New Antenna

Post info/pics about your rigs that you use for stumbling!

New Antenna

Postby WhiteFish » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:29 pm

Finally broke down and bought the Mobile Mark antenna from Fab-Corp. WOW! Compared to either my NIC or the cheesy little cheapo that I had this was impressive.

Went out for a quick spin tonight with it on the trunk and made a similar run to one I made a couple of weeks ago with just my NIC in the PDA. 59 new AP's were discovered!

I'll be doing some more testing, but now I feel like a turd for waiting so long. :-)

Here is the rest of the setup:

PDA Setup

iPAQ 3765
Dual PCMCIA Expansion Pack
Compaq WL110
Haicom 303E CF GPS with adapter (It ROCKS!)
Mobile Mark 5.5 dbi Omni

Laptop Setup

Toshiba Satellite Pro 410
Windows 95 (HaHa uh ha)
24 MB Ram
1 GB HDD
Compaq WL110
Haicom 303E CF GPS with adapter (It ROCKS!)
Garmin GPS-38 with power/serial adapter
Power Inverter

Both work about the same, but the PDA is my fav overall as it does not stand out when driving.

WF
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.
WhiteFish

Postby WhiteFish » Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:08 pm

Great test of the antenna (and MiniStumbler .4) while on vacation driving from Colorado to Florida.

Ipaq crapped out in Dallas and lost all the AP's for the first half of the trip (arrgh), not sure why, but a soft reset cured the problem. Started it up at the hotel and without moving picked up 54 AP's.

After leaving Dallas and going across east Texas, headed south to the gulf in Louisana, then to MS, AL, and finally into the panhandle of FL. I was surprised to see 700+ AP's since most of the trip was in the middle of nowhere, but the antenna did a great job.

MiniStumbler .4 rocked ( once the freaking sound was turned off). Very nice, all told from Colorado to Destin FL, I had about 1300 AP's. On the return trip, I will get back all the lost AP's from Dallas going home. I'll post total results later, but all in all, the new antenna did very well, and survived some very heavy winds and storms through east Texas. A wonderful product!
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.
WhiteFish

Return to Stumbling Setups