Alberta, Canada

Connect with other network stumblers in your area - including meeting and organized drive alongs

Wake up! WWWD2

Postby renderman » Tue Oct 01, 2002 11:12 am

OK, time to wake up this thread again.

I'm heading up the Edmonton run of the WWWD2 on Sat Oct 26th, Covering Sherwood park, North Edmonton and across to St Albert.

I've not covered much of that territory and no-one else has either.

As for Calgary, anyone want to step up and take that city? I've been emailed by a local non-profit wireless test lab<?> that is interested in going on a run. sounds like 4 people. If no-one steps up, I'll drive down and run a drive the following weekend on Nov 2nd.

http://www.renderlab.net/projects/wardrive/WWWD2.html is the page for Edmonton and Calgary unless someone wants to take over Calgary.

Mail to render@worldwidewardrive.org to help my poor inbox filter the message to me so I don't lose it in the noise. Any questions or suggestions, just ask.

Render
renderman

Thread Wake up

Postby Murader » Sun Mar 23, 2003 9:04 pm

Hello all newbie war driver from red deer. glad to see you liked the city seems we got lots of wireless here. would love to hear from you
Murader
Mini Stumbler

Postby tem84 » Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:49 am

i want a csis file! *wah Wah!
Actually i probly dont, but still :eek:
tem84
Mini Stumbler

Postby Murader » Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:18 pm

ive read the laws im not worried. i would just like to get to meet with more experianced wardrivers
Murader
Mini Stumbler

Postby fitzStewart » Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:19 pm

Originally posted by tem84
i want a csis file! *wah Wah!
Actually i probly dont, but still :eek:

I'll trade you a STASI file for a CSIS one!
fitzStewart

Alberta, Canada

Postby quickdraw » Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:04 pm

I travel all over alberta with work, Calgary, Red Deer, Edmonton ect ect. I live in medicine hat, and have the city mapped out. If your from alberta, give me a PM and we will hook up when and if I drive through town. Also do some work in Sask, but they don't have too many Ap
quickdraw
Mini Stumbler

Postby renderman » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:51 pm

Welcome to my turf.

Check your PM's
renderman

Postby renderman » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:28 pm

Bump.

Just posting that I have started a Wigle group for wardrivers in Alberta. Just trying to get a sense of how many points Alberta Drivers have collected.

Group name is 'Alberta Wardrivers'

http://www.wigle.net/gps/gps/StatGroup/main
renderman

Postby jrcsnet » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:14 am

I'm there... I figure I'm not doing too bad considering the only time I'm stumbling is during my drive to U of C and back each day for the last 3 months.
jrcsnet
Mini Stumbler

Calgary

Postby Airstreamer » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:08 pm

I'm up here for another 1 1/2 week. I'll do a bit of running around after training, or maybe this weekend. (Dec 11,12)

I've run Link Ferret up by GE Energy services, and picked up Probe Requests on EVERY channel (1-11.) Only two or three different MAC addresses source the probes on all channels. Wierd. :confused:

sTEVE
"But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know.""

- Rudyard Kipling
Airstreamer

Calgary

Postby Airstreamer » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:09 pm

Man! Just did a several quick downtown passes starting by the Calgary Tower, running East/West then jumping north by one block, (if possible,) back again, and so forth. Dang laptop was buzzing it was hitting so much, just sitting in my wifes' lap, with no external antenna.
(Nah - don't go there!)

A couple of good AP names:
ILoveBoobies
.:TUNES:.
Borg Network
Nothing to see here, move along.
Mojo Monks
Hacked by Nig-----s (--'d out by me - you get the idea)

Hope to get out to some of the outlying areas this coming week.

sTEVE
"But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know.""

- Rudyard Kipling
Airstreamer

Postby jrcsnet » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:56 am

Nice to hear downtown is covered like that, will have to take a spin down that direction this week as well after writing my exams.

If your looking for other nicely saturated areas, aim for the areas around both U of C and Mt. Royal College... Theres a student or 4 living in each house, and a good number of them have wireless setup. The outer subdivisions aren't doing too badly either, I did a spin through Valley Ridge (west on 16th ave just before city limits) and found around 500 in there. I'd advise bringing an external antenna if you aim for some of the newer development, as most are designed to discourage cutting through the residential areas by having 1 main road and all the houses on cul-de-sacs. I know with my 5dBi omni I can get about 95% of the houses just by driving past the cul-de-sac instead of driving up and turning around.
jrcsnet
Mini Stumbler

Antenna suggestions

Postby North33 » Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:33 pm

Hi folks,

I'm fairly new to this, but I'm hooked from my first little wardrive (Fort Mac). Found 9 AP's during a 5 minute drive! Pretty cool stuff. I'm using an Orinco Gold card w/o an external antenna. I noticed that a few of you are using the Fab Corp setup. However the setup i found on their website only has 5' of cable. Do you find it too short?

One last question, is their anywhere in Canada that a guy can get the pigtail for a MC connector to an N connector?

Thanks,
North33
North33
Mini Stumbler

Postby renderman » Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:31 pm

North33 wrote:Hi folks,

I'm fairly new to this, but I'm hooked from my first little wardrive (Fort Mac). Found 9 AP's during a 5 minute drive! Pretty cool stuff. I'm using an Orinco Gold card w/o an external antenna. I noticed that a few of you are using the Fab Corp setup. However the setup i found on their website only has 5' of cable. Do you find it too short?

One last question, is their anywhere in Canada that a guy can get the pigtail for a MC connector to an N connector?

Thanks,
North33

5' is often too much I've found.

Fab-corp has all you need. I've gotten pigtails from MRO, but the was about equal with FAB and was not as nice quality.
renderman

Postby jrcsnet » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:19 pm

For my setup, I only need about 4.5' overall (antenna on the roof of my neon, and the laptop on the floor of the passenger side), so the 5' cable works fine.

However I should just point out that the 5' is the cheap quality 5.5dbi onmi, which I'd recommend avoiding at all costs. Their 5dbi onmi with the better cable and overall quality has 9' of cable on it, which is far more then is needed for most vehicles.
jrcsnet
Mini Stumbler

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stumblers