mognet - java sniffer for pocket pc

Post info/pics about your rigs that you use for stumbling!

mognet - java sniffer for pocket pc

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 27, 2001 6:45 pm

Has anybody seen Mognet - or have a copy? I read a short blurb on it at http://www.securiteam.com/tools/6U00C203FW.html the other day. I just got an Ipaq and this looks very nice but the mognet site (http://chocobospore.org/mognet/) has been down every time I've tried it.

Here's the write-up on it:
Mognet is a free, open source wireless Ethernet sniffer/analyzer written in Java. It is licensed under the GNU General Public License. It was designed for handheld devices like the iPaq in mind, but will run just as well on a desktop or laptop.

Features include:
* Real-time output of captured frames.
* Detailed description of any frame, including all IEEE 802.11 generic and frame-specific headers.
* Raw hex and ascii dump of any frame.
* Space-efficient presentation of information for convenient operation on handhelds.
* Saving and loading of frames in Ethereal/Libpcap/Tcpdump format.
* Text-mode frame capture for GUI-less devices.

Getting JAVA on an IPAQ

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 27, 2001 9:52 pm

To run this, you need to have JAVA on your Ipaq. You can run a JAVA emulator on a 'native' IPAQ with WinCE or replace it with Linux and Java or run a native Java environment. The site below gives all kinds of details about it.

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-1 ... vices.html

I kindof like the idea of the emulator on WinCE. That way I can still run my card's native diagnostic/site survey tools (Cisco and Orinoco), NS Mini when it comes out or the wireless sniffer.

I'm still not sure if there are drivers to put either of my cards into promiscuous mode on an Ipaq but this certainly seems like a pretty cool addition to a sumbling setup.

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 28, 2001 12:12 am

As far as I can see you still need to put Linux on your ipaq to get this baby to run..

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 17, 2002 11:41 pm

So what's the consensus here guys ? Can it run on Wince or not ??

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 18, 2002 4:22 am

Well on the web site it says the following:

--
Win32 Note: Windows does not support a cross-platform,
card-independent method of raw 802.11 frame capture and
thus is not compatible with Mognet.
--

http://chocobospore.org/mognet/

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 27, 2002 2:33 am

Win32 is not the same as Windows CE - Win32 referrs to Windows 98, etc.

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 27, 2002 11:57 am

It is working now + downloading ok too

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 27, 2002 1:07 pm

unclex can you give a bit more info regarding your reply!
Are you saying you have mognet working under wince?

Not likely under WinCE / PocketPC

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 30, 2002 10:49 am

Note that contrary to the opinion of one of the replies above, WinCE/PocketPC is based (albeit loosely) on a trimmed-down Win32 kernel.

Having looked at the Mognet stuff, I'm pretty sure you won't get this running under Java on an iPaq, unless you install Linux on it. Why? Because as the Mognet FAQ states, there isn't a card & vendor-independant way of accessing a wireless LAN nic under Windows, and that includes the PocketPC platform (unfortunately). Linux has a set of APIs for talking to cards such as these without relying on a vendor-specific driver implementation (not entirely accurate, but close enough - basically, the Linux drivers expose a common API at a lower level in the kernel)

Also, the JVM (Java Virtual Machine) is not an "emulator". A JVM is a JVM. You don't emulate Java, you interpret and run the bytecode.

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 11, 2002 12:41 pm

not in ce

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 29, 2002 12:59 pm

Has anyone successfully gotten a sniffing program to run under pocketpc?

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 30, 2002 7:45 am

Despite being written in Java, Mognet will not operate under any Windows OS. This is due to restrictions in the NDIS network driver model, which does not allow capturing raw 802.11b frames (as discussed above).

From the mognet site... =\

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 30, 2002 8:40 pm

ahhh the joy of java

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 01, 2002 4:55 am

You can get CENiffer. I can't find the web-site at the moment (didn't look long, gotta get moving this AM). It works very well. You can download an eval from their web site.

Next

Return to Stumbling Setups