I'm up to ....

Post info/pics about your rigs that you use for stumbling!

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 03, 2002 4:56 pm

I'm also using Kismet now. I found 1,700 at last count in January with Netstumbler. I've probably found another 1,000 or so more with Kismet.

Symphony=HomeRF

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 05, 2002 1:25 am

The Proxim Symphony Cards are NOT 802.11b compliant - they are based on the HomeRF standard (OpenAir, too, I think). They are FHSS not DSSS and have a max data rate of 1.6 Mbps.

They will not work with NetStumbler. Period. Get yourself a nice Orinoco card or OEM Orinoco card...

<da.nyet>

Proxim Prism2, HRF.

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 06, 2002 1:49 am

Da.Nyet:
Thanks for the help, but I found the info I was looking for.
The Home RF standard is a pain to deal with, but in reality, I bought these cards for my micro-net in the home/shop, so running NS was an afterthought really.

I was hoping I might have been able to use the Proxim Symphony cards, but can't, so it is of no great loss.
BTW, the Proxim cards are VERY simple to add external antennas to though. All my cards are fitted with "real" antennas so I can access my net from the 5 acres, or the
living room, it matters not to the machines now.
Simply split the plastic cover on the antenna, open the feed point right at the matching line to the patch antenna, and solder your new cable to the center pin and the body of the connector(I use SMA connectors), plus it makes using the holes on the antenna card accessible for use as a tie down for your cable addition too.

www.geocities.com/aec9823/page2.html

Previous

Return to Stumbling Setups