Australia

Connect with other network stumblers in your area - including meeting and organized drive alongs

Postby darkwarden » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:47 am

G8tK33per wrote:What the fuck are you talking about? Put down the bottle and go to bed, you've obviously had way too much to drink.


Lol, it's been a long day and I got stuck watching Big Brother, damn sisters, I think it screwed my brain..................

*hits self*
I don't know what got into me, must have stroked off or something....
"Nobody Screws Stargate Like Seven"

Wanna see a signed script cover? http://www.geocities.com/darkwarden/Stargate/index.htm

World Community Grid: Technology solving problems.
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
darkwarden
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:44 pm
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Postby theprez98 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:54 am

darkwarden wrote:Working as an IT tech, it's both hilarious and frustrating at the number of unsecured networks. Although I love wireless networks I do get sick of turning on my wireless card and detecting so many networks that are unsecured.

I have countless customers ask me for wireless equipment and they all ask about the security systems in them, but they never implement them, they expect them to be turned on by default and they rarely are.

WAKE UP YOU MORONS OUT THERE!

I want more wireless networks secured but it would mean that forums like these would no longer serve a purpose.

I'm so torn between my views on wireless networks.


Just because a network is not secured according to NS does not mean that the users aren't using a different form of security, i.e., VPN.
User avatar
theprez98
 
Posts: 3638
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:23 pm
Location: Maryland

In Canberra (Incuded map)

Postby fatboylives » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:15 am

Hi all. I thought I had replied/posted in this thread but apparently not. I run around Canberra a bit. Have posted my results so far at http://www.gizmoman.net/Wardriving.htm

Needs improving but getting there...
fatboylives
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:11 pm

Postby ShaunLeeClarke » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:00 pm

What are people in Australia using to plot NetStumbler logs?

I've had a good look around and can't find anything. Most people seem to be using MapPoint which AFAIK isn't available in Australia yet.
ShaunLeeClarke
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:57 am
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Postby streaker69 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:02 pm

ShaunLeeClarke wrote:What are people in Australia using to plot NetStumbler logs?

I've had a good look around and can't find anything. Most people seem to be using MapPoint which AFAIK isn't available in Australia yet.


I think there's something called Ozzie Explorer or something along those lines..
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
User avatar
streaker69
 
Posts: 11867
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:09 am
Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby ShaunLeeClarke » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:16 pm

I know of OziExplorer, but I can't seem to find it, and even then there seems to be no existing method to display or convert data from NetStumbler.
ShaunLeeClarke
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:57 am
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Postby streaker69 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:17 pm

ShaunLeeClarke wrote:I know of OziExplorer, but I can't seem to find it, and even then there seems to be no existing method to display or convert data from NetStumbler.


I believe you're mistaken about no way to convert the data. I think I've seen maps in OziExplorer with AP's on them.

http://www.oziexplorer.com/

Link on the left, 'Purchasing'.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
User avatar
streaker69
 
Posts: 11867
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:09 am
Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby ShaunLeeClarke » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:18 pm

I had another look at OziExplorer, but from what I can tell, there is no easy way to plot NetStumbler data.

I might also try to create a program to convert NS1 file data to a format suitable for use with OziExplorer.
ShaunLeeClarke
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:57 am
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Postby streaker69 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:23 pm

ShaunLeeClarke wrote:I had another look at OziExplorer, but from what I can tell, there is no easy way to plot NetStumbler data.

I might also try to create a program to convert NS1 file data to a format suitable for use with OziExplorer.


You don't want to go through the trouble of an NS1 file do ya? Export it as a summary then you just have plain text to deal with, from there you just convert it to a CSV file which most programs can import.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
User avatar
streaker69
 
Posts: 11867
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:09 am
Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby ShaunLeeClarke » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:28 pm

I was planning to use a summary file, not a .NS1 file. My bad.

All I'm trying to do is get a visual representation of the AP's. Such a simple thing is turning out to be not so simple.

I'll have a play with the summary file and CSV formats. See if I can get OziExplorer to read that.

But your right, I don't want to have to write a program to do this.
ShaunLeeClarke
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:57 am
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Postby streaker69 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:30 pm

ShaunLeeClarke wrote:I was planning to use a summary file, not a .NS1 file. My bad.

All I'm trying to do is get a visual representation of the AP's. Such a simple thing is turning out to be not so simple.

I'll have a play with the summary file and CSV formats. See if I can get OziExplorer to read that.

But your right, I don't want to have to write a program to do this.


Writing a program to do it isn't hard. I wrote one to convert Pocketwarrior to NS Summary files in about 40 minutes. It's all just plain text stuff when you're dealing with the summary and CSV so it's cake.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
User avatar
streaker69
 
Posts: 11867
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:09 am
Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby ShaunLeeClarke » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:50 am

I found a program capable of converting .NS1 files to map objects in OziExplorer but I havn't had much success in using it.

The program, for anyone who is interested can be found here.

Thanks for your help.
ShaunLeeClarke
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:57 am
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Postby Tekit » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:51 am

Hey,

I'm also in brisbane :)

Just started out wardriving today, It's kinda amazing to see how many networks are open :S

Would anyone be able to link me to a australian site simmilar to Wigle.net where you can make an account and upload AP's etc? Thanks :)

Tekit.
Tekit
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:41 am

Postby Dutch » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:29 am

Tekit wrote:Hey,

I'm also in brisbane :)

Just started out wardriving today, It's kinda amazing to see how many networks are open :S

Would anyone be able to link me to a australian site simmilar to Wigle.net where you can make an account and upload AP's etc? Thanks :)

Tekit.

Wigle covers Australia as well, except the same item applies for any location outside the US and Canada : no streetlevel mapping data publicly available.

<soapbox>
European and other countries could learn a thing or two about making governmental (as in payed by taxpayer) geodata available free of charge from what the U.S.A. has done with the TIGER data set.
</soapbox>


Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
User avatar
Dutch
 
Posts: 6698
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: City of Mermaids, Denmark

Postby ccie4526 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:41 am

Dutch wrote:Wigle covers Australia as well, except the same item applies for any location outside the US and Canada : no streetlevel mapping data publicly available.


I'll vouch for this, most all the APs found in the Perth/Freemantle area that show up on Wigle were from my trip over there a couple years ago, although it looks like someone new has posted a few more recently.
---
<#include std.disclaimer.h>
AltarThug of Wired and Unwired, The Church of WiFi
http://www.churchofwifi.org
http://www.linuxisforbitches.com
http://www.wigle.net
http://www.kismetwireless.net
User avatar
ccie4526
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2002 3:44 pm
Location: West BFE, Texas

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stumblers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests