little help with getting gps working please.

Post info/pics about your rigs that you use for stumbling!

little help with getting gps working please.

Postby veritas » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:22 am

EDIT: please disregard this post. actually used the search function up there ^^ and found some more information. sorry for wasting your time and feel free to delete this post. thank you and have a good day. :D

ok i have a emachines m6805 and the DeLORME Earthmate that comes with Street Atlas USA 2004. I just need some help with the setup. In the NS options and i click on the GPS tab. for protocol i have tried using "Earthmate" and "NMEA 0183" as this is a NMEA compliant device. neither have worked. Port is where i think my problem is. I am using a USB cable to connect this device to my computer. therefore i have no idea what COM port it is using. i have tried them all but they all say "Disconnected" or "Port Unavailable" except for Port 3. When i try to use port 3 i get a "Listening" message for about 3-5 seconds then it says "Timed Out." I have tried messing with the Baud rate, and flow control a little. nothing seems to help. any advice out there?
veritas
Mini Stumbler

Postby King_Ice_Flash » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:28 am

Are you using a USB GPS or a serial to usb adaptor?

If you are using a adaptor, go into the device manager and check to find out
which com port it is using and make sure the speed is the same as your protocol. NMEA is 4800. Then make sure you select the same port in NetStumbler.

If you are using a USB GPS, I believe you need to find software to simulate the serial port.
"Yeah," said a voice from under the table, "you go to pieces so fast people get hit by the shrapnel."
King_Ice_Flash

Postby veritas » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:33 am

thanks king. i edited my post above but if anyone is having some questions like mine please check here. as it will probably answer all of them.

not to mention the search tool at the top is pretty helpful. haha
veritas
Mini Stumbler

Return to Stumbling Setups