Finally! - iPaq 19xx GPS system

Finally! - iPaq 19xx GPS system

Postby Re@liTy » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:55 am

I've got a "cheaper" iPaq 1930 mainly for work etc, but found I couldn't use it with any GPS sys as it hasn't got any form of serial input like practically every other iPaq :(
Anyway, thought I'd let everyone know there is now a GPS sys available, based on the great Haicom mouse type, using the IR port on the 19xx series.
I only paid £79.99 GBP for it which is the gps mouse & an "arm" that fixes to w/screen to hold iPaq, which then plugs into cig lighter socket for power/charging etc.
AFAIK this is barely more than the Haicom mouse is usually (at least here in UK)
If anyone wants the link/address I'll dig it out.
I'm off out now to test this thing out.
Re@liTy
Mini Stumbler

Help

Postby neilb » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:02 am

Do you run Tom Tom or similar on 1930 PDA using GPS craddle? If so how did you set up connection using IR port to get Tom Tom working?
neilb
Mini Stumbler

Postby Re@liTy » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:42 pm

Wow, this was an old post. I'm surprised anybody read/found it ;)

I saw your PM before the post, so have replied already via PM.

Regardless of that, though, here's some info:

I use Navigator 4 (Europe Edition). I think it's good, because firstly, it's quite cheap & secondly, it's got a great "speech" feature, so it just talks to you & directs you, turn by turn. No need to keep trying to see the screen.

As for the IR connection, it's an integral part of the "arm" holder.
The "holder" is like the ones you see for mobile phones. It has a built-in speaker, built-in power supply to both the GPS & PPC, via the cigarette lighter socket, and the built-in IR connection. This IR connection is made via a small "wire" arm that plugs straight into the PPC "holder" and then has a small red "blob" on the end, which is the IR transmitter. This lines up with the IR port on the iPaq. So, there's no actual "configuring" to do for the IR.
I'm really pleased with it & can't believe how accurate it is! It calls out junctions & turns within just a few feet!

I also use it with a Sandisk SD/IO Wifi card. This has amazing power for a "stamp - sized" card. This also adds the ability to use the stumbling softwares with the GPS, for mapping out later a "real" PC.

Hope this is of some help !?

My more recent toy has been a CL series "clam-shell" Zaurus. I prefer to have Linux. I haven't got any GPS for it yet though.

Anyone have any suggestions about that??
I started out with nothing..............and I've still got most of it left.....
Re@liTy
Mini Stumbler

Linux

Postby beakmyn » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:58 am

beakmyn

Postby Barry » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:35 am

beakmyn wrote:try this link to a howto for installing Linux on an Ipaq 19xx series PDA It depends on what the XX is

Unfortunately it's really buggy and has the potential to permanently kill your iPaq.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby Barry » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:37 am

Re@liTy wrote:
My more recent toy has been a CL series "clam-shell" Zaurus. I prefer to have Linux. I haven't got any GPS for it yet though.

Anyone have any suggestions about that??

Better place to ask for this kind of help is over at zaurususergroup.com.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Return to Pocket PC