My wardriving setup

Post info/pics about your rigs that you use for stumbling!

My wardriving setup

Postby Ward » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:18 pm

Ok guys here it is. I know its not the best setup in the world, but it works well, and its lots of fun :P

First off, heres the car. It's a 1995 Dodge Intrepid ES 3.5L, loaded. Leather interior, 3.5L 24 valve engine, dual power seats, power windows, power door locks, power mirrors, digital climate control, power antenna, etc; every option except spoiler and tint. Its very comfortable for hours of wardriving, and gets good mileage. Did i mention it's huge? :P
Attachments
front.jpg
front.jpg (88 KiB) Viewed 3445 times
Well, I would warchalk... but then I'd have to get out of the car :P
Ward
Mini Stumbler

Postby Ward » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:20 pm

Interior shot
Attachments
interior2.jpg
interior2.jpg (62.11 KiB) Viewed 3389 times
Ward
Mini Stumbler

Postby Ward » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:24 pm

Next, the laptop. Its an IBM Thinkpad 560, Pentium I 133Mhz. Upgraded to 40MB RAM (w00t!). Windows 98 SE. For stumbling I use aerosol, and WLAN Expert, since NS doesnt work with my card. Will buy an orinoco card soon. BTW, this laptop was free. Someone gave it to me because it didnt work, the hard drive was dead. I happened to have a spare notebook HDD laying around, which I put in it (Samsung 4GB).

I'm using a cheapie Airlink WLC010 (PRISM2 chipset) wireless NIC right now, because, well it was cheap at $30. There are cheaper ones at the stores, but all are Cardbus, which my laptop isnt (16-bit only).
Attachments
laptop1.jpg
laptop1.jpg (59.65 KiB) Viewed 3388 times
Ward
Mini Stumbler

Postby Ward » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:28 pm

At the moment, I don't really have an antenna :P I activated the external antenna circuit on the card, and soldered about 2.5 feet of RG58U cable to it. I know RG58U is lossy, but it was cheap, and the store had no LMR cable. I had problems with the solder breaking loose, which explains the zip-tie madness :P At first I was using a pringles cantenna, which I quickly found sucks for wardriving. I'm having good luck with the bare coax conductor for now, but I'm working on a good omni antenna. Note the paperclip holding the antenna to the latop screen. The cable is stiff enough to stay where I bend it, so when I'm driving, I've got the laptop on my lap, with the antenna bent over towards the window. If I'm not driving, I can just roll up the window on the cable, with the antenna outside.
Attachments
ant1.jpg
ant1.jpg (35.21 KiB) Viewed 3345 times
Ward
Mini Stumbler

Postby Ward » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:29 pm

Card closeup - it aint pretty, but it works.
Attachments
card2.jpg
card2.jpg (50.61 KiB) Viewed 3356 times
Ward
Mini Stumbler

Postby Ward » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:35 pm

Misc stuff:

Friend's (accomplice :P ) laptop is a toshiba 2Ghz, using a seimens WLAN card. His works with netstumber, and his onboard antenna works extremely well. His laptop gets just as good of a signal as mine, sometimes better.

225W A/C Inverter - Unsure of brand ATM, have to go out to car and look. Paid $30 for it at Target. This is a must, as my battery only lasts about an hour, his only about 2. We're also using a 6 outlet surge protector. With this setup, I could easily accomodate 2 more people with laptops in the back.

We drove around for about 5 hours the other evening, smoked 3 packs of cigarettes, burned $10 worth of gas, drank about 6 bottles of dr pepper, and had to pee every 30 minutes. God it was fun :P

(EDIT) Prices:
Car - $3300
Laptop - Free
WLAN Card - $30
6' RG58U Cable - $3
225W A/C Inverter - $30
Ward
Mini Stumbler

Re: My wardriving setup

Postby G8tK33per » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:46 am

Originally posted by Ward
Ok guys here it is. I know its not the best setup in the world, but it works well, and its lots of fun :P

First off, heres the car. It's a 1995 Dodge Intrepid ES 3.5L, loaded. Leather interior, 3.5L 24 valve engine, dual power seats, power windows, power door locks, power mirrors, digital climate control, power antenna, etc; every option except spoiler and tint. Its very comfortable for hours of wardriving, and gets good mileage. Did i mention it's huge? :P

Texas?...what, no truck? :D :D just kiddin'.
G8tK33per

Postby Ward » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:48 am

Nah, I've never been a huge fan of trucks. Sure, theyre handy for hauling stuff, but its not that often I need to. Trucks get crappy gas mileage too :P When I was looking for a new car (other one is a POS '83 firebird), every nice truck was too expensive. I gave $3300 for this car. You can't get much of a truck for that :)
Ward
Mini Stumbler

Postby BenB0320 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:09 am

I have that same card..but it doesn't seem to work with net stumbler..how did you get it to work?
BenB0320
Mini Stumbler

Postby King_Ice_Flash » Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:47 am

Just out of curiosity, does your antenna actually work? There’s no ground plane. I guess the shielding could work as a ground, but is that thing actually tuned or made to a specific length?

You don't need a truck with a redneck laptop like that... J/K
"Yeah," said a voice from under the table, "you go to pieces so fast people get hit by the shrapnel."
King_Ice_Flash

Postby tooocool49723 » Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:33 pm

yeah, i'm wondering on that antenna too??? i'm thinking that you may have measured out a quarter waveleingth, but it seems a little short...hmm...and it's definately not a conventional omni, it's too small...hmmm...your sure your antenna actually has a gain over the internal antenna of the card (if it has one, i'm not too familiar with that brand of card)
tooocool49723
Mini Stumbler

Postby Ward » Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:19 am

The antenna does work (posting from laptop via it right now :P ), and it seems to work better than the onboard, but i have no numbers to prove it. I did cut the exposed center conductor to 1/4 WL, but there is no ground plane. I havent had much time to mess with it again until now, i've been busy with work over the holidays. I never completely finished my omni, but I'm thinking of building a small yagi instead. Before too long I want to buy a new laptop though, so I can get a better WLAN card, and use netstumbler.
Ward
Mini Stumbler

WOW

Postby quantez420 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:20 am

CAN WE SAY WAR DRIVING ON A BUDGET.

:eek:

I GUESS IF IT WORKS WHY NOT
quantez420

Postby enjoi » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:11 pm

CAN WE SAY FIND THE CAPS LOCK KEY?

Thanks.