Script for Getting Signal levels

Take a script, leave a script - Like the penny tray only different

Script for Getting Signal levels

Postby adonis » Mon May 02, 2005 2:45 pm

Can somebody direct me to any light perl/C code that gets the signal and the noise levels from the NIC?

Thanks,
adonis

Postby dwakeman » Tue May 03, 2005 11:58 am

adonis wrote:Can somebody direct me to any light perl/C code that gets the signal and the noise levels from the NIC?

Thanks,

You mean the levels through NetStumbler for an AP?

[CODE]
use strict]

That would work.
dwakeman

Postby Thorn » Tue May 03, 2005 12:30 pm

dwakeman wrote:You mean the levels through NetStumbler for an AP?

[CODE]
use strict]

That would work.

It would seem from his other posts he wants the API-level info to talk to the cards directly. He's repeatedly requested this type of info. A lot of us are ignoring him now having answered variations on the same question over and over.

(And yes, the obvious answer is to get the SDKs.)
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby adonis » Tue May 03, 2005 4:01 pm

Hello, They were all different questions with the only common thing between all being --reference to signal and noise strengths.

Thanks
adonis

Postby wrzwaldo » Tue May 03, 2005 4:11 pm

adonis wrote:Hello, They were all different questions with the only common thing between all being --reference to signal and noise strengths.

Thanks

Possibly in your world. But the questions I seen were all about the same thing. You have begun to wear out your welcome here.

LOL

They were all different questions with the only common thing between all being...

Yeah they were different!!! :rolleyes:
wrzwaldo

Postby streaker69 » Tue May 03, 2005 4:22 pm

I'm just curious, what kind of project are you working on that you need that information? Your repeated asking has me intrigued.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby adonis » Tue May 03, 2005 4:46 pm

Thanks, As Thorn said correctly I was not looking for the perl script as put above. However since you ask my project involves working on getting error patterns in wireless networks and fitting theoretical models to it. For that I need accurate and rapid signal strength and noise level measurements.
Never guessed it would be so confusing till I realised different cards report vastly different values. So far I have found the cisco aironets outputs to most closely match commercial vector analysers.
adonis

Postby Scruge » Tue May 03, 2005 4:50 pm

streaker69 wrote:I'm just curious, what kind of project are you working on that you need that information? Your repeated asking has me intrigued.

I maybe speaking out of turn here... But I think he's hell bent on finding out why his 2 wifi cards aren't reporting the same SNR.

Tenacity at its best/worst. :rolleyes:
Scruge

Postby dwakeman » Tue May 03, 2005 5:48 pm

Thorn wrote:It would seem from his other posts he wants the API-level info to talk to the cards directly. He's repeatedly requested this type of info. A lot of us are ignoring him now having answered variations on the same question over and over.

(And yes, the obvious answer is to get the SDKs.)

Ah ic. I wrongly assumed we'd be talking about NetStumbler I guess. :D
dwakeman

Postby wrzwaldo » Tue May 03, 2005 6:31 pm

adonis wrote:Thanks, As Thorn said correctly I was not looking for the perl script as put above. However since you ask my project involves working on getting error patterns in wireless networks and fitting theoretical models to it. For that I need accurate and rapid signal strength and noise level measurements.
Never guessed it would be so confusing till I realised different cards report vastly different values. So far I have found the cisco aironets outputs to most closely match commercial vector analysers.

So why not just buy an analyzer? Or try and rent/lease one when needed? Your "theoretical models" will be for shit unless you use something that can provide accurate/repeatable results.
wrzwaldo

Postby adonis » Tue May 03, 2005 6:44 pm

Thanks, We already had airmagnet and airopeek in our lab. They are no different than NS in terms of readings. In fact I searched and found NS once these commercial s/w showed discrepancies. Recently placed an order for the BVS yellowjacket.

What kind of analyser are you talking about? Software analyser? There are other hardware analysers though from Agilent but they really give the baseband snr and not individual values for an AP.
adonis

Postby wrzwaldo » Tue May 03, 2005 9:33 pm

adonis wrote:Thanks, We already had airmagnet and airopeek in our lab. They are no different than NS in terms of readings. In fact I searched and found NS once these commercial s/w showed discrepancies. Recently placed an order for the BVS yellowjacket.

What kind of analyser are you talking about? Software analyser? There are other hardware analysers though from Agilent but they really give the baseband snr and not individual values for an AP.

What ever kind will get the job done for you without having to fiddle fuck around. Which one is dependant upon your desired features and size of your checkbook!
wrzwaldo

Return to Scripts