My setup.

Post info/pics about your rigs that you use for stumbling!

Postby Airstreamer » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:06 pm

renderman wrote:1 - My '88 van gets better milage than most, if not all modern SUV's
2- I don't slow down. You should'nt have to unless your connecting and we won't mention what happens if you try to....
3 - Again, why are you slowing down?

I went wardriving in -20F the other night. Believe me, a heated vehicle is nessecary!

Ziplock bags work wonders

Not a bad idea, however you can easily wardrive at 50mph and faster (channel hopping speed needs tweaking at higher speeds). I'd prefer to cover more ground.

OK, Florida is a different story than Canada I guess, though personally I would feel alot more vulnerable having a >$2000 laptop and other tech gear in the front basket than having it in a '93 exploder.. I mean explorer

If your truely worried about missing AP's there's nothing to say you can't run multiple antennas and cover every angle. I'm running 2 directionals out the sides and 2 omni's on my roof. There's not much I miss.

yup, I'm bored at work and responding to everything

I quit using the directionals. I kinda figured it skews the signal strengths when the points are uploaded to WiGLE, as I was under the impression that they were doing some rough triangulation based on signal strength and lat/long.

sTEVE
"But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know.""

- Rudyard Kipling
Airstreamer

Postby RedSector » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:29 pm

Hey, come back here with my thread...
meh, its ok if you hijack it, but those Rover mounts are really cool. I am considering getting another one under the guise of diversity but it would be more or less to be the geekiest laptop in town.
Get thine ass into the Church
The Church of Wifi
RedSector
Mini Stumbler

Postby OldSchool » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:30 pm

renderman wrote:1 - My '88 van gets better milage than most, if not all modern SUV's
2- I don't slow down. You should'nt have to unless your connecting and we won't mention what happens if you try to....
3 - Again, why are you slowing down?

Ziplock bags work wonders

That's right that would make a interesting commercial for Ziplock.

Well the 93 exploder and the Vaio are provided by my employer so I can setup networks. The Vaio although it's cute kinda sucks with 128meg ram and a 400mhz processor. I wonder if processor speed has anything to do with how quickly it finds AP's or does it pretty much not matter too much. In Florida most people take the speed limit and add 15 or 20 mph to it I like to take my time now and see what I'm driving past.

I like to try to figure out where exactally the AP is located. I saw someone that named their SSID to the same as their vanity plate on their car. Uasually neighborhoods that are more affulent tend to have alot more AP's. the Ghetto's you might get only one or two.

I do have one goal as far as hacking. One of the steakhouses here that I like to go to happens to use those phoney beepers that light up when you're called. I would like get into that system or make mine go off a minute after I get it instead of waiting 30 minutes. Probally run way far away from 2.4 ghz range but it's more like a dream on idea.
OldSchool
Mini Stumbler

Postby wrzwaldo » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:53 pm

OldSchool wrote:...

Well the 93 exploder and the Vaio are provided by my employer so I can setup networks. The Vaio although it's cute kinda sucks with 128meg ram and a 400mhz processor. I wonder if processor speed has anything to do with how quickly it finds AP's or does it pretty much not matter too much.

A net tech but not much of a computer guy?
wrzwaldo

netech

Postby Airstreamer » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:55 pm

wrzwaldo wrote:A net tech but not much of a computer guy?

I've seen plenty the other way 'round...

Server geek, but a layer three switch does what, again? :rolleyes:

sTEVE
"But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know.""

- Rudyard Kipling
Airstreamer

Postby Starpoint » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:25 pm

OldSchool wrote:That's right that would make a interesting commercial for Ziplock.

Well the 93 exploder and the Vaio are provided by my employer so I can setup networks. The Vaio although it's cute kinda sucks with 128meg ram and a 400mhz processor. I wonder if processor speed has anything to do with how quickly it finds AP's or does it pretty much not matter too much. In Florida most people take the speed limit and add 15 or 20 mph to it I like to take my time now and see what I'm driving past.

I like to try to figure out where exactally the AP is located. I saw someone that named their SSID to the same as their vanity plate on their car. Uasually neighborhoods that are more affulent tend to have alot more AP's. the Ghetto's you might get only one or two.

I do have one goal as far as hacking. One of the steakhouses here that I like to go to happens to use those phoney beepers that light up when you're called. I would like get into that system or make mine go off a minute after I get it instead of waiting 30 minutes. Probally run way far away from 2.4 ghz range but it's more like a dream on idea.

I use a 97 Mercury mountaineer (explorer under a different vin #) and an Ipaq 3835 using 64 megs ram and 206 mhz cpu... if you set the scan speed up a notch on mini stumbler/Netstumbler you can use low end laptops like 200-266's.

I would love to get ahold of a revised model of a Compaq Armada 4400, with the CD bay and 3rd battery option in place of the floppy.
by having 3 batteries it would run 7 hours EASY without any power saver settings.

in all honesty its not a bad idea to get some lower end laptop and use an OS that gets along with Netstumbler or Kismet (whatever you wanna use) than to have some high end laptop.
Against the run of the mill, static as it seems

We break the surface tension with our wild kinetic dreams
Curves and lines -- of grand designs...

Tonight's movie "Soylent Green" has been brought to you by our sponsor - Waste Management

My mind is like a Steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in most states
Starpoint

Postby The Others » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:41 pm

Uk readers may be interested to note that those natty laptop antenna's will soon be available to you. Pretty cheap too at only a tenner.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-indoorantenna.htm#LAPTOP

They come on MC, MMCX and Hirose flavours. I might pick myself up a couple, but, for what card do I buy them? Hummm, choices, oh the choices.
all good ends all

?u=273
The Others

Postby UNcabled » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:07 am

The Others wrote:Uk readers may be interested to note that those natty laptop antenna's will soon be available to you. Pretty cheap too at only a tenner.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-indoorantenna.htm#LAPTOP

They come on MC, MMCX and Hirose flavours. I might pick myself up a couple, but, for what card do I buy them? Hummm, choices, oh the choices.

I got one of those the other day, but I ordered it from Fab-Corp. When I looked on the Solwise site, they didn't have anything like that listed so this must be a very new addition. Mine is a Pacific Wireless Rover 5dBi. It fits nicely, although the velcro tape isn't as sticky as I would like - I might move to a permanent install. It means I can have my T23 in a ruck sack with the antenna pointing upwards without attracting too much suspicion as I go walking.
UNcabled

Previous

Return to Stumbling Setups