Massachusetts

Connect with other network stumblers in your area - including meeting and organized drive alongs

Postby amex101 » Thu May 23, 2002 5:20 pm

Mostly central-western mass. Jim
amex101
Mini Stumbler

Central / Eastern MA

Postby agentgrn » Sun May 26, 2002 6:47 am

I stumble central and eastern Massachusetts here...mostly around the northern Rte. 128 area.
-A.G.-
agentgrn

Postby amex101 » Mon May 27, 2002 4:39 am

agentgrn, nice web site. Jim
amex101
Mini Stumbler

Got GPS?

Postby drewzhrodague » Thu May 30, 2002 11:43 pm

If you're stumbling Mass, upload your data to <a href="http://mapserver.zhrodague.net">http://mapserver.zhrodague.net</a> to see your findings mapped-out!
drewzhrodague
Mini Stumbler

Rte 128 AP Longitudinal Analysis

Postby agentgrn » Fri May 31, 2002 1:16 am

You MA stumblers may find my next article interesting...but I'll sum it up here. ('cos I'm impatient when it comes to writing stuff up early)

I've gone and done a stumble of the Boston area every other month for the last 4 1/2 months (just finished the third stumble). One thing I've been noticing is that while the number of APs seems to fluctuate, a lot of the APs seem to have changed from time to time, which is kinda freaky.

Once my new pigtail comes in, I need to redo my May stumble to make sure everything is cool.

Has anyone else stumbling the state noticed the same kind of thing over time?
-A.G.-
agentgrn

AP's changing

Postby outcast_one » Fri May 31, 2002 5:08 pm

Most areas near me seem to get an AP or two added every month or so. A few buisness AP's have "dissapeared", most likely because they shut down beacon responses. Netstumbler does not see them anymore. As more articles appear on wireless as "insecure", don't be surprised to see AP's being removed or beacon response turned off.
outcast_one

Re: AP's changing

Postby agentgrn » Fri May 31, 2002 7:16 pm

Originally posted by outcast_one
A few buisness AP's have "dissapeared", most likely because they shut down beacon responses.

A security tactic they should have employed in the first place. ;)

I can't help but wonder what a raw comparison between Netstumbler data and a passively obtained AP list would be like.

I gotta find another laptop...
-A.G.-
agentgrn

Burlington, MA area WD

Postby WiFiCasper » Fri May 31, 2002 9:50 pm

I'm staying up here in Burlington, MA for a bit. Just started stumbling around the area. I see that Agent Green has been busy in this area too...:)

Lots of hits around this area.

I am currently using a Dell 8100 1.2ghz P3
15" UXGA
512mb RAM

I just picked up a new Orinoco Gold card to run with Netstumbler. I really would like to get an ext antenna, just not sure of which to get. If someone has any suggestions, please email me at

wificasper@yahoo.com

Thanks everyone...this is a great and interesting forum.
WiFiCasper

Postby agentgrn » Sun Jun 02, 2002 8:03 pm

I pretty much got most of Burlington stumbled by the end of January...but only about 80% of it. It was cold and crappy, and stumbling the town was an extremely time consuming process, so I did as much as I could have before I started back to school at UMass.

When comparing areas of 128, the Burlington sections between exit 32 and 34 have the most activity.

Having an external antenna makes a big difference. I'd have to recommend anything external that's an omni with at least a 5 dbi gain. I've got a Maxrad that works pretty well, though I broke my first pigtail after only six months of duty.

Since I'm in Burlington for the next month and a half before I move to Worcester, let me know if you're up for some collaborative stumbling. It should make covering some more of the geography easier. :)
-A.G.-
agentgrn

Postby agentgrn » Wed Jun 05, 2002 3:40 am

Got all my Rte 128 maps done, and a small longitudinal map. Also did the whole spread of Burlington with the last data set I acquired, dated 01/25/2002. I'd consider finishing the town if more than 4 months hadn't passed already. As such, some of the data might be invalid.
-A.G.-
agentgrn

Lexington, Massachusetts (MovingAboutLexington2002)

Postby ReaprZero » Wed Aug 28, 2002 5:44 pm

Hi,

While wardriving tonight, I found one very interesting one for a couple seconds.... its SSID was: MovingAboutLexington2002

I'm very interested as to what this is and who these people are. Are you fellow wardrivers? Or what? :)

-Alex (Still can't drive, did some "warbiking" :) and found stuff while in the car)
ReaprZero
Mini Stumbler

Postby wackyfun » Fri Sep 06, 2002 2:20 pm

Whoa, I just came back from wardriving in the Lexington/Waltham area, and I saw the same SSID.

Where'd you see it? If I recall correctly (have yet to dig up the money for a GPS setup), it was near the fire station near Follen church.
wackyfun
Mini Stumbler

any luck in the Boston area?

Postby Newbie02 » Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:38 am

I already know about Newbury St (http://www.newburyopen.net). Anyone know of other places or stumblers in the area?
Newbie02
Mini Stumbler

Postby bigezy » Sun Sep 22, 2002 5:45 am

I know of a few stumblers in the area.
bigezy
Mini Stumbler

Postby biko » Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:53 am

I have been pretty successfully stumbling in Cambridge. I don´t have a GPS though, so there are no maps.
But on a 10min ride down Mass. Ave I picked up 61 APs.
biko
Mini Stumbler

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stumblers