basic AP/GPS breadcrumb logger

Take a script, leave a script - Like the penny tray only different

basic AP/GPS breadcrumb logger

Postby rpiguy » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:43 pm

I am looking for some basic real-time logging fuctionality out of a script that includes all the customary AP data plus the GPS data even when no AP is present; i.e. the "breadcrumb" effect. I am not interested in real-time mapping or even sounds; I have no desire to pay any attention at all to the data acquisiton apparatus while I am driving.

I have looked at TrackNS by rogerrabbit and NS04mappoint my marius. I tried to use the non-mappoint modified version of ns04mappoint oferred by tpeer, but am still getting script errors around the sound components and other issues. I didn't immediately see the option in TrackNS to omit the whole real-time MapPoint scenario.

I have only basic programming skills and limited to perl at that. All I want is a real-time log file with all the AP and GPS data, even when no APs are present, so that I can primarily track my whereabouts and also have a record of any APs that might be around.

I intend to periodically grab the log file (via wireless of course) off of the junker laptop that will live in my trunk running all this stuff, for post processing with MapInfo and whatnot.

Can one of you sharp script authors comment out the extraneous features out of these fantabulous scripts and just give me real-time AP/GPS log file functionality? If I am missing this functionality built-in to NS itself, please advise. But I don't see any way of getting the GPS data unless an AP is present.

TIA! :)
Brett
rpiguy
Mini Stumbler

Return to Scripts