New Tool: StumblerX, Live data scripting hook.

Take a script, leave a script - Like the penny tray only different

New Tool: StumblerX, OnScanResult() can work for you!

Postby nikolatesla20 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:07 am

My new tool, StumblerX - Windows 2000/XP only!
--------------------------------------------------------
What is StumblerX?

IT'S AN OnScanResult() IMPLEMENTATION ENGINE !!

It's a program that hooks into the live data from Network Stumbler, and runs an external VBScript you choose, passing the new data to the script. It runs real-time. In other words, it is an external implementation of OnScanResult(). It runs a script whenever Network Stumbler finds a new access point.

Features:

Grabs data from the currently active Network Stumbler collection window.

Buffers data collection/script execution. Even if your script takes a while to run, StumblerX will buffer the new data that comes in. It feeds your script as fast as your script will take the new data.

Data accuracy. StumblerX keeps track of new MAC's and makes sure not to enter any access point twice.

Only supports VBScript at this time.
--------------------------------------------------------

This is my first release of StumblerX. I tested it on my laptop with Windows XP and the latest Network Stumbler and it works well. Report any bugs in this thread.

A small technical note: Don't use Network Stumbler to run a script at the same time as StumberX is running. StumblerX depends on the sound that Network Stumbler plays when it finds a new access point , as its trigger to gather the new data. If you have a script running in Network Stumbler that plays sounds, all heck may break loose. (Usually mainly because I don't know if Network Stumbler will still play the new AP sound).

Download here:

http://webpages.charter.net/nikolatesla20/setup.zip

NOTE: There IS a help file that gets installed with StumblerX that you can check out for more information. There's a shortcut to the help file in the Program menu along with the StumblerX shortcut.

-niko
nikolatesla20
Mini Stumbler

Postby ThreePts » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:39 am

ive downloaded and will give it a try next time.. but my question is, what are some of the big benefits of this program. What do you inivsion its uses are. From my understanding, with the sample script it just archives the APs like a summary file would. Great work, keep it up. :D
ThreePts

Postby nikolatesla20 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:54 am

If you know how to interface with MapPoint 2004 thru its COM automation interface (programmers will know what I am talking about), you could map AP's in real-time, a feature long requested by people on the boards here. The biggest benefit of this is it's real-time data collection. As soon as you get a new AP, your script gets executed.

You could write lots of scripts to take advantage of that. Call batch files, whatever, all upon the instant you detect a new AP.

I would have had a script to demo mapping too but I don't have MapPoint. In fact I have no mapping software yet.

-niko
nikolatesla20
Mini Stumbler

Postby brendandonhue » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:20 pm

I don't understand what its for. First of all, there are already scripts that do live mapping from NetStumbler to MapPoint.
And can't netstumbler's scripting already run an external script when a new AP is found?
brendandonhue
Mini Stumbler

Postby nikolatesla20 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:55 pm

Originally posted by brendandonhue

And can't netstumbler's scripting already run an external script when a new AP is found? [/B]

Nope. I refer you to thread:

http://www.netstumbler.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9653

I have re-worded my announcement to correctly say that my program does the job of OnScanResult().

-niko
nikolatesla20
Mini Stumbler

StumblerX and Signal to Noise

Postby sh00wan » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:36 am

nikolatesla20,

First thanks for your help with my script question the other day that worked great.

I'm using your StumblerX app and I'm finding that it logs everything like you said it would but the one thing I wish it could do is, to continually update the S/N ratio so that when you find an AP it would show the current S/N.. I'm not sure if this is a scripting limitation of netstumbler since I'm new to scripting but not VB.... If you plan on an update could you look at that?? Again thanks in advance

Sh00
sh00wan
Mini Stumbler

Postby digitalchaos » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:51 pm

not bad. it takes GPS coordinates in quite well too.
one bug: when 2 APs are detected at the same time only one will be logged.

replicate this by starting netstumbler and closing the current scan.. open stumblerX and run it.. then start a new netstumbler session around several APs that will immedicately detec
digitalchaos
Mini Stumbler

Postby Zharvek » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:01 am

The URL is broken... Is there another site I could get it at, im sure your script would fix alot of the problems I am having. Thanks.
Zharvek
Mini Stumbler

Postby Zharvek » Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:04 pm

Does anyone have a copy of this file, or could post a working URL?

Thanks.
Zharvek
Mini Stumbler

Postby goldfndr » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:01 pm

While I have no idea where StumblerX can be retrieved, I can tell you:
  • http://webpages.charter.net/nikolatesla20/ does still exist (although setup.zip is missing)
  • As of 0.4.0, OnScanResult is implemented (I have no idea how well but it does get called a lot). Some other scripts around this forum are using it. You could have it call an external routine, e.g. (untested)
    Code: Select all
    Sub OnScanResult(SSID, BSSID, CapFlags, Signal, Noise, LastSeen)
        CreateObject("WScript.Shell").Run "mycmd.exe " & SSID & " " & BSSID & " " & CapFlags & " " & Signal & " " & Noise & " " & LastSeen
    End Sub
goldfndr

Postby Zharvek » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:44 am

Yeah, at the moment, my script just uses a fso.OpenTextFile() and writes the lines to the file (Probably not the most efficient way). The problem is that it writes the same AP more then once because Netstumbler feeds data to the script everytime there is a response to its beacon. (Why I wanted this, StumblerX because it claims to never feed the same MAC address).

I've moved on to finding some code (VBScript or VB6) that will open a text file, remove duplicate lines, and then save the file. I have found a sample script around the internet that will do the same, but it also sorts the list, which makes the resulting text file useless for my application (The last seen AP has to be at the bottom of the text file).

I have tried editing the code to remove the sorting option, but no luck thus far. Would posting the sample code help somebody figure out how to make it stop sorting? Thanks.
Zharvek
Mini Stumbler

Postby Zharvek » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:16 am

I have found a way to do what I needed.

I have looked through many examples of code to make it...

This will take the file, c:\ap.in and take the duplicates out and write the new file to c:\ap.out .

Code: Select all

sFile ="C:\ap.in"
set oFs = createobject ("Scripting.filesystemobject")
arrLines = Split(oFs.OpenTextfile(sFile).ReadAll,vbcrlf)
for i=0 to Ubound(arrLines)-1
if len(arrLines(i)) then
for j=i+1 to Ubound(arrLines)
if arrLines(j)=arrLines(i) then arrLines(j) = ""
Next
strNew = strNew & arrLines(i) & vbCrLf
End If
next
oFs.OpenTextfile("c:\ap.out",2,-1,-2).Write strNew

Zharvek
Mini Stumbler

Return to Scripts