California

Connect with other network stumblers in your area - including meeting and organized drive alongs

San Diego Wireless Users Group

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 02, 2001 4:54 pm

Looks like there is a lot of mapping activity going on in San Diego. Is there a wireless users group? I've checked the web and Coputer Edge, but haven't found anything. Anyone interested in starting a group if one doesn't already exist?

San Fernando Valley

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 04, 2001 1:57 pm

Anyone mapping in the SF valley? looking to team up and cover southern ca ;)

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 04, 2001 2:15 pm

I am doing some mapping in SD. I would be willing to help start up a group as well.

-wgs

Please Email

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 06, 2001 3:22 pm

wgs, please email me at sd_wireless@yahoo.com.

San Diego are Stumblers

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 12, 2001 4:55 am

If you're mapping networks in the San Diego area, I'd really like to compare notes, and look at getting a Wireless Users Group going.

Please email me at sd_wireless@yahoo.com.

Irvine - Orange County, California

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 28, 2001 3:45 pm

Anyone want to get together and compare notes?

We have been getting a group together also..

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 28, 2001 6:06 pm

We have also been getting a group together- but we want to put up free access points around San Diego..

Our site..
http://spoke-and-axle.com/sa/wireless.cfm

It would be great to compare notes when we get things figured out.

Los Angeles area?

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 05, 2001 7:50 pm

Anyone other than me stumbling around the Los Angeles area?

Menlo Park, CA

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 05, 2001 10:30 pm

Just installed netstumbler.... wow!

travelling from downtown menlo park to the west side (so basically, from the starbucks on santa cruz ave to the starbucks on alameda de las pulgas), I found no less than 8 networks, (1 encrypted). And I was using a Silver card with no external antenna....

in fact - when I first installed netstumbler in my bedroom - i then picked up the laptop to carry it into the living room and I caught a signal from through the window - someone with an airport... :) turning off my overpowering linksys AP I was even assigned an IP by my mystery airport neighbor and was able to browse the web (legality? hrrmm - well considering i was *totally* passive - ie i would have not been able to tell if i was on my network or the neighbors if I had not been running netstumbler... I've seen the other threads on legalitly... tough call)

anyways - the DNS suffix I was assigned by the mystery AP was stanford.edu... so i didn't stay on long - heh.

JDM

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 06, 2001 7:19 am

I've driven around the Burbank area.

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 06, 2001 1:00 pm

i have been to around most of the san fernando valley, pasadena, glendale, burbank, chatsworth, woodland hills, up and down all of ventura blvd and the list goes on. so far i have been able to stumble 220 networks. i dont have a gps yet but lots of data and a good memory ;)

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 07, 2001 10:14 am

I drove Burbank yesterday. Amazing! I have a magnetic antenna for my car. Garmin GPS. I did some war walking the other day. I stepped of the elevator on four different floors. I found networks on each floor.

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 08, 2001 10:47 am

I'm fairly new to netstumbler but already have found a few networks in the Irvine / Newport Beach area.

Fire off an email... I'd love to work with someone else.

capnkid2@home.com

adventure

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 08, 2001 7:48 pm

I'd be up for it! Please let me know via email - ana220108@mail02.anaserve.com.

will do... as soon as I can find a cheap USB card that works w/ ns

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 08, 2001 11:08 pm

I will be as soon as I can find a cheap USB card that works with NS.

[I will definitly be ns the Glendale area, and downtown and West LA {wilshire/pico/]

BTW: other than the orinoco wireless, has anyone used either the dlink or the linksys usb wireless devices?

Next

Return to Other Stumblers