My latest setup

Post info/pics about your rigs that you use for stumbling!

My latest setup

Postby Dave Joyce » Wed Apr 24, 2002 2:34 pm

here are a few pics of my setup

http://www.dew-drop.com/wireless/

Only thing that I'm missing still is a GPS.. . Still short on money.
It's a pretty simple deal.

Gateway P3 Laptop with DC-to-AC power inverter
15' USB cable running to the trunk
ORiNOCO Gold USB Client in the trunk
IBM 4dBi gain antenna mounted on the car's origonal antenna mounting point (I have an MP3 deck, no need for FM :) )

...questions, comments, and suggestiong are welcome
Dave Joyce
Mini Stumbler

Postby Stunod7 » Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:01 pm

Nice rig, I like what you've done with your antenna on the rear. Couple of comments:

#1.) Bravo on the antenna, that kicks (_|_) I'd do the same, but I need my talk radio from time to time.

#2.) I really like what you've done with the USB cable connecting back to the ORiNOCO Gold USB Client in the trunk. But just as much as I like it, I dislike it as well. I'm a bit of a fanatic and I'm going to need my USB port for splitting my GPS data cable so that I can plot with NetStumbler and use MapPoint2002 to keep track of every street I've stumbled. More cables... But more functionality

#3.) Wait... No, only 2.

If you'd like any info on my rig-in-progress let me know. I don't have any pictures yet, and I'm working on getting a different laptop. Right now I'm using my company one, and since I don't plan on benig here much longer... I'd better buy one while I still get employee rates. ;)

I just picked up a Garmin eTrex Venture for $169.andchange from Circuit City... I found it for as cheap from $139 from http://shop.store.yahoo.com/thegpsworld/index.html They sell under the MSRP, so you'll have to actually add one to your cart to get the price. I just couldn't wait... I needed to pick my GPS up as soon as I got my tax refund in :)

Ok, time to do some work... Or something like that.
Hmm... Cisco
Hmm... Wireless
Hmmmmmm.... Wireless Cisco...
Stunod7
Mini Stumbler

Postby Dave Joyce » Thu Apr 25, 2002 5:12 pm

Ah ha. . I have 2 USB ports on my Laptop, and I plan on getting a serial based GPS so I can use it with Linux too.

I had several reasons for going USB.
1) I wanted the antenna mounted in on the stock mount for the car, and I didn't want to run RF cable up to the front, too much loss.
2) I've already broken THREE of the friggin ORiNOCO connectors. At ten bucks a pop, I can't afford to keep repairing the cable! :D It's much simpler for me to just have the card in a PCMCIA to USB bridge ($35 on ebay) in the trunk.

Do you think the antenna would be less noticable if it was painted black?

David Joyce
Network Security Engineer
SafeSectors, inc.
Dave Joyce
Mini Stumbler

very rad indeed

Postby carbolic » Thu Apr 25, 2002 5:32 pm

I really dig that antenna. I think it looks great in white, like the car. The only real trick you need is to run the wire under the antenna, through the fender, so it doesn't show on the trunk lip.

Also, your idea of using USB for the long run is very clever.

I've seen a lot of weird antennas on cars lately. Many I couldn't figure out. Many are cell antennas for onstar, etc. Some are ham radio.

I even saw one guy years ago with a shark-fin antenna like airplanes have. Turned out to be just decoration, not a CRM-114 discrimator.

I'm sure yours won't attract much attention. But if you are really concerned, get a whip antena without a radome.

I wish I could mount an antenna like that, but my FM antenna is in the rear glass :)
Attachments
body-mount.jpg
body-mount.jpg (3.95 KiB) Viewed 3554 times
carbolic

Postby lincomatic » Thu Apr 25, 2002 10:29 pm

i have an etrex camo. one thing i don't like about the etrex line is that it only updates once every 2 seconds in NMEA mode. you can get 1 sec updates, but only in Garmin mode, and most s/w such as netstumbler doesn't support that. Garmin's tech support says they don't have any plans to fix this, either. the plain etrex can be had for $99 if you look hard enough. i got mine from sports chalet.
~lincomatic
lincomatic
Mini Stumbler

Orinono and external antenna question

Postby lowereastsider » Sat Apr 27, 2002 7:03 am

Dave,

Could you explain how you connected an external antenna to the Orinoco USB?

