Georgia

Connect with other network stumblers in your area - including meeting and organized drive alongs

Wigle URL

Postby jasonbourne » Fri Jul 19, 2002 2:48 pm

Wigle is at http://www.wigle.net and Jigle, a java based maping tool is on the same site.
jasonbourne
Mini Stumbler

Postby robert7355 » Fri Jul 19, 2002 3:20 pm

I went stumbling for the first time today. I was quite amazed at what I found. The City of ******* completely unsecure! I found 9 AP's within a 6-8 block radius of the house. I didn't even go over to the industrial park. Gonna try there tomorrow.
robert7355
Mini Stumbler

Marietta/Kennesaw

Postby thomasdd0 » Sun Jul 21, 2002 2:47 pm

A group of us have been mapping the Atlanta area for several weeks now. Would love to get a group together to compare notes. Drop me an email. info@thomasd.com
thomasdd0
Mini Stumbler

Postby cklingler » Tue Jul 30, 2002 5:46 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm in Peachtree City, 17 miles south of Atlanta Airport. I have a laptop with orinoc gold and I just ordered an adapter to use the card on my jornada 568. I'm going to order a yagi and omni tonight. Would love some hints on where to start looking in and around Atlanta.

craig
cklingler
Mini Stumbler

Postby robert7355 » Wed Jul 31, 2002 3:38 am

Craig,
Since you're in P'Tree City you shouldn't have to look too hard! The place is covered up with WAP's. I would order the 5dbi Omni antennae from http://www.fab-corp.com I think it's about $65. I have one and it's great!!!
robert7355
Mini Stumbler

Just look ride around with a external antenna

Postby conan » Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:50 am

Just ride around with a external antenna such as the 5DB omni mentioned above. Some times you find stuff in places you never thought of. I've used mine on the drive to/from work. Just riding around town and any time I go out of my way to some where like the mall or across town.

Conan

:)
conan
Mini Stumbler

Atlanta / North newbie stumbler

Postby EvangelistATL » Wed Dec 04, 2002 11:34 am

I'm new to this forum and stumbling in general and I would be happy to start dialogue with other people in the Atlanta / Buckhead / 400 corridor area. contact me here or via IM's (in my profile)

thanks!
EvangelistATL
Mini Stumbler

Postby astcell » Wed Dec 04, 2002 11:59 am

I was in Atlanta a week ago and got tons of APs, too bad I was driving around at random, if I had a map and a direction maybe I would have covered more.
astcell

myriad AP's in ATL

Postby EvangelistATL » Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:38 pm

yeah I know what you mean.. I turned on NS and went from my parking deck, drove 2 miles down the street to lunch and when I got there I had like 15 AP's in the list. Granted, I'm in a busy area but I can't wait to go drving around my suburb and seeing how many wireless routers are sitting around :)

I've even chalked my own house :) I don't care if somebody piggybacks on my dsl as long as they don't do anything harmful.. being a sysadmin I've got security pretty locked down on my local LAN. ;)
EvangelistATL
Mini Stumbler

cobb

Postby GotChoppers » Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:42 pm

Hey ATLiens,
Whats up guys, another newbie here too. been doing this like 4 days now and drive all over mtro atlanta all day long in my job so i've already got about a hundred hits. Now i just have to figure out how to connect to internet!
GotChoppers
Mini Stumbler

Postby EvangelistATL » Sat Dec 21, 2002 10:16 am

choppers - you have to be careful who's system you just jump onto. some people might consider it "hacking" (i don't)
email me directly through my profile and we'll talk some more in detail :)
EvangelistATL
Mini Stumbler

Postby Nicholasp27 » Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:31 am

Hey guys. I'm from ATLanta as well. I was directed to this site as the place to find out all about getting wireless internet in my car. What kind of equipment do you guys run that gets good service in Atlanta? What software programs and knowledge do I need to do this? Are these free providers all knowingly giving me free access, or is this more like hacking?

thanks,
Nicholas
Nicholasp27
Mini Stumbler

In the 'hood

Postby retrokilla » Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:10 pm

I'm new to 2.4gig and live in Little 5 Points (Atlanta). I have been out a couple of nights. I have stumbled onto 100+ WAP's in pretty small area. Anyone who is interseted in exchanging local info and maybe getting a group together like the SoCal guys drop me a line. I have access to some hardcore RF gear and a wealth of SATCOM knowledge.

-rk
I drank what?
retrokilla

Postby retrokilla » Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:17 pm

Is anyone still following this thread from Atlanta? If so I'm in L5P (Little Five Points) and would be down for a drive :)

-rk
I drank what?
retrokilla

Postby mikee » Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:31 pm

I just got a 5 dbi omni from fab-corp this week. I've only tested it once so far driving into downtown from Fairburn, and it's certainly a BIG improvement over the laptop and Orinoco Gold card laying in the passenger seat.

It would be nice to get a group together and compile our own local list.
mikee
Mini Stumbler

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stumblers