Kentucky

Connect with other network stumblers in your area - including meeting and organized drive alongs

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 09, 2002 6:52 pm

Hey, glad to see another local stumbler! GPS-wise, I use a Magellan 315. I got it for cheap on Ebay, and picked my lighter-charger and serial cable-combo up at Dicks at Oxmoor for $30. It works great, and it compact enbough to take campoing and such too. I runs hours on an AA battery when I'm not on car power, and has never given me any problems.

Hello Hikes Point

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 09, 2002 8:41 pm

Gonarat, You got to get that GPS. Sure helps out. I went down 31w today out Shively and Valley Station way and left the friggin serial cable to my Garmin eTrex at the house.
Guess I'll cruise back that way tomorrow and do it right!

Oh well I got 18 AP's without any GPS data so I then opted for dinner at Steak-n-Shake and "explored" one AP I had a signal on from the parking lot there by Enterprise Car Rental.

I'm open for a meet any weekend Sat or Sun.
It look like there are what? Four or so of us in the area? Let's do it (someone suggest where to meet).

Sean McP, Gonarat, Tad, jimgat (???), Everen (lexington)
OneGuy (Madison)

Meeting place,time

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 10, 2002 3:32 pm

Any place is okay for me, Oxmoor Center is easy to find if Everen can make it , but anywhere is fine. Weekends are good except for the last weekend -- we'll be out of town helping the in-laws move. (Incentive to get that GPS unit).

Well, off to e-bay to see what I can find as far as a Magellan 315...

Gonarat

How about Next Sunday lunchtime or something?

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 10, 2002 6:18 pm

I have a gaming session on Saturday, and work second shift on Sunday, but lunchtime I'd be free to meet at Oxmoor and compare rigs and such.

Sounds good to me

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:44 pm

Around 12:30 or so Sunday would be good for me -- Church is over about 12:00 to 12:15, so 12:30 at the Oxmoor Food Court would work.

Oxmoor Food Ct.

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 12, 2002 12:46 pm

>Around 12:30 or so Sunday would be good for me -- Church >is over about 12:00 to 12:15, so 12:30 at the Oxmoor Food >Court would work.

Got my vote. I can be there at 12:30 Sunday.

OneGuy

Hello from the Chicagoans!

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 12, 2002 1:21 pm

looks like you guys are having a good time! Sean, I was wondering if you might be able to generate some maps for me even though I'm not in your area. Of course you can have permission to post them on your site. Let me know what ya think!!

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 12, 2002 5:47 pm

Okay, 12:30 at the food court it is! I'll bring my windows rig (the linux rig is under reconstruction).

Chicago, send me the netstumbler summary exports and I'll mappoint them tomorrow (the 13th) when I have a few and post it online for you. It takes like 5 minutes from start to finish, so I can do them for anyone. How about, guys from around here? Want maps and such? All I ask is that I can post a copy :-) Just send them to the address I had up a few posts ago; it's the spamtrap, but I'll watch it.

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 12, 2002 5:49 pm

Okay so I'm an idiot; I hadn't posted my email before :-) I'm willing to bet you can figure it out from the domain name htpp://www.seanmcpherson.com tho *heh* sean@ works just fine.

Oxmoor

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 13, 2002 6:27 am

I'll see you at 12:30 Sunday up at the food court. I'll have my laptop with me.

My e-mail Yahoooos!

Gonarat

nice meet

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 17, 2002 11:42 am

Great to meet you guys today. I'm posting this from a Lexington Ave. parking lot, someone elses bandwidth. Just couldn't resist. :-)

OneGuy

Nice to get to see you guys

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 17, 2002 4:45 pm

Yep, was cool to get to put faces w/ names. Now all we have to do is shoot a signal to Indiana :-)

54 more AP

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 17, 2002 5:17 pm

I got 54 additional APs today from the drive there and back. That Fab-Corp 5db mag works much better than my Agere 5db. I even found quite a few more here in town that I didn't know existed before (one very large open pipe to the net too) found a good parking spot for "surfing" on that one. :-)

OneGuy

Got the DB :-)

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 18, 2002 7:29 pm

Well, I got bored last night and snagged the 17,250 or so entries in the big honking DB we discussed at lunch, and started parsing it tonight. I'll prolly be done tomorrow night, and will see if mappoint dies when I hit it with that much data!

Lexington, KY Stumblers.

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 19, 2002 6:20 pm

Greetings All,
Any folks in the Lexington area gimme a shout. I've installed many APs in the area and am planning on implementing more.

I know there is a wireless provider here in town and they are using Breezecom equipment. They are primarily running point to point from the top of the 5/3 bank building but there may be some stumbling bleed areas provided they aren't running WEP.

I've got the GPS unit, and I'm gonna start mapping. I'm gonna start at U.K. since they don't use WEP. They even have DHCP enabled. LOL. I hear the coverage is pretty good. I also know of the others in place around town. This ought to be pretty fun.

Later
Joe.

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stumblers