman
Every run of mine is archived seperatly and merged into a single master file. Any changes are updated in the master, affecting my stats. A single live file makes it easy to ship to BW as well :)

You learn these things as you go along

BTW, that netstumbler/mappoint tracker script is very cool. I've already edited it to start in Edmonton rather than cowtown

Yep & thanks, I just combined all of my files, and my total to date is 843 (incl Cal/Edm/points-in-between/trip to Van).

I will be keeping a daily archive as well.

Yeah, well I'm happy I don't have to use commfoolery (I fubar'ed the settings, and com-port activity went wild on my machine), and I have a live map so when I'm stuck in some weird suburb, I can get out again. Of course, it would help if M$ would update their maps once in a blue moon. Got lost last night, looked at the map, a giant blank hole, looked around, houses & streets as far as the eye could see...
jjkaczor

Postby renderman » Thu Aug 29, 2002 8:51 am

Just a note to the particpants in the Red-Deer drive.

I might be bringing a reporter down with me from 'profit' magazine (some business rag).

He was the owner of an open AP that I alerted to his problem so he already loves wardrivers and the service we provide. He's interested in doing an article and sounds very enthusiastic and positive.

Just warning folks that there will likely be media so no-one do anything stupid. Remember, if you do domething while they happen to watch, they are'nt responsibe. However, if they ask you to do something and you do it, they are in as much trouble as you.

See you Staurday
renderman

Postby jjkaczor » Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:09 am

Render;

chuckle, excellent grab on the profit rep!. I'm wondering how many people are going to show up. An associate who is a starting up a business-oriented wireless (more than just 802.11 techs) newszine/training zine will be there as well.

the calgary sun had a horrible article by "Mike D'Amour" on Monday, full of inaccuracies with a photo of a grim-faced cop+laptop. Made me laugh on one hand, on another....

I contacted him to try to set the story straight, but I guess he doesn't return calls, or read press releases. Oh well.
jjkaczor

Postby Gish » Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:23 am

Yes I saw that article too and wrote him an e-mail as well.
Terrible terrible article
(For those of you interested I scanned it and put it online Linked here )
Gish
Mini Stumbler

Postby renderman » Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:26 am

If you get the time could you scan the article. Stuff like this deserves 'attention'.

This guy sounds like a candidate for joining us. My suggestion would be to keep pestering him and get him to join us to get the truth.

You should goto the Calgary herald and help them with thier WAP and play the 2 sides against each other :)
renderman

Postby renderman » Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:32 am

Just read the article (thanks Gish)

I think I'm gonna be sick.

I think we need to get the reporter AND the cop out on a stumble. the FUD factor on my FUD detector went through the roof. "It's only a matter of time.." obviously he does'nt pay much attention to press releases.

Anyone forwarded the press release to either guy or called the cop? If no one else does, I will.
renderman

Postby Thunderforge » Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:50 am

OMG! That article is horrible! The only thing missing was a mention of accessing missle launch codes.

That is one FUD'd up article.
Back to the forge,
TF
Thunderforge
Mini Stumbler

Artistic FUD

Postby blackwave » Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:59 am

(See Attached)
Attachments
fud.jpg
fud.jpg (46.32 KiB) Viewed 684 times
-=BW=-
blackwave

Postby jjkaczor » Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:00 am

Originally posted by renderman
If you get the time could you scan the article. Stuff like this deserves 'attention'.

This guy sounds like a candidate for joining us. My suggestion would be to keep pestering him and get him to join us to get the truth.

You should goto the Calgary herald and help them with thier WAP and play the 2 sides against each other :)

Aren't they owned by the same company? I seem to recall we have essentially a newspaper monopoly here.

But, it's worth a try, thanks Gish for scanning it, I now have Mikes' email address, I will pester him some more.
jjkaczor

Postby jjkaczor » Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:05 am

whooops, Gish, I don't have the article handy, but your scan chopped off Mikes' email. And the website is "less than helpful" (they publish authors email addresses in print, but not online? gimme a cluestick, they need a good clubbing...)

Could you forward it, private's ok.
jjkaczor

Postby Gish » Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:22 am

Hmm didn't realize I did i'll fix that later.
In the meantime if you want to belittle the author the address is
Mike.Damour@calgarysun.com
I tried to find Sgt Marty Fulkerth, however all the departments I called including the crime prevention unit did not know him. I even showed the article to one of my high up contacts at the Calgary police services and he laughed at it.

I'm not too suprised at the article as it is published in the Calgary sun (For those that do not know it's very close to a tabloid newspapers with 85% of it being advertisments) This level of article would never be published in a more prominent paper like the Post or Globe and Mail.
But thats the 6th grade reading level Sun for you.
Gish
Mini Stumbler

Postby jjkaczor » Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:34 am

Originally posted by Gish
Hmm didn't realize I did i'll fix that later.

Thanks Gish, I used the noodle, and had already sent (there are only sooo many email variations), so let's see if he bites.

Doubtful, as the Sun is tabloid, and reality is not something they'd prefer to report on.

Who knows we may have a "welcome party" waiting for us in Red Deer. While I see no legal problems wardriving, charges could be trumped up on other accounts (reckless driving, stunting (well, Calgary has that stunting bylaw, don't know about Red Deer), who knows what else... )
jjkaczor

Postby jjkaczor » Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:23 am

Originally posted by Thunderforge
OMG! That article is horrible! The only thing missing was a mention of accessing missle launch codes.

That is one FUD'd up article.

Bah, who cares about that guy, I just got a call and reasonable confirmation, we will clear up the FUD PDQ...

CBC TV out of Toronto wants to do a ride-along with me from Calgary to Red Deer, there they want to tag along with someone else. (Render - you game, eh?)
jjkaczor

Postby renderman » Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:31 am

I got a minivan, I can take them all at once!

I just got the Edmonton Sun interested in joining us :) Lets see how Edmontonians like us and how that article goes
renderman

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stumblers