My modded script.. based on an older v.4

Take a script, leave a script - Like the penny tray only different

My modded script.. based on an older v.4

Postby ragmanii » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:32 am

I really love this stuff, but one thing I really missed was the ability to select a start and destination point and have the script call out directions. I have pretty much stopped development on this, so I am not going to update this to the newer version of code. If someone out there want to spend the time integrating my changes, go for it, I will download it. Here is how it works:
When you start stumbler and the map pulls up hit ctrl-R to bring up the start and destination finder. Put in the start point (an address like 123 startingline way, 75598) and hit the button. Then type in the ending point and hit the button. Once you have two points in this section, the script will take over and map that route. It will start calling out directions. If I remember right I have it set to call out when you are reaching a waypoint such as a turn or an exit when you are a mile away. Then it will calculate, based on your speed, when you have 10 seconds till the actual turn and call out once again where to turn/exit. If you make a wrong turn or a forced turn such as a road being closed, the script will detect that you are off track and automagicaly recalculate your route based on your current location. I can remeber what I have the script set to for off route detection, I think it is ten seconds of not reducing the distance to your next waypoint. The only bug that is still there that I know of is the bug that calculates if it should say feet or miles. I seem to remeber that it says both sometimes. Anyway... here is the script. Enjoy!

P.S. I have tried to mark all my changes with RagmanII so the changes should be somewhat obvious. Also I was not really going to redistro this so some changes may not be marked, but since I have enjoyed the heck out of it, I thought others might enjoy.
-RagmanII
Attachments
20041124 - master script -RagManII Moded.zip
(25.99 KiB) Downloaded 1021 times
ragmanii
Mini Stumbler

Postby goldfndr » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:44 am

ragmanii wrote:I really love this stuff, but one thing I really missed was the ability to select a start and destination point and have the script call out directions. I have pretty much stopped development on this, so I am not going to update this to the newer version of code. If someone out there want to spend the time integrating my changes, go for it, I will download it. Here is how it works:
When you start stumbler and the map pulls up hit ctrl-R to bring up the start and destination finder. Put in the start point (an address like 123 startingline way, 75598) and hit the button. Then type in the ending point and hit the button. Once you have two points in this section, the script will take over and map that route. It will start calling out directions. If I remember right I have it set to call out when you are reaching a waypoint such as a turn or an exit when you are a mile away. Then it will calculate, based on your speed, when you have 10 seconds till the actual turn and call out once again where to turn/exit. If you make a wrong turn or a forced turn such as a road being closed, the script will detect that you are off track and automagicaly recalculate your route based on your current location. I can remeber what I have the script set to for off route detection, I think it is ten seconds of not reducing the distance to your next waypoint. The only bug that is still there that I know of is the bug that calculates if it should say feet or miles. I seem to remeber that it says both sometimes. Anyway... here is the script. Enjoy!

P.S. I have tried to mark all my changes with RagmanII so the changes should be somewhat obvious. Also I was not really going to redistro this so some changes may not be marked, but since I have enjoyed the heck out of it, I thought others might enjoy.
-RagmanII

Very interesting - definitely should use a "With MappointApp.ActiveMap.ActiveRoute" to simplify the code that follows. More significantly, it should probably be within a If UseSpeech block. Questions I have: was this routing capability introduced in Mappoint 2002, or earlier? If 2002, should it check the current version of Mappoint (in case it's 2001 or older), or is there enough code currently in ns04mappoint.vbs that 2001 is already inadequate?

Looks well documented. I haven't actually diff'd yet, but it seems the added code is solely in the OnGPSPositionMappoint subroutine, with some additional settings in ns04settings.vbs. Well, ok, a couple of IE functions (IEText and CreateIE) that could arguably be useful for debugging purposes.

It surprised me that Mappoint didn't have built-in voice guidance, but I see that they added it in 2006 so this could be useful for anyone with an earlier version. I think I can merge it.

On second thought, it looks like someone has already implemented a popular solution. Were you not aware of it? If you were aware of it, was it insufficient (e.g. unable to use ns04mappoint.vbs and AGPS simultaneously)? Anyone else that could check?
goldfndr

Not on much... but here is your answers...

Postby ragmanii » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:42 am

As you can tell I am not on much... but I am glad someone looked at it. The issue I had with AGPS was speed. I am running this script on an old p3-600mhz laptop. I found that APS would start to lag behind and after about 10 minutes of driving it was several minutes behind my current position. (I may be remembering wrong but I think that is right...)

Not to mention the fun of doing it myself! :)

I am not sure if this will run on 2001. I only have access to 2002 and 2006(they both work).
ragmanii
Mini Stumbler

Postby goldfndr » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:10 pm

If AGPS isn't able to keep up or correct for getting behind... then, yeah, it maybe ought to be included. I'll try to take another look.
goldfndr

Return to Scripts