my wardriving rig

Post info/pics about your rigs that you use for stumbling!

Postby beakmyn » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:44 am

Just trying to funny. I figured by the Kanji (sp?) characters on the license plate he wasn't in the U.S. and as far I remember Nissan never imported the Pulsar hatchback to the US.
beakmyn

Postby wrzwaldo » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:47 am

Don't worry beaky, some of us got it. ;)
wrzwaldo

Postby PaPPy » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:31 pm

or i am really cool and am in the us and have a steering wheel on the right
PaPPy

Postby wrzwaldo » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:04 am

PaPPy wrote:or i am really cool and am in the us and have a steering wheel on the right

If that's the case will you be delivering the mail? Quite a few mail-persons around here have RH drivers (I guess they are cool except when they deliver the bills!).
wrzwaldo

Postby PaPPy » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:17 pm

i was going more for the 2 fast 2 furious car at the beginning of the movie
PaPPy

Postby beakmyn » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:41 pm

beakmyn

Postby PaPPy » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:17 pm

i havent seen that in a while. funny stuff, thanks for the laugh
PaPPy

holy overkill antennas, batman!

Postby MrWrecked » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:46 am

Hey "local host",
you could reel in marlin with those antennas, or just paint "wardriver" on the side of your SUV instead for the same impression. I'm sure it works but man those are big.
I've been what I consider a newb wardriver for a while, however, my aircraft sheetmetal skills have enabled me to make my own equipment and fuck 125mph antenna mount brackets, mine could probably double that, and it swivels!

my setup:
Black SUV
el cheapo 250W power inverter
Sony Vaio PCG-GRT360GZ
3.06 GHz P4
80 gb HDD
16" XBRITE display

Netstumbler
various other helpful apps both purchased and not

Garmin Etrex Legend
Orinoco Gold card
basic MC pigtail
25 ft LMR 400 extension to external omni (overkill I know)

my antenna
homemade omni, about 18" tall, housed in pvc conduit w/ a cap on one end, and a threaded removable end on the other, mounted with my absolutely killer custom made-10 guage-full hard-aircraft steel bracket that has a hidden swivel point and mounts using existing fasteners in the roof rack mount assembly. All painted w/ aircraft gloss black paint to match my SUV.

the antenna is what i like to claim as a 20 db omni from what a few varying range tests told me. Whatever it is, I can pull signals from buildings i can't run to in 5 minutes, and i learned and saved a lot by building it.

it is a straight antenna to pigtail to Card setup. I'm tired of that and have a new idea to propose and test. I'm planning on getting a flat panel (wall style) antenna, 12 db or so, to create a dummy repeater system between the external omni, and mount the panel antenna on my ceiling inside the vehicle. A bi-directional amp may be required, but with this setup, multiple riders inside the vehicle can all stumble/search/scan/play simultaneously, without having a further mess of cabling and splitters and blah blah blah tangling up in the vehicle. just laptops and cards. This idea spawned out of my initial wardriving research about the double shotgun pringles yagi repeater over a mountain to a town 2 miles away from some dude's house.

Any feedback on how well this would work?

oh, and i have to brag on my omni setup some more, i've driven into a few obstacles accidentally while stumbling (no laptop-while-driving law where i live) including at least 3 of those "maximum clearance height" bars in hi-rise parking decks, which usually don't move at all or weigh 300 lbs and are hung with chains. well after freaking out a couple times and jumping out imagining shattered plastic tubing everywhere, all it has ever done is knick paint on the tip where it hit. it actually put a slight bend in my roof panel once, but didn't hurt the antenna or bracket at all. hows that for overkill
And for the record the antenna has been speed tested numerous times at 100mph when swiveled into the up position.

i've also a servo-remote controlled automatic swiveling/tilting yagi directional in the works. a remote, maybe with a camera and remote monitor for aiming, controlled from inside the vehicle for further simplified and secluded operations.

any ideas?
Attachments
myomniup.jpg
myomniup.jpg (75.92 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
myomniguts.jpg
myomniguts.jpg (65.43 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
myomnidown.jpg
myomnidown.jpg (34.35 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
myomni.jpg
myomni.jpg (86.94 KiB) Viewed 2164 times
mybracket.jpg
mybracket.jpg (55.45 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
MrWrecked
Mini Stumbler

Postby PaPPy » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:13 pm

holy b-jesus
PaPPy

Postby beakmyn » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:15 pm

MrWrecked wrote:Hey "local host", ...I've been what I consider a newb wardriver for a while,...

any ideas?

I think you're beyond Newb now. If you went to Linux you'd make it to 'Hacker in Training' ;)

I thought about doing the Yagi on a Sony Pan/Tilt/Swivel base off eBay just haven't gotten around to it yet. Since some of them automatically pan it might be neat. Although it would have to be USB or parallel port for control. That failing then it's off to allelectronics.com for some stepper motors and a BASIC Stamp module or PIC.

BTW, Nice swivel mount.
beakmyn

Postby Barry » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:02 pm

What you need is a toothpick omni with a rotating reflector! Now that would be cool.
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby King_Ice_Flash » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:15 pm

Barry wrote:What you need is a toothpick omni with a rotating reflector! Now that would be cool.

If you could hide one in the lightbar of a cop car, that would be even better!
"Yeah," said a voice from under the table, "you go to pieces so fast people get hit by the shrapnel."
King_Ice_Flash

Postby Barry » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:20 pm

Put it in an amber one and it would look like you're one of those "follow me" cars you see at road construction sites. Or go steal, I mean aquire a Domino's delivery guy sign, then no one would suspect some wierdo driving up and down the street! Holy crap that's perfect! Gotta go patent that right now!! :eek:
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Barry

Postby Thorn » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:21 am

King_Ice_Flash wrote:If you could hide one in the lightbar of a cop car, that would be even better!

The biggest problem with a rotating reflector is probably going to be RFI. Lightbars with motors in them generate all sorts of wide RFI from the brushes in the motors. Considering the low signal levels we're talking about in WiFi, it could be a real problem if there's any noise in the 2.4GHz range.
Thorn
Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.
Thorn

Previous

Return to Stumbling Setups