Got pulled over

Post info/pics about your rigs that you use for stumbling!

Postby Redman247 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:28 am

Sounds like a plan. :D
BastardCard Bastardize the possibilities....
Accepted in over 187 countries as a way to tell others to shut the hell up! BastardCard, not just another card, it's a way of life!
Redman247

Postby CableRave » Mon May 03, 2004 4:24 pm

Thats when i whip out my video camera and start videp taping him after all i am a cop hunter.
CableRave
Mini Stumbler

Postby iceburn68 » Mon May 03, 2004 4:30 pm

CableRave wrote:Thats when i whip out my video camera and start videp taping him after all i am a cop hunter.

A cop hunter?
iceburn68
Mini Stumbler

Postby Redman247 » Thu May 06, 2004 12:06 am

CableRave wrote:Thats when i whip out my video camera and start videp taping him after all i am a cop hunter.

Perhaps you should research the architecture of your government a bit more. Then you may find out that even secretaries or janitors can be (and are) federal employees. That does not make them an officer of the law, it truly only means that there retirement is a bit more secure than say a contractor. Not all federal employees have badges and weapons. So instead of watching Hollywood B movies and believing that is where to vent your resentment towards you should research and then direct.

Cop hunter indeed..
BastardCard Bastardize the possibilities....
Accepted in over 187 countries as a way to tell others to shut the hell up! BastardCard, not just another card, it's a way of life!
Redman247

Got pulled over

Postby m151a2 » Mon May 10, 2004 7:59 am

I was evaluating a Xybernaut wearable pc, with a wireless configuration, for my company and was trying to see if I could get a link to my company from my home (did not work, too far away) so I started driving back towards the office and had a 2 foot yagi sticking out of my passenger window.

I was on the shoulder and moving slowly parallel to an Air Force base (I know, stupid, but I was wrapped up in the test). Anyway, I was stopped by a local sheriff and he walks up to my truck and just stands there looking at me.

I have a tac vest on with all of the computer crap hanging on it and a heads up display monacle with a wire running from the vest to the yagi. I figure it is ticket time if for no other reason than the monacle or two foot of antenna hanging out of my truck. He asks me what I am doing and I explain (dropped the name of the large defense company I work for) that I was looking for an rf link shooting across the base to do so. He asked about the eye piece and I explained. To keep this short, I wound up out of the car handing him the head piece, this is a short cord, and he puts it on standing beside me and looks at what I got going on!

He decided that it wa pretty cool and at that time no law against looking like some sort of Borg wannabe in your car. As the car was moving on the shoulder I had not broken any law with the antenna and he simply sent me on my way.

not a bad outcome.
m151a2
Mini Stumbler

Postby Madhadder » Mon May 10, 2004 2:32 pm

I am M151a2 of Kansas.. Resistance if Futile....
You will be Wardriven... :D
Legends may sleep, but they never die!!!!
Madhadder

cops

Postby pawn » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:51 pm

If they are nice, then be nice. If they are pricks, then tell them you don't talk to cops, that's why you have an attorney. It's free to consult an attorney and get a couple business cards to hand out at those moments. Chances are that you will be treated much more politely. It's generally the law of the jungle with police. You can't out-force them, but you can out-think them, and out-threaten them, and if you make them afraid of you then they will leave you alone.

I used to practice kendo outside my house after work at night. Usually about 3 in the morning. The first encounter I had with the police was with them trespassing on my private property, with guns out, sneaking up on me! They were totally in the wrong, at least according to my lawyer. Since they were polite, I responded in kind. I probably made their night, they were bored silly and I gave them some excitement. I think most cops are adrenaline junkeys. The best thing is to be calm and deliberate with them.

I had another encounter where the officer was hassling a friend of mine and had refused to give out his badge number. I told him I was going to file charges for harassment and whatever else my attorney could come up with. That cop avoids me now (small town).

