Promiscous mode with smartphone

Promiscous mode with smartphone

Postby rob@ernell.se » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:23 am

HI.
I'm playing around with an ETEN M600 smartphone with the inbuilt Samsung swl-2455 wifi-card.
When using vxSniffer, I cant set it to promiscous mode, because the network card doesnt support it. Only "All local packets" & "Directed packets" can be used. When sniffing a network with Linux, I set the ethernet device to promisc (ifconfig eth0 promisc). I wont buy the vxSniffer product, unless it works as it should for my device.

Is that normal with PDA's and smartphones, or have I missed something???

/rob
rob@ernell.se
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:58 am
Location: Sweden

Postby wrzwaldo » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:54 am

rob@ernell.se wrote:HI.
I'm playing around with an ETEN M600 smartphone with the inbuilt Samsung swl-2455 wifi-card.
When using vxSniffer, I cant set it to promiscous mode, because the network card doesnt support it. Only "All local packets" & "Directed packets" can be used. When sniffing a network with Linux, I set the ethernet device to promisc (ifconfig eth0 promisc). I wont buy the vxSniffer product, unless it works as it should for my device.

Is that normal with PDA's and smartphones, or have I missed something???

/rob


What are the hardware requirements for this vxSniffer? What did the tech support folks at http://www.cam.com/contact.html say?
wrzwaldo
 
Posts: 8995
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:43 pm

Postby SignalSeeker » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:55 am

I think I missed something. What was your question about Netstumbler or Ministumbler?

Justin
User avatar
SignalSeeker
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Postby wrzwaldo » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:58 am

SignalSeeker wrote:I think I missed something. What was your question about Netstumbler or Ministumbler?

Justin



Does it matter?

Software
Discussion forum for non-Netstumbler wireless auditing or wireless related software
wrzwaldo
 
Posts: 8995
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:43 pm

Postby rob@ernell.se » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:20 am

Well, the question was:
Is that (promiscousmode not supported) normal with PDA's and smartphones, or have I missed something???

I guess promiscous-mode has to be supported to be able to do packetsniffing. That's a fact for Linux.

Signalseeker: It's not about stumbler, I know.
wrzwaldo: I havent emailed the techsupport yet.
rob@ernell.se
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:58 am
Location: Sweden

Postby streaker69 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:24 am

rob@ernell.se wrote:Well, the question was:
Is that (promiscousmode not supported) normal with PDA's and smartphones, or have I missed something???

I guess promiscous-mode has to be supported to be able to do packetsniffing. That's a fact for Linux.


Actually, I believe that for wireless, it's called Monitor mode. Promiscous mode is for Wired connections.

Chances are, it's not supported in those devices, since it's something that's outside the scope of what the devices was intended to do.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
User avatar
streaker69
 
Posts: 11867
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:09 am
Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby wrzwaldo » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:25 am

rob@ernell.se wrote:Well, the question was:
Is that (promiscousmode not supported) normal with PDA's and smartphones, or have I missed something???

I guess promiscous-mode has to be supported to be able to do packetsniffing. That's a fact for Linux.

Signalseeker: It's not about stumbler, I know.
wrzwaldo: I havent emailed the techsupport yet.


It's normal if the hardware does not support the software. Like I asked in my last post, what are the hardware requirements for vxsniffer? Does vxsniffer do RF-Mon?
wrzwaldo
 
Posts: 8995
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:43 pm

Postby wham » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:28 am

I would go ahead and ask the tech support people. I have never used vxsniffer and I would want to make sure it is compatible with your hardware and supports RF-MON before paying 460 Swedish Krona.
wham
Mini Stumbler
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:21 pm
Location: /dev/urandom

Postby streaker69 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:31 am

wham wrote:I would go ahead and ask the tech support people. I have never used vxsniffer and I would want to make sure it is compatible with your hardware and supports RF-MON before paying 460 Swedish Krona.


I could get a lot of scrapple for that much.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
User avatar
streaker69
 
Posts: 11867
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:09 am
Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby rob@ernell.se » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:44 am

Found this: http://www.ndis.com/faq/QA01190301.htm
It's a matter of "802.11 miniports".

/rob

* waiting for an answer from techsupport at cam *
rob@ernell.se
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:58 am
Location: Sweden

Postby rob@ernell.se » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:06 am

techsupport answer:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
It appears that the builtin "Samsung swl-2455" does not promiscous mode. It is a hardware issue and not a vxSniffer problem.

See http://www.ndis.com/faq/QA01190301.htm for infomration on promiscous mode and Wi-Fi
------------------------------------------------------------------------
End of thread!
/rob
rob@ernell.se
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:58 am
Location: Sweden


Return to Pocket PC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests