United Kingdom

Connect with other network stumblers in your area - including meeting and organized drive alongs

bracknell

Postby x72.1 » Tue Aug 06, 2002 9:51 am

hmmm, funny that...was in bracknell a few weeks ago, for a cisco/c2000 day seminar on wireless security! or rather lack of it. i'm not going to say i didn't learn anything new...but i did fall asleep for a while ;-)
x72.1
Mini Stumbler

Re: Re: Re: Up north!

Postby rogerRabbit » Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:22 am

So do I need to do anything to the netstumbler files to import them in to either of the above?

They need tweaking, which you can do yourself or there are quite a few utilities around e.g. StumbVerter. Do a search (:)) and you'll find the threads.
rogerRabbit

SE Devon update

Postby hollowing » Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:59 pm

Only had time for a quick trip today, but I could find nothing out at either Exeter airport nor on the Sowton industrial estate.

Picked up one [Netgear] AP on the M5 above Topsham.

Found three AP's in Newton Abbot, which was a *big* suprise. None of them had WEP enabled.

Thats 100% non-WEP so far for S Devon AP's. (Sigh).

8db Omni "in the post", so we'll see what that does (apart from making the car look *more* like it does now).

My own AP was been delivered today, so it may be interesting to set this up non-WEP / DHCP, and see who or what I collect.

Damm, that's another antenna to get now......:D
hollowing

West London

Postby ffc » Wed Aug 07, 2002 1:29 pm

Most of my kit turned up today at work.

My current setup is;
Gateway Solo 9300XL Pent III
Orinoco Gold Card
ORiNOCO 5 dBi Omni-Directional
Plus some good luck
Dlink 1000ap for home use.

Only joined the forum 2 days ago so still alot of learning to do :)
Set all the equipment up and drove home from work with my lappy on the front seat, cranked the volume up (for netstumbler finds!) and picked up 9 AP's on the way home from Richmond to West London. Only 5 were Wep enabled and 3 of the AP's looked to be for business use.

Gonna do the same tomorrow via a different route and see what I get?

Equipment left to get
--------------------------
Trying to pick up a decent s/h Garmin II /III GPSon ebay at the moment.
Orinoco 14Dbi Yagi.

Anyone else here from the West London area?
ffc

Re: bracknell

Postby zoro25 » Wed Aug 07, 2002 1:40 pm

Originally posted by x72.1
hmmm, funny that...was in bracknell a few weeks ago, for a cisco/c2000 day seminar on wireless security! or rather lack of it. i'm not going to say i didn't learn anything new...but i did fall asleep for a while ;-)

did you find anything of interest. .??
or all work and no play . .
All security can be circumvented . .
all it takes is time
zoro25
Mini Stumbler

Postby x72.1 » Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:34 pm

unfortunatly - all theory.....

didn't have the kit to do it then....would of been a good drive though - cornwall to reading in 3 hours, took 5 to get back though. The chap who was doing a demostration as part of the seminar, couldn't actually get his kit to work - must of felt like a right plonk ;-)

I think i might get a 'pizza delivery' box for my motorbike - i just look too suspicious at the mo,hi
x72.1
Mini Stumbler

Postby zoro25 » Thu Aug 08, 2002 2:19 am

good idea about the box for the bike. .

I've ordered a mag mount omni and I drive an MR2 so I'll look like the weirdest mini-cab around:D
all it takes is time
zoro25
Mini Stumbler

Postby poltergeist » Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:20 am

I haven't received my symbol card yet for my pda but hopefully it'll turn up today or tomorrow and then I can go for a wander around York & Reading looking for nodes

Zoro, for your info, I am in the process of setting up a node in the centre of reading. Where abouts in Reading do you live? my node is registered on http://www.consume.net (poltergeist).

