Texas

Connect with other network stumblers in your area - including meeting and organized drive alongs

Yep

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 17, 2001 8:04 pm

I just started stumbling today, already found that my favorite coffeehouse (Flightpath) has a wireless network in the area.

Any interesting stumblings around town? I've heard that downtown is rife with open LANs, but I've yet to explore.

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 18, 2001 6:28 pm

Just started myself
Found one in Round Rock,near Fern Bluff.
Just ordered a pigtail for my card, should be here Friday.
Plan on hooking up a home built antenna. Then I should have a few more to share.

Downtown Austin

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 21, 2001 9:29 am

Yes, there are lots of networks downtown. A ride or walk down Congress Avenue will net a number of them.

There are four or five available at the corner of 6th. Another good area, as you might imagine, is the Research/360/183 triangle.

cool rips

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 25, 2001 7:34 am

Austin rocks, there is more to do than party there. Check out the Oltorf and Caesar Chavez areas. You will be interested there.

Flightpath wireless (more info)

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 26, 2001 5:23 pm

It's a legit AP that FlightPath itself is hosting. name is 'default' (all lower case) and it's a Prism I AP. Excellent signal in the shop.

I hear that there's LOTS of open nets downtown, but haven't explored these yet.

I'll try Oltorf.

Tell me how much the pigtail helps--I might get one myself. I'm going abroad soon and have little hope that there'll be any wireless APs I can find, but if there are any, I'll certainly need extended range to get in.

Fun Stuff

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 03, 2001 6:38 am

It's seems like a lot have people have been doing this recently. I've been searching for wireless networks ever since I installed wireless at work and had access to a lucent card (a little more than a year ago I think). Back then there weren't many networks to find.... though I did find one in my own building and one at a fast food reasteraunt and one at the ACES building. Now it's more like most of the city is covered with one network or another. I used to used my Lucent card and trust it to connect to a network for me, but now I use a Prism2 based card because it allows me to see more than just the networks I connect to.
Plug:
Come by the 2600 meeting sometime, http://austin2600.org/
we talk about nerdy stuff all the time and maybe if we can get a school bus we can all go war driving together.

airport, as in planes.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 03, 2001 6:27 pm

i stumbled the austin airport when i was flying through a week or so ago and there were several AP's in there with high-speed and a genuine, real IP#, none of this NAT stuff. however, you do have to pay for the access, but NS finds the signals just fine. i didn't have my GPS but i submitted a generic austin airport GSP location with my findings... if anybody wants to hit it with a GPS and see if they can get real stuff that might be better.

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 07, 2001 10:23 pm

If anyone is interested in in hooking up with other wardrivers in the Dallas area, come to the 2600 meeting the first Friday of every month. It starts around 7:30PM and takes place at the Momma's Pizza on Preston and Campbell.

Bring your gear and we'll see you there.

DFW Wireless

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 08, 2001 10:42 am

Have any of you been involved in this?

http:\\www.dfwwireless.com

I've tried to get more info to help, got a short reply and then nothing. I'd like to get a dish on my house and possibly help to get some antenna's around the city. I live around 75 and Lovers. Anyone know of any AP's near. I also have no cable or ADSL available. Right now, I've got 144/144 IDSL that really sucks.

DFW Wireless

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 08, 2001 10:43 am

I totally gave the wrong URL, it's http:\\www.dallasfreenet.com\

Sorry.

Sent Email

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 10, 2001 7:47 pm

I sent the guys an email we will see what they have to say.

Bish

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 11, 2001 6:11 am

oh...that site just begs to be redesigned. :)
Oh, did I mention that I have a web server that's doing a whole lot of nothng right now, and that I work for a hosting company? :)
heh, I'm going to work on a little something and post it later and see what you guys think (them too, the guys that run the site).
I have some pretty good ideas for a logo too...I worked on 'em last night.

Anyway, I'll let you know when something's up....

-enygma

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 11, 2001 10:39 am

I have also contacted them and have some roof space we may be able to use in the Park Ln. and Central area. I am waiting to hear back from them. By the way. The 15 dBiMini-Grid Antenna at http://ww.hyperlinktech.com is on sale for $49.95. It has a a 15 degree spread and would be great for anyone wanting to help out with gear for the freenet project. Let the guys at www.Dallasfreenet.com know if you can help out.

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 12, 2001 10:29 am

I sent them an email a while ago and got a short email back asking if I could help with the roof space problem. I replied back asking for more info on what they're doing and haven't heard from them. Look the guy Alexander Muse up on www.layerone.com. I'm just itchin to get something connected to that 100Mb/s connection on the Univison tower but have trees blocking my LOS.

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 12, 2001 1:02 pm

just wanted to see what you guys though of the layout so far...

http://bender.no-ip.com/freeweb/

feel free to give suggestions....

-enygma

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stumblers