Iraq

Connect with other network stumblers in your area - including meeting and organized drive alongs

Iraq

Postby maxtor » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:53 am

To be more precise Taji, Iraq.
i have found 5 so far on my base.
maxtor
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:04 am
Location: currently, Iraq

Postby rjdenver » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:48 pm

maxtor wrote:To be more precise Taji, Iraq.
i have found 5 so far on my base.


Wow - interesting. Is this kind of stumbling ok by the military?

Rj
rjdenver
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:19 am

Postby RedSector » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:51 pm

I'd think so. There is alot of stuff they can do for some r&r. Bust out the xbox play some games, ect. By the way, I really respect all you troops over there.
Get thine ass into the Church
The Church of Wifi
RedSector
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:06 am
Location: Illinois

Postby maxtor » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:41 pm

rjdenver - i have seen no regulation to say using of software or hardware such as NS is contraband or illegal. But it goes without saying look but dont hack.

Redsector - you hit the nail on the head. Halo2 and mess around with wireless stuff. thanks for the support.
maxtor
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:04 am
Location: currently, Iraq

Postby Monitr7 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:06 am

maxtor wrote:rjdenver - i have seen no regulation to say using of software or hardware such as NS is contraband or illegal. But it goes without saying look but dont hack.

Redsector - you hit the nail on the head. Halo2 and mess around with wireless stuff. thanks for the support.


The only problem is that some of the geniuses that buy APs use them for NIPRNET access (email, surfing p0rn, etc.) while they're in their hooch. That presents a huge problem.

According to the Army (applicable if you're in the Army), no AP is allowed on the NIPRNET unless it is running NSA-approved encryption. Bear in mind that the Army standard pretty much mirrors DoD's, so it's a pretty safe bet the the other Services are doing the same. Some of the chuckleheads I've seen just bring an AP into their office, slap it on to the network, and think they're the shit. Shithead is more like it, as they've opened a big-assed hole in the network.

As far as Halo, Quake, Doom, et al., that's fine, as long as it doesn't touch the NIPRNET. I've seen a lot of those while I'm out rogue hunting. However, you may want to check with your DOIM or Theater Frequency Manager, due to different frequency allocations in different countries.

Best of luck to you guys in the sandbox. Get home safe.
WTOTD Industries - Where quality is Job #3.

G8tK33per doesn't care about the tarded people!
-Kanye West
User avatar
Monitr7
 
Posts: 1694
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:55 am
Location: Rebrandsoftware's mom's house...

Postby Thorn » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:53 am

Monitr7 wrote:... Some of the chuckleheads I've seen just bring an AP into their office, slap it on to the network, and think they're the shit. Shithead is more like it, as they've opened a big-assed hole in the network.

Just like their civilian counterparts. "Regulations? You mean they apply to me?" :rolleyes: You would hope that the military guys would be a bit more security conscious though.

Monitr7 wrote:Best of luck to you guys in the sandbox. Get home safe.

Absolutely.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn
 
Posts: 10340
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 3:00 am
Location: Villa Straylight

Postby sysadmn » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:58 am

Thorn wrote:Just like their civilian counterparts. "Regulations? You mean they apply to me?" :rolleyes: You would hope that the military guys would be a bit more security conscious though.



Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Unfortunately, one of the things you learn in a bureaucracy is how to get around it. If you don't educate users as to the operational security / comm security aspects, they see the rules as noise that can be ignored if they won't get caught. At least, that was my experience in a white collar military environment.
Wigle Stats:
Total New Discovered Networks with GPS: 996
All Networks Recorded: 1,517
Networks This Month with GPS: 850
First Post: 26-Dec-2004
sysadmn
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:37 am
Location: in front of the computer, duh!

Postby Thorn » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:18 am

sysadmn wrote:... Unfortunately, one of the things you learn in a bureaucracy is how to get around it. If you don't educate users as to the operational security / comm security aspects, they see the rules as noise that can be ignored if they won't get caught. ...


Agreed. And I'll be the first to tell you that people who figure that out are usually the only ones to get anything of substance done in a bureacracy. After all, Admiral Grace Hopper was the one who said that in a bureacracy "It is easier to beg forgiveness, than to ask permission."

There is a line though between getting things done and being stupid. The big problem is that most people didn't seem to think through to the next step and evaluate all known risks. There's a hell of a big difference between saying "The risk appeared to be justified under the circumstances for these reasons..." and "I didn't think..."
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn
 
Posts: 10340
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 3:00 am
Location: Villa Straylight

Postby streaker69 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:22 am

Thorn wrote:There is a line though between getting things done and being stupid. The big problem is that most people didn't seem to think through to the next step and evaluate all known risks. There's a hell of a big difference between saying "The risk appeared to be justified under the circumstances for these reasons..." and "I didn't think..."


I've been noticing this as a trend of the past few years. It seems as though people do not consider the consequences of their actions before following a course of action.

I had a luser change the properties of his "My Documents" on his machine after I had it configured to maintain a backup of his documents on the server. Once he made the change, it no longer backed up his files to the server. He then proceeded to delete files from his folder weeks later and then called and wanted them restored from back up and was angry that I wasn't backing up his local machine.

Once I pushed him further I found out that he had made the change, and I plainly told him that I cannot be held responsible for his stupidity in making a drastic change to the system without asking what it would affect first.

That is just one of many examples of this same luser. No thought to consequences, just does things willy nilly.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
User avatar
streaker69
 
Posts: 11867
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:09 am
Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby rjdenver » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:35 am

maxtor wrote:rjdenver - i have seen no regulation to say using of software or hardware such as NS is contraband or illegal. But it goes without saying look but dont hack.

Redsector - you hit the nail on the head. Halo2 and mess around with wireless stuff. thanks for the support.


Gotcha - safe and reasonable though it may be, it just suddenly brought to mind the Furbies-ban for some reason.

Rj
rjdenver
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:19 am

Postby Monitr7 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:36 am

sysadmn wrote:If you don't educate users as to the operational security / comm security aspects, they see the rules as noise that can be ignored if they won't get caught.


Heh. On the other hand, if they actually followed OPSEC/COMSEC standards, I'd be out of a job! I'm kidding, of course. I'd much prefer to see this information disseminated down to the lowest level, to where Joe actually thinks, and considers the consequences of unsecured wireless, before tarding away on the military network.
WTOTD Industries - Where quality is Job #3.

G8tK33per doesn't care about the tarded people!
-Kanye West
User avatar
Monitr7
 
Posts: 1694
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:55 am
Location: Rebrandsoftware's mom's house...

Postby wham » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:12 pm

Keep up the good work Maxtor! Thank you and all of the other troops over there.
wham
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:21 pm
Location: /dev/urandom


Return to Other Stumblers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests