United Kingdom

Connect with other network stumblers in your area - including meeting and organized drive alongs

Postby Andy M » Mon Jul 29, 2002 8:23 am

Hi,

I'm in Chester, e-mail me at: andym172@hotmail.com

Andy.
Andy M
Mini Stumbler

new antenna!

Postby x72.1 » Wed Jul 31, 2002 11:12 pm

sweet!!!

have just picked up a yagi from ebay, good price too,,,

t'other day while wardriving, i picked up a company...but with just the laptop in the car, with no external antenna, i could pick up a signal abt 10-15 yd's in frontm and to the side of the building.....i live about 0.5 mile away from this building (line of sight) and today unpacked the antenna, fired up the laptop on the kitchen sink, point the antenna out of the window in the approx direction....and got an amber light!!!

oh sweet sweet sweet...

....right lets go find a big hill!
x72.1
Mini Stumbler

Postby RufusG » Thu Aug 01, 2002 10:16 am

Hello all

I drove around Central London last week, with an external magmount antenna for about 1 hour.

I found 39 AP Access Points, of which only 13 had WEP enabled

I was only able to gain Internet access to 3 of the non-WEP sites, whcih meant that I could download my email.

Paddington Station has a trial set-up by Megabeam, who have 6 Symbol Access Points there. I spoke to them and gained a trial account ( http://www.megabeam.com - they hope to go live in September )

I also found some open Access Points at Farnborough Air Show last week, which I used to send some email.

Anyone else have news of useful live Access Points in UK ? :)
RufusG
RufusG
Mini Stumbler

Postby hollowing » Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:41 pm

Just back in from my first drive.

Found nothing at all in the hour I was out.

Just sleepy South Devon I guess, (or I've set-up badly).

Looks like I'll have to get my own AP after all.
hollowing

Calling Southampton, UK...

Postby Sly » Fri Aug 02, 2002 11:08 am

Planning on establishing a hotspot very near Soton University, UK (hopefully covering part of it).

Should hopefully get some good coverage, with access to adsl etc. Looking for others interested in pushing it our further, backbone links and all that kinda fun stuff! Let me know if you are interested :-)

Hey, if you are that close try me (M1BWT) on 145.550 (amateurs only, of course!)

sly@slyware.com

Si
Sly
Mini Stumbler

Postby x72.1 » Fri Aug 02, 2002 1:47 pm

where abt's s.devon u tryed?? plymouth?
x72.1
Mini Stumbler

Postby hollowing » Fri Aug 02, 2002 2:16 pm

Torbay.

Today's expedition was more useful tho' - I have now actually found stuff - I pulled up 4 AP's.

Looks like its an external antenna next (and an inverter as the lappy's battery is err, questionable).

Plymouth & Exeter are next.
hollowing

Postby x72.1 » Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:21 am

I've got an omni on it's way, and when that arrives, i plan to have a day, just driving round the local towns, including plymouth.

I know what u mean abt the laptop's battery!! i think my boss has an invertor which i could prob borrow (hope).

Let me know when u plan to do plymouth, and if i get to it before u, or vis-versa, we can compare notes.....

got a copy of mappoint t'other day - bloody great proggie...so when i get the laptop, GPS,ext antenna, and mappoint all going (only waiting on the omni), it should be bloody good fun,hi.
x72.1
Mini Stumbler

Postby hollowing » Sun Aug 04, 2002 4:15 am

Yeah, no worries - will do.

I plan to sample in Exeter this week, so Plymouth'll be next week now (probably).

The inverter will be ordered in a minute, my pigtail's on order -
...and I was going to make one - but where did you source that omni ?

Next on todays 'things to buy list' is an AP to experiment with too, (Hmm, eBay here we come).

For mapping I'm using the Garmin s/w, but I'm being tempted by Mappoint too.

Be nice to add an ipaq'ed mini-rig too at some point - ah well, a mans gotta' have a hobby......
hollowing

Postby x72.1 » Sun Aug 04, 2002 1:09 pm

the omni was a fabcorp item...i'll dig up the url,,but it'll be in the antanna forum somewhere....i was getting the bit's to make one, and also souriing ebay..but when i looked at the fab page...even with international postage, it was still a good deal..i also got a smaller pigtail and a connector from them...

hopefully i'll get round to plymouth next week...i'll hae to see if i can pull everything together.

ref mappoint - it is a really good prog., and u can get a 2 month trial version direct from microsft for only 9 dollars - abt 7 quid. that's what i've done.
x72.1
Mini Stumbler

Postby zoro25 » Mon Aug 05, 2002 12:13 pm

I'm also from UK and should be up and running by the weekend (if all ordered equipment arrives)

Ipaq PDA and orinoco card

I should be quite mobile and live near Reading. . I work in Bracknell and between the 2 towns and slough (my other house) there are loads of IT companies. . There is the one I work for (will remain nameless) Microsoft, compac, worldcom, Computer associates, those are just the big ones. . there is also
http://www.tele2.co.uk a wisp . . so I shold be able to pick something up .
anyway I'll post again next week to let you know how I get on. .
basic previos wardrive of Reading listed here (not my drive) http://www.random-works.co.uk/reading/
All security can be circumvented . .
all it takes is time
zoro25
Mini Stumbler

Up north!

Postby Dirky » Mon Aug 05, 2002 2:09 pm

After playing around with 802.11b network design/deployment
at work, I took my first "stumble" last Friday!

I did not have a GPS hooked up at the time but its pretty
awkward driving with an iPaq propped up on the steering wheel,
held it up to get better signal.

Suprisingly picked up 5 AP's on my 6 mile drive through Lancaster to sunny Morecambe.

I've hooked a Etrex up to it now. I'd like to get the data out
of Netstumbler and on to a map somehow?
I heard some of you talk about Mappoint?

Can I put the data in to this?

Cheers

Mike
Dirky
Mini Stumbler

Re: Up north!

Postby rogerRabbit » Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:40 pm

I heard some of you talk about Mappoint?

Can I put the data in to this?

MapPoint Europe & AutoRoute Express (the cheaper, less-featured MS product) are fine for importing.
rogerRabbit

Postby poltergeist » Tue Aug 06, 2002 3:44 am

I am looking forward to getting my Symbol card for my PDA this week and then go for a stroll around York. I will let you know if I find anything interesting.

:-)
poltergeist
Mini Stumbler

Re: Re: Up north!

Postby Dirky » Tue Aug 06, 2002 3:47 am

Originally posted by rogerRabbit

MapPoint Europe & AutoRoute Express (the cheaper, less-featured MS product) are fine for importing.

So do I need to do anything to the netstumbler files to import
them in to either of the above?

thanks

Mike
Dirky
Mini Stumbler

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stumblers