Ice's new fuel efficient cruiser

Post info/pics about your rigs that you use for stumbling!

Ice's new fuel efficient cruiser

Postby King_Ice_Flash » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:45 am

Vehicle:
1984 GoldWing Aspencade GL1200. 43K miles, and very clean.
Laptop:
Dell Inspiron 600m
Toxic Ranch RP-SMA modified Orinoco Classic
Wistron CM9 Atheros internal
7.4 dBi Black fiberglass Comet antenna.

I am in the process of making it very clean, installing onboard power, and having the antenna bracket located.

Either the Lind Electronics DE2035-1317 DC-DC converter will be powering my laptop, or I may just stick with the dual battery setup that gives me about 6.5 hrs.

I am getting an RF-Modulator for the laptop so I can use the Itunes over the intercom. I was going to install my Alpine CD player with an aux input, however, the intercom system is built into the tape player and would not work :(
"Yeah," said a voice from under the table, "you go to pieces so fast people get hit by the shrapnel."
King_Ice_Flash

Postby King_Ice_Flash » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:50 am

Enough buttons, knobs, and gauges to keep even an F-16 pilot happy!

Hope this gives you an idea of how big the trunk area is. I got room to spare!

"Yeah," said a voice from under the table, "you go to pieces so fast people get hit by the shrapnel."
King_Ice_Flash

Postby Pyrotechnic » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:12 am

Wow, sweet, that rocks. Just how efficient is 'efficient' ?
Stumble and ye shall find.
http://www.pyro-net.com
Pyrotechnic

Postby King_Ice_Flash » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:15 am

Right now 46 MPG. Was kinda disappointing, but it costs 13 bucks to fill up at $3.25 a gallon.
King_Ice_Flash

Postby King_Ice_Flash » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:15 am

About 46 MPG. Was kinda disappointing, but it costs 13 bucks to fill up at $3.25 a gallon.
King_Ice_Flash

Postby Dutch » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:16 am

King_Ice_Flash wrote:Image

Enough buttons, knobs, and gauges to keep even an F-16 pilot happy!

Nice KIF.. The Honda GoldWing is a sweet ride, I want dibs on a Wardriving trip, if I get stateside. :)

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Postby wrzwaldo » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:38 am

Nice ride KIF!!!!
wrzwaldo

Postby King_Ice_Flash » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:02 pm

Added some more photos.

If someone could design me a LCD display setup that would be great. I have seen people using them for stumbling setups, but never saw instructions. I could use both Kismet and NS support for it. I use both.
King_Ice_Flash

Postby dakkon2k » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:26 pm

KIF,
Glad to see someone else doing this first :D
I'm wanting to do the same thing except on a BMW R1100 RTP
My main concern is shock mounting the laptop in the trunk. Is the Goldwing sprung that soft that it's not an issue or will you be going with closed cell foam to support it while in use?
As for Video I've thought about the following:
A 5.7" TFT/LCD mobile monitor (like what you see in cars in the headrests) They can take S-Video and RCA inputs. Will continue looking for a better option but for now thats what I see as a best option.
A removeable mounting system. Weather and theft considerations while not at home/work. Placement is critical as not to obscure gauges and not to get un-wanted attention from LEO.
A Wireless mouse for "quick" operations while stopped. eg switch to NS from maping program or re-lauch apps after a system crash.

I'm keeping an eye out for a used laptop that has a sub 10" display, I remember some old Toshiba`s that would do ok they hade like 6" LCDs with 800x600 max. Not bad and cheap if found at a swap meet or garage sale.

Uber geek: Flaskback CycleVision™ Digital Recording System for Motorcycles
Unable to apply patch, Please install M$ Outlook to continue. :confused:
A journey of a thousand posts begins with How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
dakkon2k

Location: Quite a bit EAST & a smidgen south of the world famous Rat. 2 miles from the beach or 1/2 a mile

Postby streaker69 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:30 pm

dakkon2k wrote:KIF,
Glad to see someone else doing this first :D
I'm wanting to do the same thing except on a BMW R1100 RTP
My main concern is shock mounting the laptop in the trunk. Is the Goldwing sprung that soft that it's not an issue or will you be going with closed cell foam to support it while in use?

Just get yourself a panasonic toughbook. They're made to withstand the shock.

I'm keeping an eye out for a used laptop that has a sub 10" display, I remember some old Toshiba`s that would do ok they hade like 6" LCDs with 800x600 max. Not bad and cheap if found at a swap meet or garage sale.

Uber geek: Flaskback CycleVision™ Digital Recording System for Motorcycles

I have an older Toshiba, wanna buy it? ;)
Treat your gun like your genitals, only whip it out when it's absolutely necessary.
streaker69

Location: Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Postby King_Ice_Flash » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:31 pm

There is carpet in the bottom and it is getting strapped down. If I dorked something hard enough to get a head crash out of the laptop. I think the laptop is going to be the least of my worries.

In the worst case, I got complete care coverage.

The bike has adjustable air shocks. It does ride nice.
King_Ice_Flash

Postby King_Ice_Flash » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:32 pm

I was looking for a display like this:
http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/634usb/index.html

However, I have not seen it used for Kismet.
King_Ice_Flash

Postby SignalSeeker » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:59 pm

I have seen 7 and 8 inch LCDs in housings with serial or usb touchscreens on EBay for what I thought was a decent price. They all had a "universal" mount, what ever that meant.

Good luck,
Justin
SignalSeeker

Postby King_Ice_Flash » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:08 pm

I want something small, like 2X3" that will show the total APs, Encryped and Non-Encrypted, and the most recent discovery, and any warnings that Kismet gives.
King_Ice_Flash

Postby Dutch » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:45 pm

King_Ice_Flash wrote:I want something small, like 2X3" that will show the total APs, Encryped and Non-Encrypted, and the most recent discovery, and any warnings that Kismet gives.

Why not just enable flite output in kismet, and pipe the audio from the laptop to the GoldWings audiosystem ?
Or if visual information is a requirement, then if you can code in C++, writing a kismet client that just polls those informations from the server, and pipe them to a LCD display shouldn't be to hard to do. Take a look at the Specialty Clients branch in the Kismet SVN repository, the ones there should give you something that could be adapted to your needs.

Dutch
All your answers are belong to Google. SEARCH DAMMIT!
Warning. Warning.
Low C8H10N4O2 level detected. Operator halted....
Dutch

Next

Return to Stumbling Setups