Unfortunately, I've found that most police don't know the laws. Especially the older ones. If you know the laws, then you can protect yourself from being hassled by some inbred jed. For some reason law enforcement tends to attract rigid thinkers.
pawn
Mini Stumbler

Postby wrzwaldo » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:20 pm

pawn wrote:If they are nice, then be nice. If they are pricks, then tell them you don't talk to cops, that's why you have an attorney. It's free to consult an attorney and get a couple business cards to hand out at those moments. Chances are that you will be treated much more politely. It's generally the law of the jungle with police. You can't out-force them, but you can out-think them, and out-threaten them, and if you make them afraid of you then they will leave you alone.

I used to practice kendo outside my house after work at night. Usually about 3 in the morning. The first encounter I had with the police was with them trespassing on my private property, with guns out, sneaking up on me! They were totally in the wrong, at least according to my lawyer. Since they were polite, I responded in kind. I probably made their night, they were bored silly and I gave them some excitement. I think most cops are adrenaline junkeys. The best thing is to be calm and deliberate with them.

I had another encounter where the officer was hassling a friend of mine and had refused to give out his badge number. I told him I was going to file charges for harassment and whatever else my attorney could come up with. That cop avoids me now (small town).

Unfortunately, I've found that most police don't know the laws. Especially the older ones. If you know the laws, then you can protect yourself from being hassled by some inbred jed. For some reason law enforcement tends to attract rigid thinkers.

Okay jethro put down that crack pipe! Time to come back down to earth...
wrzwaldo

in the emerald isle...

Postby GovCon » Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:12 pm

The chances of the lazy irish police pulling anyone over because of a laptop are so low that it really doesnt matter if theres a law against it or not :)
As for actually trying to convey to them what you are doing, well there isnt enough time in the universe, we irish dont like technology (cept me)
For long you live and high you fly,
For smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry.
And all you touch and all you see,
Is all your life will ever be.
GovCon

Postby nashr » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:39 am

Madhadder wrote:I am M151a2 of Kansas.. Resistance if Futile....
You will be Wardriven... :D

I am Homer of Borg. Prepare to be...

Ooooh... Donuts!!!
Help! I've been Simpsonized!
nashr

US Marshals

Postby Scotian » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:20 pm

The post a ways back about disassembled guns and ammo in the back seat reminded me of something that happened years ago.

Across the alley from my apartment was a driveway that I pretty much needed to access to get out of my parking spot. One morning there was a large black Volvo with tinted windows parked there, with two men in suits. I had never seen a car of any type there before. I got in my car and was pissed at the inconvenience, so I zipped in reverse, slipped out between two cars, spun my steering wheel, and stopped just short of hitting the car. (To politely ask them to move their car never even entered my head -- since they seemed potentially dangerous, pissing them off seemed to be a better option than approaching them ;-).) The two guys in suits were glaring at me as I left. Man, were they pissed. I imagine they also saw the NRA sticker in my rear window.

I drove around the block to the front of the house and went inside. I showed my pasty liberal roommate the car. He had a nice second-story view, pretty much right into their front seat. He chided and scoffed at me for being so paranoid about things. I said fine, just thought I'd show you.

An hour later at work he called me, saying he had been watching the mysterious car. He saw the people inside fidget around with guns they had produced as they sat there waiting, waiting. My roommate called the police, who eventually arrived with guns drawn, slowly approaching the vehicle. As it turned out (he called the police to follow up), the car had two US Marshals in it who were waiting to apprehend or serve a warrant to someone who lived nearby, and the cops probably blew their cover, such as it was. The cops said "They never tell us anything when they're in the area." The driveway was owned by a federal judge who apparently let them use it.

My mother, who was a volunteer cop of sorts, had one of her cop friends run the car's plates (I had written down the number). It belonged to a company that apparently didn't exist.

Good times.
Scotian
Mini Stumbler

Previous

Return to Stumbling Setups