Also, what do you think of the Orinoco's performance?

I'm considering getting one and using a USB extender to connect it via Cat5 to my computer over about 100'

Thanks!
lowereastsider
Mini Stumbler

Postby Dave Joyce » Sat Apr 27, 2002 8:59 am

I just responded to your other thread on that :)

Your only problem is that the USB 1.1 Spec states a maximum of 5 meters (16.5') between devices. To make a 100' run you will need seven USB Hubs or get an Active range extension cable.

http://www.comready.com/gwc5musbacex.html

That one can handle 40 ~ 80 feet. .

How this helps you.
David Joyce, CSSA
SafeSectors, Inc.
http://www.wirelesstalk.net/
Dave Joyce
Mini Stumbler

USB extension

Postby lowereastsider » Sat Apr 27, 2002 9:12 am

Got your other reply -- Thanks.

Problem is, not only do I need 100ft, but I need to use Cat5 (which is already in the walls).

I was thinking about looking at some other type of PCMCIA adapter/bridge that would connect right to the Cat5 or Ethernet.
lowereastsider
Mini Stumbler

wireless

Postby carbolic » Sat Apr 27, 2002 11:32 am

What bothers me is how many more wires it takes to go wireless.
carbolic

Re: USB extension

Postby Thorn » Sat Apr 27, 2002 3:33 pm

Originally posted by lowereastsider
<snip>... I was thinking about looking at some other type of PCMCIA adapter/bridge that would connect right to the Cat5 or Ethernet.

lowereastsider, the average low-end AP is little more than an Ethernet to PCMCIA card interface. Sometimes with a minimal processor of some type. Some of the cheaper ones might be just what your looking for; Linksys, D-Link, etc. come to mind.

Cheers,
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

AP

Postby lowereastsider » Sat Apr 27, 2002 7:29 pm

Thorn,

This is very interesting.

Can an AP be used as a client?

I have a Compex WP11 -- any suggestion how to use it as a client?

If not, I would get another AP, as long as I could use it as a client.

Thanks!
lowereastsider
Mini Stumbler

Postby Thorn » Sat Apr 27, 2002 8:28 pm

To tell you the truth, I don't know, having never tried. I do know that the hardware is close to what you are looking for. The Linksys WAP11s can be a client to another WAP11. Whether you can get them to scan the channels and and send the NS beacons might be the challenge.

Cheers,
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Postby Stunod7 » Sun Apr 28, 2002 4:12 pm

I know this is off the topic, but where did you get your MP3 deck at and who makes it (Manufacture/Model)?
Hmm... Cisco
Hmm... Wireless
Hmmmmmm.... Wireless Cisco...
Stunod7
Mini Stumbler

Postby Dave Joyce » Sun Apr 28, 2002 4:26 pm

It's an Aiwa CDC-MP3 - It was $299 two years ago for Christmas. I think my wife got it from Crutchfield. I LOVE it, but it has no anti-skip buffer. But hey, I get 8 ~ 14 hours of MP3's on one disc.

My wife hates it because I have a "freeway driving" disc that's all trance / techno. . Paul Van Dyk, BT, PPK, Paul Okenfold, etc. . She goes pretty much insane after the 4 hour drive to Vegas :)
David Joyce, CSSA
SafeSectors, Inc.
http://www.wirelesstalk.net/
Dave Joyce
Mini Stumbler

mobile antennas

Postby mikey » Mon May 27, 2002 5:09 am

Nice pic Carbolic! I am using a 5dB Maxrad antenna on my truck for "research" purposes. I chose that one because it has an enclosed phasing coil, and looks darn close to a PCS antenna. As an RF engineer, the exposed coil at 2.4 GHz would stick out like a red flag to me. Not that my truck doesn't already do that with all the other antennas I have on it! :D As soon as I get the digital camera back from my wife, I'll post a photo!

Regards to all,

Mikey
mikey
Mini Stumbler

Return to Stumbling Setups