Got pulled over

Post info/pics about your rigs that you use for stumbling!

Postby MRK » Sun Mar 30, 2003 12:01 am

I would have said no to thier request to search the vehicle. If you always give in to their demands, sooner or later they are going to start asking for more and more until they can do what ever the hell they want. Gee.... this sounds familiar, like something I just read in my history book.....

-Mr.K
MRK

Postby laptopper » Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:51 am

Well, I did the thing where you put a sound file in the Win dir so it plays when it finds something. It was actually more distracting.. Hense the following.. I am going down main st. The thing goes ding ding ding and 3 are found. I get excited and look. I won't get myself in trouble by admitting anything here but if you want to stay off the sidewalk, ignore the ding!

I also walked into a women's battered and abuse refuge house and told them that their network was open. The manager asked for advise. I said to call their network system provider or tech person and tell them to secure the system because people are finding it open. She was thrilled that I stopped and clueless of what I told her so she wrote it down. She said Sprint installed everthing. I said call them now and left with her thanks. I doubt that I would have the guts to tell most places but someplace like that needs their stuff secure. Made me feel like a cubscout. :)

I think I will walk instead of drive until I get over the excitement. How long does it take?:D
laptopper
Mini Stumbler

Postby muddy mudskippe » Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:50 pm

this is the best traffic Kung-Fu i've ever heard:

Officer: "Can we search your vehicle?"

Detainee: "Do I have a choice?"
muddy mudskippe
Mini Stumbler

Postby RF addict » Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:57 pm

As someone who is often sitting in one of those cars behind you in such situations :cool: I still say NO to a search when I get stopped. (and no, I don't suggest flashing credentials)
A friend and I were stopped near a major city where an interdiction operation was obviously underway. We were in a small sports car travelling back from a long trip after taking a look at an airplane he was looking at buying. We had no luggage, coolers, etc... the stuff you would normally see people take on a road trip. They questioned us extensively and we denied the search. We were in a hurry to get home and didn't have time to dick with it.
I see no problem denying the search. It's your right.
I'm always amazed at the fools with something to actually hide that do say ok and end up in jail.
RF addict
RF addict
Mini Stumbler

Postby Madhadder » Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:45 pm

My My, Arn't we just an itchy witchy bitchy this morning....
Did you forget your Mydol PMS this morning?? :D
Legends may sleep, but they never die!!!!
Madhadder

Postby JonWISP » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:37 am

I've had a few run ins with the law, and it is my ecperience that when you say no to a search they get rather pissed and almost always make up some reason to bring you to the HQ. I never have been arrested, however I have been brought to a few police stations for "suspicious activities" I wonder if its 9/11 or the whole terror alert, but cops don't seem to take kindly to Stumblers.
I'm in Boston and Maine so I don't know about the cops in the other 48 states...
-Jon
JonWISP
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:09 am

If you guys are going to start rehashing these things, you at least should look up these topics:

U.S. v. Ross
U.S. v. Robinson
Whren v. U.S
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby JonWISP » Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:34 am

So these guys said yes you can search my stuff. But how does this relate? I don't use drugs... at least while driving?

We're talkign about being pulled over for having electronic equipment in our cars/trucks and that seeming suspicious to the law...

What are you getting at Thorin? I'm interested.
-Jon
JonWISP
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:14 am

It has nothing to do with drugs, except the cases cited above happened to involve drug searches. It can be drugs, weapons, stolen equipment, etc. Whatever possible criminal activity that an officer suspects.

The point is, under current US Supreme Court decisions, there is no requirement for a search warrant to search a vehicle. In fact there is a "vehicular exemption" to obtaining a warrant.

The lesson here is: Exercise your rights as you see fit, but you should know what the possible consquences are. Don't bitch if you say "no," and you get detained and/or searched anyway.

Read my prior post. About 10 back.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby JonWISP » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:36 am

Good to know. I wonder what states you can say no to car searches. Prolly the live free or die states.... the ones with militias and other states rights folks...
-Jon
JonWISP
Mini Stumbler

Postby Madhadder » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:33 am

Great.... Even if you say NO to the search, they can still hold you
while a warrent is issued. That as far as I know you can't so no too.
Legends may sleep, but they never die!!!!
Madhadder

Postby RF addict » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:47 pm

Well.... like was said earlier, probable cause must exist for them to hold you there if you say no. Sure, if they have a drug dog on scene (just using drugs because that's the most common reason for detainment) if the dog hits on something then the situation progresses past a reasonable suspicion to probable cause. Like Thorn said, there is lots of case law on it. It's still confusing even to the people that have to work in the field. Local courts always have their own spin on thigs in the end too.

A car can be searched without a warrant if probable cause exists. This has been rationalized by the mobile nature of a vehicle. "The crime scene can up and drive away". ( Ross etc... cases Thorn cited).

In today's climate of fear I suppose an argument could be made that wifi equipment pointed at a govt. facility etc... could constitute probable cause in an officer's mind.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if they are intent on searching then it's going to happen anyway. I doubt that saying no will escalate the situation all that much.

Common sense goes a long way.

RF addict
RF addict
Mini Stumbler

Postby JonWISP » Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:21 am

Common sence like not carrying that pound of hash with you while you go stumbling ;)
-Jon
JonWISP
Mini Stumbler

Postby G8tK33per » Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:42 pm

Originally posted by RF addict
Well.... like was said earlier, probable cause must exist for them to hold you there if you say no. Sure, if they have a drug dog on scene (just using drugs because that's the most common reason for detainment) if the dog hits on something then the situation progresses past a reasonable suspicion to probable cause. Like Thorn said, there is lots of case law on it. It's still confusing even to the people that have to work in the field. Local courts always have their own spin on thigs in the end too.

A car can be searched without a warrant if probable cause exists. This has been rationalized by the mobile nature of a vehicle. "The crime scene can up and drive away". ( Ross etc... cases Thorn cited).

In today's climate of fear I suppose an argument could be made that wifi equipment pointed at a govt. facility etc... could constitute probable cause in an officer's mind.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if they are intent on searching then it's going to happen anyway. I doubt that saying no will escalate the situation all that much.

Common sense goes a long way.

RF addict

...reasonable suspicion is enough to have your day ruined, so are hunches from experienced officers and past experiences. Read up on some case law before you give any more advice and get someone screwed.
"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Sons of Confederate Veterans
G8tK33per

Postby RF addict » Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:49 pm

You're right, I should have stuck with the term "reasonable suspicion".
You tend to get used to what's "accepted practice" in your own area. Around here it takes more than just a hunch for it to fly through our courts, but every place differs.

RF addict
RF addict
Mini Stumbler

PreviousNext

Return to Stumbling Setups