Axim x3 seeing cloaked SSIDs

Axim x3 seeing cloaked SSIDs

Postby irongeek » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:40 pm

My friends Axim x3 seems to be seeing a cloaked SSID (in both WiFiFoFum and the drivers site survey screen), but I thought only tools that can put the card into RF Monitoring mode could see cloaked SSIDS? My Axim x5 with prism2 card can’t see it, Netstumbler cant see it either. The only tools I have that can see the cloaked SSID are Kismet running under Linux on a laptop and Wellenreiter II running under Linux on my Zaurus, but that’s expected sinc they use RFMON. Can the drivers for the built in WiFi on an x3 do RFMON?
irongeek
Mini Stumbler

Postby Barry » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:02 pm

He doesn't happen to have ever connected to that ssid before has he? I know if you have the settings in ppc it will show up.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby irongeek » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:38 pm

Nope, he had never connected to it before. I've been doing some more thinking and tt may not be cloaked, it could be coming out of the same wap as another ssid. I know some linksys drivers have problems when two or more ssids are coming from the same WAP.
irongeek
Mini Stumbler

Postby The Others » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:19 pm

What does "cloaked" mean? Is it a blank SSID a SSID set not to respond to broadcast probes? Who is the manufacturer of this "cloaked" SSID? Does NS see it?
all good ends all

?u=273
The Others

Postby WhiteGoods » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:00 am

"cloaked" means that the access point or device will not broadcast it's SSID. You have to know the SSID to connect to the AP, but I dont recommend it, as I've seen people get lured into a false sense of security with it.
WhiteGoods
Mini Stumbler

Ti

Postby Airstreamer » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:28 pm

WhiteGoods wrote:"cloaked" means that the access point or device will not broadcast it's SSID. You have to know the SSID to connect to the AP, but I dont recommend it, as I've seen people get lured into a false sense of security with it.

My el cheepo TI 802.11G card utility in site survey mode will pick up that there is a "Hidden Network" when run, and gives you the MAC addy of the AP.

If you click on the network it pops up a box stating you must know the name to connect. I've tested it numerous times on my own AP, which is setup to NOT broadcast the SSID. When I put in my SSID and hit connect, poof! Connection established. (With the proper WEP key, of course..!)

sTEVE
"But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know.""

- Rudyard Kipling
Airstreamer

Postby Barry » Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:12 pm

Uh, I'm pretty sure The Others was trying to jog Irongeek's brain, not actually ask a question. He's a pretty smart guy, for a Brit! :eek:
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby Airstreamer » Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:24 pm

Barry wrote:Uh, I'm pretty sure The Others was trying to jog Irongeek's brain, not actually ask a question. He's a pretty smart guy, for a Brit! :eek:

Jolly good show, then! :p

sTEVE
"But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know.""

- Rudyard Kipling
Airstreamer

Return to Pocket PC