Best GPSs for NetStumbling

Post info/pics about your rigs that you use for stumbling!

What GPS would you suggest?

Garmin etrex Basic about $120
18%
Garmin etrex Legend about $200 $50 rebate
33%
Magellan 750nav about $1400 new PRICY
2%
Magellan 315 Suggest Retail Price $169
5%
PC Only?
5%
Handheld?
7%
USB?
13%
Serial?
8%
This USB GPS for $99 - PCOnly - [url]http://www.deluo.com/Merchant2/merc...ategory_Code=GR[/url]
10%

Total votes : 146

Postby Eyecannon » Mon May 31, 2004 10:05 am

I voted for basic eTrex, but I alter my vote to say that they are usually only $99 if not cheaper.
No, officer, YOU are under arrest!

http://eyecannon.com/wardrive.html
Eyecannon

Postby ve2vfd » Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:49 pm

magellan 315 here...

Why?

It's what I have lying around (and I'm too cheap to buy a dedicated unit just for wardriving, heck I even am using a home made cable from an old serial mouse cord).

Pat
ve2vfd

My two cents...

Postby HighJoe » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:37 pm

I'm new to the whole wardriving arena, but I'll throw in my two cents and pipe up for the Rayming TripNav (TN-200) USB GPS receiver. It's small enough to hide/mount anywhere, there's no external power supply and it works wonderfully with Garmin's MapSource software. But, if you're looking for a stand-alone unit, then the TripNav isn't for you. :)
HighJoe

Postby lincomatic » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:04 pm

HighJoe wrote:I'm new to the whole wardriving arena, but I'll throw in my two cents and pipe up for the Rayming TripNav (TN-200) USB GPS receiver. It's small enough to hide/mount anywhere, there's no external power supply and it works wonderfully with Garmin's MapSource software. But, if you're looking for a stand-alone unit, then the TripNav isn't for you. :)

this is an excellent receiver. it uses the SiRF IIe/LP chipset, the same chipset used in many of the bluetooth GPS's. fast, reliable fixes w/ accurate heading calc's. also you can tweak it w/ any SiRF-compatible tweaking software to adjust sentence output, baud rate, etc. I haven't tried it, but it has WAAS support as well.

i'm not sure who the real OEM is, but it's also sold under the i.Trek brand. I've also seen them on eBay w/ a different brand name which escapes me at the moment.
~lincomatic
lincomatic
Mini Stumbler

Postby subnetmask » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:57 pm

I use the Haicom mouse...

Small, weatherproof, magnet-mount. Your choice of adapter; USB, Serial, or PDA, or mix and match as you please. I chose serial because serial is plenty for the type of data you're moving, and moreover, I only know of one other person who has a laptop with a serial port, so nobody can bug me about borrowing it.
Thatcher: What would you like to have been?
Charles Foster Kane: Everything you hate.
subnetmask

Postby Starpoint » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:42 pm

I have a Magellan Meridian GPS... it has Maps, WAAS and alot of setup features that make it nice...

also it can hold an SD card (mine has a 128 meg) for more detailed region maps) and can hold 500 waypoints..

Also it will work as a GPS transponder for most other mapping software, but only the Magellan software is able to upload a map to it which I have.
Against the run of the mill, static as it seems

We break the surface tension with our wild kinetic dreams
Curves and lines -- of grand designs...

Tonight's movie "Soylent Green" has been brought to you by our sponsor - Waste Management

My mind is like a Steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in most states
Starpoint

Postby NMNS » Sat May 20, 2006 6:11 pm

I have a GM-210 paid $57 for it...just got it, but love it so far, i just have to get some better mapping software S&T is not so good am thinking about getting mappoint but am not sure.
NMNS
Mini Stumbler

Postby streaker69 » Sat May 20, 2006 6:13 pm

NMNS wrote:I have a GM-210 paid $57 for it...just got it, but love it so far, i just have to get some better mapping software S&T is not so good am thinking about getting mappoint but am not sure.

You do realize you just replied to a 2 year old thread?

I don't know about you, but I'm not a big fan of zombies.
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby brwrdrvr » Sat May 20, 2006 6:45 pm

NMNS wrote:I have a GM-210 paid $57 for it...just got it, but love it so far, i just have to get some better mapping software S&T is not so good am thinking about getting mappoint but am not sure.

[color="White"].....[/color]
Attachments
caution.jpg
caution.jpg (22.19 KiB) Viewed 717 times
Real Linux users write the zeros and ones directly to the hard drive using a refrigerator magnet. ~ bobfunland
brwrdrvr

Previous

Return to Stumbling Setups