Rockin Setup!

Post info/pics about your rigs that you use for stumbling!

Rockin Setup!

Postby jonnyboy » Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:15 am

I found out that Flyin J truckstops offer Wi-FI now. So I stopped in to pick one of the advertised Orinoco Cards and external antenna to do my wardriving with. Well they dont sell Orinoco at least in this area anymore they sell a neat lil SMC card that is 200mW! with a magnetic mount 5dB Omni Antenna. Man does this work great or what! I picked up Flying J's signal for over a mile! I also found out yesterday that you can get the same SMC card at CompUSA, but I was only able to find the antenna at Flying J. Anyways I have $69.99 in the card and $19.99 in the antenna. Works beautifully. The only bad thing about the setup is the antenna has a 17' cable. Must be low loss because I cant really notice. Or course any antenna will work with this card. Its a very powerful unit and even has the correction measure in it to avoid cordless phones and such. I have windows XP and had problems with the included Wireless Utility. So I chose not to install it and installed just the driver and use windows to change my wireless settings.

One little extra note. This card is a Prism2 and can replace the card in a Linksys WET11 Wirless Ethernet Bridge. It works flawlessly.

EliteConnect™ 2.4GHz 802.11b High Power Wireless PC Card
Attachments
smc2532wb_thum.gif
smc2532wb_thum.gif (4.67 KiB) Viewed 3002 times
jonnyboy
Mini Stumbler

Postby thehman » Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:41 am

Is this a free service they are offering? I hope your SMC works good for you. Mine kept droping my connection. I ended up with the Dell Truemobile and changing it over to the Orinoco. It works great.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin
thehman
Mini Stumbler

Postby jonnyboy » Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:43 am

no it is a pay service you can pay by CC by just trying to access a web page or go inside. Its like $2 for an hour or $200 for the year.

Ive had good luck out of the card so far I hope I have no problems. Like I said though if I used the utility that came with the drivers then I had problems. Not finding the connection or dropping it.

I would love to have an orinoco card but I can not find one. I believe I could get it to work with mandrake after I get my PCMCIA problem worked out. I could probally order one online I guess..where did you get yours?
jonnyboy
Mini Stumbler

Postby jonnyboy » Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:57 am

Oh and another thing what is up with this tool? Has anyone ever used this? It fits on your keychain and siffs out hotspots.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1055388012399&skuId=5590407&type=product
jonnyboy
Mini Stumbler

Postby thehman » Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:09 pm

Yes I could not use the SMC utility either. But even using windows I had the problem. It worked most of the time but I just got sick of the problem.

I got my Dell for Christmas but I know my friend bought it on Ebay for 35. It is the the Orinoco Classic Gold re-badged for dell. I followed the instructions posted here for changing it back over to the Orinoco.

I used it as the dell for a couple of days and was having the same problem as with my SMC but once I changed it over I've not dropped my connection at all. I also get a much better range. I'm even seeing my neighbors network 3 doors down. I used to have to go up the street to see it with NS.

I am also having the problem with Mandrake not seeing my PCMCIA. I've not really looked into it much. My expertise on Linux is very lacking.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin
thehman
Mini Stumbler

Postby jonnyboy » Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:24 pm

yeah Im new to linux as well but I was told to go to the new kernel 2.6 and install the pcmcia_cs package. I hope this helps you cuz I havent tried it yet either lol.
jonnyboy
Mini Stumbler

Postby tooocool49723 » Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:19 pm

SMC card is on amazon.com for 57$ i'm thinking of picking one up, just because
1. it's so cheap, that even if it doesn't work i can still sell it on ebay for 60$ and
2. because i've got a 200mw Senao AP (which works flawlessly), and figure that a 200mw card would help a little (i've got a Dell right now, it works, but at 30mw, it's a little bit wimpy)
tooocool49723
Mini Stumbler

