USAPhotoMaps

Take a script, leave a script - Like the penny tray only different

USAPhotoMaps

Postby nashr » Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:01 am

This is a request for anyone out there with some scripting know-how and some "spare time". I have an excellent mapping tool called USA PhotoMaps that will use .GPX formatted data. Is anyone willing/interested in developing a script that will convert NS to this GPX XML format?
Help! I've been Simpsonized!
nashr

Re: USAPhotoMaps

Postby captaindrewle » Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:23 am

Originally posted by nashr
This is a request for anyone out there with some scripting know-how and some "spare time". I have an excellent mapping tool called USA PhotoMaps that will use .GPX formatted data. Is anyone willing/interested in developing a script that will convert NS to this GPX XML format?

Can you send/post a sample GPX file?
captaindrewle

GPX (the GPS eXchange Format)

Postby nashr » Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:32 am

GPX (the GPS eXchange Format) is a light-weight XML data format for the interchange of GPS data (waypoints, routes, and tracks) between applications and web services on the Internet.

http://www.topografix.com/gpx.asp provides background, access to the schema, and a developers manual.
nashr

Re: GPX (the GPS eXchange Format)

Postby captaindrewle » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:00 am

GPX (the GPS eXchange Format) is a light-weight XML data format for the interchange of GPS data (waypoints, routes, and tracks) between applications and web services on the Internet.

http://www.topografix.com/gpx.asp provides background, access to the schema, and a developers manual.

Looks pretty straight forward. The only problem I see is that Netstumbler doesn't log "track data" in .NS1 files. So you wouldn't be able to trace the path you drove, you'd only be able to plot where an access point is.
captaindrewle

Postby nashr » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:03 am

That's all most folks are doing anyway. I just thought this would be a nice mapping package to integrate with NS. It supports both satellite imagery and topography. Very nice!
nashr

Postby The Others » Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:22 am

That's all most folks are doing anyway. I just thought this would be a nice mapping package to integrate with NS. It supports both satellite imagery and topography. Very nice!

Topographic visulization would be fantastic, I stumble in hilly places and maps that represented this would be great. I''ve been doing some stuff about GIS layers and this is very interesting.

Shame it's USAPhotoMaps though :(
The Others

Postby Thorn » Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:51 am

Originally posted by The Others

Shame it's [B]USA
PhotoMaps though :( [/B]

Does the UK have a national database of high altitude photos? It would seem that is the tricky part.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby The Others » Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:12 pm

Originally posted by Thorn
Does the UK have a national database of high altitude photos? It would seem that is the tricky part.

Funny you should say that, I've just had to submit some substantial work on aerial photography.

Saying that though, I can't remember the exact info ;) (in one ear, onto the paper, nothing remembered type stuff).

But yes, there are tens of millions of (vertical) aerial photos that most cover every sqaure inch of the UK. They are produced for surveys, military applications etc.

There is also a national air photo catalogue and around 10 other large photograph libraries. Non of it digital though, people that want to use it have to digitize it themselves. Also there is issues of altidudanal differences between pictures Blah blah etc etc.

I've got a lot saved on my laptop about it, can post it next time i remember if you like.
The Others

Postby nashr » Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:57 pm

There is a standard elevation format known as Digital Elevation Model (DEM) . If you go to Digital Grove you can find links to all sorts of free, share, and commercial apps for this purpose.

I've played with this a bit. One app, 3DEM is simple and free, but of course limited. I like the idea of a 3D terrain model (especially in hilly areas like up north, eh Thorn?) showing all the NS results.
nashr

Postby Thorn » Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:58 pm

... I like the idea of a 3D terrain model (especially in hilly areas like up north, eh Thorn?) showing all the NS results.

Yeah.

Actually you just gave me an idea. I have DeLorme's Topo product which does very nice 3D maps. You can rotate them realtime, etc. Now I'm wondering if can do a 3D plot with imported data...
Thorn
Thorn

Postby nashr » Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:13 pm

Sounds awesome. Please post some pics of whatever results you get. Did you get the Palm/Visor product as well?

On a side-note, I'm looking for a way to get Waypoints and Routes into my Visor. I've started playing with CetusGPS, but haven't completed the testing yet.
nashr

NS-GPX conversions

Postby nashr » Thu May 01, 2003 4:19 am

Well, thanks to the help of a programmer who shall remain nameless (at least until I figure out who he is on the board here) I've got some very sketchy initial results using NS results in USA Photo Maps.

<snip>

I just found out that my free hosting provider doesn't want me to direct link to images, so here's a quick ugly page with the two image samples.

This is a very simple sample (say that 5 times fast before having your morning coffee) using default settings for the waypoints. The color and size can be modified. Furthermore, the developer has agreed to add a feature to toggle waypoint labels on or off. Let me know what you think of these intial results.
nashr

Re: NS-GPX conversions

Postby Madhadder » Thu May 01, 2003 4:27 am

Here is a topo example and here is a photo example

We would be able to see it better if you had tested the link
prior to posting...
Attachments
site.jpg
site.jpg (39.61 KiB) Viewed 3142 times
Madhadder

Already fixing it

Postby nashr » Thu May 01, 2003 4:34 am

I saw that once I tested it here. I updated the html, but it appears there some server-side caching taking place that won't allow the updated page to be loaded. Argh! I hate free hosting!

Please try this link. Sorry for all the confusion.

Test twice, post once!
nashr

Postby Thorn » Thu May 01, 2003 4:38 am

Hey! That looks familiar!
:D
Thorn
Thorn

Next

Return to Scripts