Its wireless pasta!

Post info/pics about your rigs that you use for stumbling!

Its wireless pasta!

Postby Tuckie » Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:11 pm

This is a picture of my first official (had borrowed a card) setup for wardriving. Not real sure if ill stick with the cantenna, I have to get around to making an omnidirectional antenna (i have an omni that I'm borrowing from a friend as well, but its a cheap pos).

Not pictured is a dell inspiron 8600, some usb extensions, as well as a 10ft N(m) to N (f) cable
I decided to go with the usb client so that i could use it with my desktop if i felt so inclined. Pictured below is the hole i cut so that the pigtail would go through. Another reason I like this more so than the stand-alone card is that this will put WAY less stress upon the mc connector. Using usb to extend the antenna away from the laptop was also a big plus.
The difference between the internal antenna and the pasta cantenna (only like 10ft away from the access point.
Tuckie
Mini Stumbler

Postby peekitty » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:56 am

Nice job. You can use a rubber grommet to give the USB adaper a finished appearance, and to prevent cable wear at the point where it passes through the case.
peekitty

Postby Tuckie » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:36 am

thats an option but id have to make the hole a lot bigger to do so. That hole is just big enough so I can fit the mc connector through. I still havent decided if i want to make a slit in the top as well so that i can take off the pigtail more easily.
Tuckie
Mini Stumbler

Postby agentgrn » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:11 am

I'm gonna have to agree with the grommet, especially if it can save you a pigtail. I have a USB Orinoco with the grommet on the side with the wire running around inside.

Ideally, once you have the pigtail in place, you should try to leave it alone as much as possible. The connectors aren't exactly the strongest parts and can be subject to failure, though YMMV.
-A.G.-
agentgrn

Return to Stumbling Setups