Netstumbler disables MP GPS?

Take a script, leave a script - Like the penny tray only different

Netstumbler disables MP GPS?

Postby ScottishCaptain » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:17 pm

Greetings to all.

I'm running an Emtac BTGPS w/Multilink (TRINE) GPS unit. It provides 4 seperate BT COM ports on the GPS side of things that anything can connect to and read the values from (almost like comfoolery).

If I launch Mappoint 2006 first, set the GPS to COM4, then I can have Mappoint handle my GPS and provide location tracking & screen updating.

If I launch Netstumbler next, using the "Master Script" for 0.4, I've got it setup to only plot AP's and maybe change their location if need be. There is no vehicle tracking or bread-crumbing (this is handled by Mappoint). Netstumbler uses COM3 for the GPS. This works just fine.

Now, if I let Netstumbler launch MP through the script, it effectivly disables MP's GPS features. I can't click on the "Configure GPS" button, nothing happens, so I can't enable the GPS.

I've looked through the scripts and I can't find where it's disabling the MP GPS features. I'm trying to keep the script activity to a bare minimum and thus I want MP to handle the realtime location tracking, and net Netstumbler just add and modify pushpins as required.

How do I ether modify the Master Script or otherwise enable the GPS features in Mappoint when it's launched through Netstumbler?

Cheers!
SC
ScottishCaptain
Mini Stumbler

Postby Dutch » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:04 pm

ScottishCaptain wrote:Greetings to all.

I'm running an Emtac BTGPS w/Multilink (TRINE) GPS unit. It provides 4 seperate BT COM ports on the GPS side of things that anything can connect to and read the values from (almost like comfoolery).

If I launch Mappoint 2006 first, set the GPS to COM4, then I can have Mappoint handle my GPS and provide location tracking & screen updating.

If I launch Netstumbler next, using the "Master Script" for 0.4, I've got it setup to only plot AP's and maybe change their location if need be. There is no vehicle tracking or bread-crumbing (this is handled by Mappoint). Netstumbler uses COM3 for the GPS. This works just fine.

Now, if I let Netstumbler launch MP through the script, it effectivly disables MP's GPS features. I can't click on the "Configure GPS" button, nothing happens, so I can't enable the GPS.

I've looked through the scripts and I can't find where it's disabling the MP GPS features. I'm trying to keep the script activity to a bare minimum and thus I want MP to handle the realtime location tracking, and net Netstumbler just add and modify pushpins as required.

How do I ether modify the Master Script or otherwise enable the GPS features in Mappoint when it's launched through Netstumbler?

Cheers!
SC

When using the MasterScript, and launching MP through it, tracking is done by NS. NS then pushes found networks and the track data to Mappoint. So no need for Mappoint to track the GPS itself.

You got three choices :
1) Use the MasterScript as designed.
2) Adapt the MasterScript yourself.
3) Hope that goldfndr will read your post, and find it worthwhile to adapt it so there's an option for the small amount of users who might have a multilink capable GPS, to let NS and Mappoint use different GPS sources for tracking.
A bribe in the form of beer money, wild naked women, or similar necessities of life, made to goldfndr in advance, will enhance your chances of him finding it worthwhile to add such a feature to the MasterScript.

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby ScottishCaptain » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:55 pm

I'm pretty sure it isn't Master Script doing the disabling. Adapting it myself (basically, hacking everything out except the Mappoint code and revamping that so it doesn't rely on any other script, ie, it runs from Netstumbler directly) yielded a similar result... Unless I was missing something terribly obvious, but the script I had after was pretty bare and minimal.

The only other thing I can think of is that it's disabled by default, and one needs to enable it.

The main reason for this is to keep CPU usage down as low as possible (and thus the CPU frequency on my system). I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's easier on the system if Mappoint tracks via itself using GPS rather then getting the values from NS (providing the GPS supports Multilink, which was really easy to setup).

I'm sure I'll write my own script for this, but in the mean time, I'd love to know what is disabling GPS in MP first. Anyone else by chance know?

-SC
ScottishCaptain
Mini Stumbler

Postby goldfndr » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:33 pm

ScottishCaptain wrote:The main reason for this is to keep CPU usage down as low as possible (and thus the CPU frequency on my system). I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's easier on the system if Mappoint tracks via itself using GPS rather then getting the values from NS (providing the GPS supports Multilink, which was really easy to setup).
This really seems unlikely, since it's a choice of:
  • MapPoint checking/emptying the serial port every so often, making sure the buffer doesn't overflow, and keeping the vehicle centered (or at least on-screen).
  • NetStumbler telling MapPoint to re-center based on the CentreVehicle setting, which could be a value other than 1.
The minimal script would be something like:
Dim MapPointApp : Set MapPointApp = CreateObject("MapPoint.Application")
MapPointApp.Visible = True
MapPointApp.UserControl = False
MsgBox "Is MapPoint following GPS with UserControl False?"
MapPointApp.UserControl = True
MsgBox "Is MapPoint following GPS with UserControl True?"
I don't know the effect of UserControl, but that's my hunch.
For quickest response, catch me on IRC: #wigle
goldfndr

Return to Scripts