Heat problems

Post info/pics about your rigs that you use for stumbling!

Postby Jagger » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:27 pm

Well.... If it goes through your sleeve You may look pretty stupid, hold your arms out and run as fast as possible allowing as much air as possible to go down the sleeves cooling everything. :D Thats what I do in the car I just slam on the pedal with the windows down when my A\C isn't working.

P.S. : If sombody asks what your doing, say your being superman for the kids. :p
Jagger
Mini Stumbler

Postby ElectroBot » Fri May 27, 2005 7:19 pm

You could try what I did for the last 3 (around 20 mins each) warwalks.

I've got a iBook G4 1Ghz 256MB 40GB with a USB GPS (Holux GM-210) and a USB wifi adapter (D-Link DWL-122) in which the harddrive does heat up quite a bit sometimes and the area between the screen and the kayboard gets a bit warm as well. I got rid of everything from my backpack, propped the screen open with a loonie (Canadian $1 coin - metallic, about an inch in diameter) (vertically) to keep the laptop from going to sleep and to disapate heat. I used electrical tape to hold the screen and computer "part" of the laptop closer together and not allow the coin to slide out. I've got a neoprene case for the laptop but don't use it for warwalking.

The laptop doesn't seem hotter than usual when I take it out.
ElectroBot
Mini Stumbler

Postby Scruge » Sat May 28, 2005 5:43 am

theprez98 wrote:Anyways, quite expectedly, the laptop got pretty warm, as the sleeve doesn't really allow much room for cooling. Also, the fan is on the bottom end of the sleeve. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problems, and if so, what were you able to do to remedy the situation?

This is a little late!

A few other things you might consider as well.

1) Check your bios to see if you can run at slower cpu speed.
2) See if you can use a flash card or ram drive as your logging drive. Should help to keep your hdd from having to spin-up so frequently.
3) Check your power management settings, (Speedstep or other) set them accordingly if possible.
4) Make sure your display is off when closed.
5) As mentioned earlier a well ventilated back pack. My son has a camel back that has a very large exterior pocket made of fish netting. As I recall it appeared to be large enough for notebook. You might check with various cycle shops. Other option is to notch your pack where the notebooks vents are. Make sure to reinforce with a spot stitch on either side of the notch. You can use a lighter flame or soldering iron to bind the cut edge of the notch to keep it from fraying.
6) If your problem is exacerbated on sunny days then you need to place a radiant heat barrier between notebook and sun, foil, metalized mylar (like a potato chips bag) Make sure the barrier doesn't touch your notebook though.
Scruge

Postby johnniew » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:49 am

As Scruge mentioned many of laptops have a type of speed stepping technology to reduce battery usage and will also make everything run cooler.

I'm sure I've seen some software that can do this, which would be easier than having to adjust bios settings
http://www.dealsonice.net for all you In Car Entertainment Accessories.
johnniew

Previous

Return to Stumbling Setups