Alberta, Canada

Connect with other network stumblers in your area - including meeting and organized drive alongs

Calgary

Postby Airstreamer » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:47 pm

jrcsnet wrote:For my setup, I only need about 4.5' overall (antenna on the roof of my neon, and the laptop on the floor of the passenger side), so the 5' cable works fine.

However I should just point out that the 5' is the cheap quality 5.5dbi onmi, which I'd recommend avoiding at all costs. Their 5dbi onmi with the better cable and overall quality has 9' of cable on it, which is far more then is needed for most vehicles.
\

I got over 1k APs when up in Calgary. I tried to upload to WiGLE but they're having troubles.

Drove around a bit over east of 58th NE St. Lots of APs in the residential areas. I didn't have an external antenna, so I just set the laptop in the front window of the rental car. It had a pretty wide flat surface under the windshield and it seemed to work ok.

sTEVE
"But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know.""

- Rudyard Kipling
Airstreamer

Thanks Renderman

Postby North33 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:50 am

Thanks, I'll be ordering later this week.

Thanks again,
North33
North33
Mini Stumbler

Postby Jay911 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:23 am

Pardon me for the late arrival, but I thought I'd chime in. I started stumbling the Calgary area a week or two ago. Right now I'm using my regular laptop (HP ZD7010CA) with its stock internal card and antenna, hooked up to a Garmin 60cs GPS. I'd like to switch to another machine for a couple of reasons - the lack of external antenna, and the fact that it seems nearly impossible to get some kind of external power source for the ZD. (120W 6.5A is a bit much for the average power point!)

I have an old Thinkpad 600 that I think would be perfect for the job, running Win98SE.. 32GB drive, 400mb RAM, etc, built from parts and such. The only problem seems to be that I made an error in buying a Linksys WPC54G PCMCIA card. NS absolutely refuses to acknowledge its presence. Anyone know where in Calgary I can pick up the necessary card, antenna, etc for stumbling, that will work on the Thinkpad?

I live outside Calgary, but I work in the city. So I have been trying to do a stumble run every time I go out, taking a different route. I actually end up learning more about the city and its layout, and have some fun overall. :)

I've also stumbled Bragg Creek, Redwood Meadows, the Springbank area, parts of Cochrane, along Highways 8, 22, 1, and 1A into the city, and intend to keep going - I end up covering a lot of ground on the west side of the city in the course of business and personal activities. I may also make some trips to the other sides of the city too. :)

I have been archiving my runs into a single NS1 file, and so far I've logged 1411 sites, 693 with WEP. What surprises me, to be honest, is the amount of 'new' sites I've located (according to what I've uploaded to Wigle). I'm showing that 800+ of the ones I've picked up are new to Wigle... I would have thought that as a raw newbie, everything would have been found already. Actually, I'm happier that there's stuff for me to find. It makes it more fun, to tell you the truth. :)

I do something similar to stumbling in terms of radio communications as well. Again, the thrill of discovery is one of the big draws for me. It's also fun to see what is going on in and around the city.

Quick question regarding Calgary and area - is there any page that could be considered up to date with a list of freenets and/or paynets in Calgary area? The page at http://www.infoport.ca/bins/content_page.asp?cid=333-379-616 seems to be the one that Google likes most. I'm a little doubtful of its upt-to-date-ness, though; I haven't found any 'netwireless' SSIDs at all, and the URL doesn't work any more from the page. Also, the 'NEWT' SSID hasn't shown up despite me driving near that location a few times.

Anyway, glad to be here, and hope to get some good scans in in the future!
Jay911
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:11 am

Jay911 wrote:...
I have an old Thinkpad 600 that I think would be perfect for the job, running Win98SE.. 32GB drive, 400mb RAM, etc, built from parts and such. The only problem seems to be that I made an error in buying a Linksys WPC54G PCMCIA card. NS absolutely refuses to acknowledge its presence. Anyone know where in Calgary I can pick up the necessary card, antenna, etc for stumbling, that will work on the Thinkpad?

RTFM.

It isn't the Thinkpad per se, it's the OS. This covered in the README, the FAQ Forums here, and literally thousands of posts. The bottom line is this: If you want a card to function under Win9x, use a ORiNOCO Classic or other card based on the Hermes chipset.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Previous

Return to Other Stumblers