Cheers
poltergeist
Mini Stumbler

Postby zoro25 » Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:48 am

Hi poltergeist . . I've been to the reading consume site . . and they were thiking about having a meeting sometime in Sept-Oct so I will attend that one. .
I'm in Spencers Wood (just on the opposite side of M4) . . but still Reading postcode and tel code.. .
all it takes is time
zoro25
Mini Stumbler

Postby poltergeist » Thu Aug 08, 2002 5:11 am

nice 1. I will try and make it too.

What's the url for the reading consume site please?
poltergeist
Mini Stumbler

Postby zoro25 » Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:16 am

all it takes is time
zoro25
Mini Stumbler

West London

Postby ffc » Fri Aug 09, 2002 9:41 am

Any stumblers from the West London region?
ffc

Stumbling so far...

Postby ffc » Mon Aug 12, 2002 10:50 am

Take it there is no one from West London?

Anways just completed my 1st week stumbling. Still have a lot to learn - a lot of trial and errors. Must say a big thanks to everyone who has posted on this forum and contributed so far. Spend a bit of time searching for info and you will definitely be rewarded.

Stumbling lessons learnt so far :)

Not So Good
=========
1, Pay more attention to the road and not glance at the Laptop screen every few seconds.
2, When it rains the noise of the wipers is louder then the NetStumbler warning on my laptop. I am missing out on New AP's.
3, Slamming on the brakes at the last minute isn't good for the gateway lappy :(
4, Once finding an open AP - parking is a problem in London! Hence the purchase of a Yagi.
5, Discovering that a major software house in West London wasn't running a WLAN.

Definitely Good
===========
1. Whenever I am driving around London - the laptop is now always on, searching for AP'.s
2, Very addictive buzz to when finding new APs.
3, My Lucent Gold Card is the dog's b*llocks :)
4, Taking my boss out in the car yesterday and finding 4 Open AP's at Hogarth Roundabout!
5, Driving past major companies and discovering that nearly 50% on the WLAN's are open.
6, Watching other drivers go about their business - no hidden agenda - just getting from A to B. Myself, stumbling is about peeling back the layers of what is around us and investigating it more :)
7, Discovering WLANS in the most unexpected places

My Lucent yagi is turning up tomorrow at work. As soon as I get my camera back I will post some pictures of my setup.

Cheers
ffc

Down South

Postby ffc » Wed Aug 14, 2002 10:45 pm

Been out of town for a few days. Working in Portsmouth in the south coast of the uk.
Took the car out for a spin, with the laptop of course. Spent 40mins driving around and stuck to the main roads - only managed to pick up 8 ap's. Bearing in mind I don't know the area that well and only stuck to the routes that I am familar with. Looks like WLAN hasn't fully hit Portsmouth yet?

I had more luck driving back to London last night up the A3 - once I had hit Guildford the AP's came flying into the netstumbler :)
ffc

Postby zoro25 » Wed Aug 14, 2002 11:52 pm

well I got the Ipaq, the expansion pack and also my gold card.
went for a little drive to pick up my fiancee
Bracknell to Slough (about 15miles) and found 14 AP's
I don't have a GPS but their locations are roughly

2 on the road exit from my work place not sure of the road name AP's = Wlan and Wireless
3 on the Met office roundabout (met office = Snapple)
another 3 on the road to ascot = Wirelesscrew not sure of other names )
about 5 just down the road from lego land on way into windsor, by the roundabout. . .all = windsor
one in slough by the brunel roundabout = 7sssl (looks like beloongs to thames valley uni)

the names after the = were the ID names picked up by NS. .
I was using no antenna just the gold card in my car driving at about 40-50mph . . all signals were very week (except for the windsor ones which were better but still not that strong). . when the omni arrives this should be sorted. . .
drive route taken listed here . . please note that the numbers are not representing APs

http://www.multimap.com/map/aproute.cgi?client=public&X=495000&Y=175000&width=500&height=300&coordsys=gb&itineraryxylist=486745%2C169300%3B497325%2C180066&qs=s&starttime=08%3A56&rn=GB&scale=100000&out.x=10&out.y=15
all it takes is time
zoro25
Mini Stumbler

PreviousNext

Return to Other Stumblers