Maryland

Connect with other network stumblers in your area - including meeting and organized drive alongs

Anyone doing Baltimore?

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 17, 2002 3:19 pm

I have done some minor stumbling in the inner harbor area. Have found some interesting APs'.

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 29, 2002 11:34 am

It would be interesting to drive by/around NSA out at Fort Meade just to see what pops up...:-)

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 09, 2002 5:18 pm

Ok YOU can drive by the NSA and Ft Mead. I will stay here waiting to see if you ever post again.

To change the subject, I had the trusty Ipaq in my pocket while in CompUsa in Towson. They had 2 ap's in there. One with no WEP. So far I have found over 140 ap's from around BWI up into Towson. Havn't gotten to the east side yet. Found a shitload in the Owings Mills and Hunt Valley areas also...

Any Maryland Stumblers

Postby Stbjr » Sun Jun 30, 2002 6:59 am

Are there any out there any where at all
Stbjr
Mini Stumbler

Postby ALapo » Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:10 am

I live in washington DC
ALapo
Mini Stumbler

Baltimore/Washington Organized Drive

Postby Chris » Mon Aug 12, 2002 11:29 am

The Watcher and I are looking at putting together an organized (loosely haha) WarDrive of the Baltimore/Washington area. Depending on response, we would like to pre map routes out for people and drive for a couple of hours each on those routes in order to attempt to map out the entire area.

If you live in the Baltimore/Washington/Northern Virginia areas and would be interested, please reply here and/or send an email to chris [at] defcon [dot] org

Since we don't know what kind of response we will get, there is not a date set as of yet, but I was hoping to attempt to do it by the end of August.

Thanks,
Chris
perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'
Chris

Organized Drive

Postby jcrashmore » Mon Aug 12, 2002 1:20 pm

I'm interested as long as I'm free on the day you pick. I live up in germantown. You can email me at jashmore@comcast.net
jcrashmore
Mini Stumbler

I am also interested

Postby Facekhan » Mon Aug 12, 2002 7:32 pm

I live in Gaithersburg.
Contact me at facekhan@comcast.net or on aim as fvcekhan.

I am free most days. I just started getting into this the last few weeks. I have found a lot of residential AP's that don't even have admin passwords set. I have a power inverter for the car as well.

Since I have a dlink 650+ I have been playing around with boingo as my scanner. Its not too bad. The interface is a little aol-ish but it works better than the inlcluded utility.

I may also have access to a gps unit of some sort, but I don't know whether it can connect to a pc.

On a side note: If I have some open ap's that I can access from my house is there an inexpensive way I can setup my router/ap to bridge one of their networks and connect to my wired lan and cable modem and setup load balancing so I can use both lines.

I have a Dlink 614+, a switch, hub, and 2 dlink 704p's to work with. If I need a higher end router I can configure a cisco router, so if anyone has a spare one and wants to try this out it might be fun.
Facekhan
Facekhan
Mini Stumbler

Postby taiho_trd » Mon Aug 12, 2002 7:50 pm

I live in the Baltimore area....ekridge to be exact..im interested in joining your planned wardriving..just send me a mail at taiho29@msn.com......Im equipped with a HP Jornada 568 with ministumbler on it and with an extended antenna...found a lot of open AP especilly in the laurel area
taiho_trd
Mini Stumbler

Wow

Postby jcrashmore » Mon Aug 12, 2002 7:55 pm

Looks like theirs more folks than I thought stumbling around md. Today was my first day out. No external antenna yet but I found about 15 aps in on my way to 711 and to taco bell. Also found one of my neighbors running a ap. I was able to sit on my frontporch and hit his network. Wonder if he's been doing the same :)

We're definately going to have to plan a group drive soon.
jcrashmore
Mini Stumbler

Postby Chris » Mon Aug 12, 2002 7:59 pm

Excellent. I am going to try to figure out a good date to do this. I am thinking sometime around the end of the month. A GPS will be important so that we can map everything out properly.

I will get with The Watcher and see when a good time for him is and post/email back in the next day or so with a date.

I also am guessing that we are going to need to do this on a Weekend in order to increase the number of folks that can participate.

Thanks...
Chris
Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Aug 13, 2002 9:49 am

Assuming we can get at least 10-12 vehicles for this, how does 31 August sound to everyone? It is a Saturday. I would personally prefer to do Baltimore the first time out and then do DC seperately. That way if we have enough people, we can map out most if not all of Baltimore in a 2 or 2.5 hour drive each.

Then a week or two later do the same thing with DC.

Let me know how that sounds to everyone.

Chris
Chris

Postby captaindrewle » Tue Aug 13, 2002 11:55 am

I'm interested also -- I live in Rockville and work in McLean..

Only problem is that I don't have a gps unit and even if I did, I don't think macstumbler works with gps yet.

However, I do have a super k-rad directional soup-can antenna that I can twist around really fast with my ninja skillz, for that extra home-style dBi.

I'll still come out just to have some fun. Maybe I can organize the post-stumbling party. :)

-Cpt'n

EDIT:

Hummm.. I think I may have a solution for myself:

Yellow Dog linux
Orinoco driver patch
Kismet
USB -> Serial cable
Garmin GPS unit
captaindrewle

Postby Chris » Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:12 pm

Sounds good. In about a week I should know if we are going to have enough people to make this worthwhile. I will let you all know.
Chris

Postby carman63 » Tue Aug 13, 2002 4:29 pm

Originally posted by Chris
I would personally prefer to do Baltimore the first time out and then do DC seperately.

Downtown Baltimore, near the Broom Factory, I consistently get 5-6 hits (one of them IDs itself as the Broom Factory) simultaneously and NONE of them register lat/long, and I usually wind up locking up NS at this time.

Anyone else ever get this situation?

Jim
carman63
Mini Stumbler

Next

Return to Other Stumblers