Sniffer for SIMpad (HPC)

Sniffer for SIMpad (HPC)

Postby Krasnall » Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:21 am

Hello!

Has anyone know a working packet sniffer for a Handheld PC (Windows CE) device (SIMpad, Jornada,...)? I'm using an Orinoco Gold WLAN PC card. I'm after two days searching the web and the only sniffers I found are for PocketPC...

TIA
Krasnall
Mini Stumbler

Postby Barry » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:00 am

I rember seeing somewhere someone got netstumbler to work with a jornada.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby Krasnall » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:38 am

Yeah, there's Ministumbler actually working on my SIMpad. But (maybe I'm not right - tell me please) Ministumbler isn't enough, it catches only AP signals, no wireless clients...
Krasnall
Mini Stumbler

Postby wrzwaldo » Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:38 pm

Krasnall wrote:Yeah, there's Ministumbler actually working on my SIMpad. But (maybe I'm not right - tell me please) Ministumbler isn't enough, it catches only AP signals, no wireless clients...

Not to mention that neither NS or MS are sniffers...
wrzwaldo

Postby Barry » Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:31 pm

Isn't there some guys at handhelds.org working on a linux port for the simpad?? That will probably be your only hope for a sniffer program (kismet).
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

OT: SimPad vs GPS

Postby PPC1 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:49 am

Off topic perhaps

I´ve got a Siemens SimPad SL4 running Windows CE.NET, could it be used with a GPS? Maybe for navigating in a car? It has a nice 800x600 screen and all. And a serial connector.
PPC1
Mini Stumbler

Postby ldti » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:57 am

PPC1 wrote:Off topic perhaps

I´ve got a Siemens SimPad SL4 running Windows CE.NET, could it be used with a GPS? Maybe for navigating in a car? It has a nice 800x600 screen and all. And a serial connector.

As long as you can get the right software...
ldti

Postby PPC1 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:23 am

ldti wrote:As long as you can get the right software...

Thanks for a great answer to a question that I really didnt ask, did I...? ;)

Obviously I will need some sort of software, that goes without saying, but does it exist? I understand MiniStumbler isn´t ported for HPC, wich is the OS that was installed on the device from the beginning. But I thought maybe now that I´ve upgraded it to CE.NET there could be some sort of application that uses GPS over the serialport. Either for navigation or stumbling, or perhaps some other use?

But OK, it´s a bit off topic in this thread so I guess I´ll keep on searching on my own. :confused:
PPC1
Mini Stumbler

Postby ldti » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:31 am

Your question:

PPC1 wrote:Off topic perhaps

my answer:

[Quote=ldti]
As long as you can get the right software...
[/quote]

Yes , you can connect a gps to the serial port , you just need the right software.

So , what's exactly the problem with my answer?
ldti

Postby wrzwaldo » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:31 am

idti wrote:So , what's exactly the problem with my answer?

Nothing wrong with your answer. Except it was possibly a larger group of words than he/she was able to process. Probably would have been better off with a simple "YES".

PPC1 wrote:But OK, it´s a bit off topic in this thread so I guess I´ll keep on searching on my own.

Probably off topic for the entire forum!
wrzwaldo

Postby ldti » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:52 am

Heh... :rolleyes:
ldti

Postby PPC1 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:08 am

wrzwaldo wrote:Nothing wrong with your answer. Except it was possibly a larger group of words than he/she was able to process. Probably would have been better off with a simple "YES".
Probably off topic for the entire forum!

I did actually thank "idti" for his/her answer, regardless if it applied to my question or not. But never mind. And as for the amount of words in the answer one should consider the fact that I´m Swedish and english isn´t my native language. I think I´m doing OK.

It´s a bit sad that so many here put so much effort in ridiculing others instead of trying to help or guide them. Is a simple YES or NO really an ample answer?
Offcourse it´s a one-syllable word that is relatively easy for even such illiterates as some of the above to comprehend...

And how on earth could a question about SimPad and software be Off Topic in this forum? "NetStumbler.org WiFi Forums > Software > Pocket PC" Please explain. :rolleyes:
PPC1
Mini Stumbler

Postby wrzwaldo » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:02 am

PPC1 wrote:I did actually thank "idti" for his/her answer, regardless if it applied to my question or not. But never mind. And as for the amount of words in the answer one should consider the fact that I´m Swedish and english isn´t my native language. I think I´m doing OK.

It´s a bit sad that so many here put so much effort in ridiculing others instead of trying to help or guide them. Is a simple YES or NO really an ample answer?
Offcourse it´s a one-syllable word that is relatively easy for even such illiterates as some of the above to comprehend...

And how on earth could a question about SimPad and software be Off Topic in this forum? "NetStumbler.org WiFi Forums > Software > Pocket PC" Please explain. :rolleyes:

Does this look familiar?

I´ve got a Siemens SimPad SL4 running Windows CE.NET, could it be used with a GPS?

Now how is that software? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
wrzwaldo

Postby PPC1 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:28 am

wrzwaldo wrote:Does this look familiar?
Now how is that software? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No, but honestly, like I wrote earlier:
PPC1 wrote:Obviously I will need some sort of software, that goes without saying, but does it exist?

The question was rather if the SimPad´s connectionport is a real RS232 or maybe some proprietary solution from Siemens, do I really have to spell everything out for you guys?

I´ll leave it at that. See ya´ fellows! :p

BTW, someone has spelled his signature wrong and there may also be a letter missing there somewhere. Maybe an O?
PPC1
Mini Stumbler

Postby c0rnholio » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:41 am

PPC1 wrote:The question was rather if the SimPad´s connectionport is a real RS232 or maybe some proprietary solution from Siemens...

Hi there,

yes it is a standard rs232 port. You can view the cable layout here: http://opensimpad.org/internals.0.html#218

And yes, you can use a GPS with the SimPAD. Some guys also have sucessfully used a navigation software on it.

There is a german forum for the simpad at: http://palmtopmagazin.de/board/tablett/

You can also have a look on my homepage about the simpad at: simpad.silentservices.de . It's in german, so you can try to use a translator or ask me if you have a specific question...

Also have a look at opensimpad.org . They've made a good linux port for the simpad.

cheers
You mean...there is life outside my lab?
c0rnholio

Next

Return to Pocket PC