Postby jonnyboy » Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:38 pm

OK......i dumped the POS SMC card. It will not work in linux. I bought a good Ol' ORiNOCO Classic Gold card and ext antenna. (not from here) Works beautifully! With netstumbler and KISMET!!!!! (Kismet is SWEET!!!) Definately suggest you try it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am also having the problem with Mandrake not seeing my PCMCIA. I've not really looked into it much. My expertise on Linux is very lacking."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does your system hang when loading PCMCIA on Mandrake? if so I think i know your solution.
jonnyboy
Mini Stumbler

Postby razordu30 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:04 am

New to stumbling, taking it a bit at a time.

newhman - I run Redhat, and my bootup freezes when trying to detect the pcmcia slot; does your mandrake do the same thing? If so, I think I found stuff online to fix, but don't have them anymore (didn't have enough time to fool around to see if I could get it to work). If you're interested, I'll look around again and post them; if it works for you I may give it a try as well.

-Ramon
razordu30
Mini Stumbler

Postby Twisted » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:57 am

Please post any documentation you find. I have been screwing around with Redhat, and Mandrake trying to get something going, Kismet, arisnort, etc..

Having no *nix background really hurts.
Twisted
Mini Stumbler

Postby EVH-rocks » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:54 am

Its like $2 for an hour or $200 for the year.

Man, That is good, here in the UK I think the average is about £6.00 hour, think thats about $9.00 - $10.00.
'We havent had that spirit here since 1969'
EVH-rocks
Mini Stumbler

Location: remote scottish highlands (after leaving therpalm trees of torquay in the english rivierra Brrr chil

Postby The Others » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:58 am

Originally posted by EVH-rocks
[B]Its like $2 for an hour or $200 for the year.

Man, That is good, here in the UK I think the average is about £6.00 hour, think thats about $9.00 - $10.00. [/B]

Yes sir, we get ripped off something proper.

My uni is setting up a service through jwire - £6 an hour for students - thanks guys :rolleyes:

Community wireless is the way to go, or save all that spare bandwidth for VoIP.
all good ends all

?u=273
The Others

Postby EVH-rocks » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:05 pm

Dude you got a new avatar!

£6.00 an hour for students, man thats shocking, the people who need it the most , with the least amount of cash.

Yeah the community network idea is cool, bet it scares the crap out of the isp,s though hehe. I see BT are advertising their new £19.99 broadband, I seem to recall though (if its the same one) that its capped to 1 Gig a month.
'We havent had that spirit here since 1969'
EVH-rocks
Mini Stumbler

Location: remote scottish highlands (after leaving therpalm trees of torquay in the english rivierra Brrr chil

Postby razordu30 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:14 pm

This is what I found re: PCMCIA on Linux. Hope it helps. If you get lucky, let me know.

http://www.geocities.com/randomnumbergenerator2001/ - This is a website I used to help me install Linux on my Dell. The rest of the stuff is pretty much meant for my laptop specifically, but there's a part with PCMCIA that sounds universal, though I'm not sure.

http://www.linuxforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6701&st=0&#entry42778 - A thread on a support forum that is about PCMCIA conflicts. I'm pretty much a Linux newb, so I don't know much about this, or even comprehend a lot of it. Hopefully it's of some use.

http://www.todo.co.nz/howto/PCMCIA-HOWTO.html - This is a rather long FAQ thing on PCMCIA support in Linux. I don't even know where to start.

Good luck all. I think the major hindrance, at least for me, is that my wireless is PCMCIA, so I can't be on Linux and surf the net at the same time, so I have to go back and forth, which is a royal pain. It's a catch-22 since the reason I want Linux is to do wireless stuff, like testing my home network against airsnort, use Kismet for passive stumbling, etc.

- Ramon
razordu30
Mini Stumbler

Postby The Others » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:15 pm

The story of the avatar is here ;)

Yeah, our student union sucks. Months after the Uni turned up on on the jwire web-site it was anoounced in our student paper. They hinted it was free. Oops.

It's funny really, considering how much money our union makes.

Did you know that Cardiff SU is the biggest seller of RedBull in the country? Yep, that's right, our one building in Cardiff sells more Red bull than all the Tescos or Asdas or whatever in the country! Can you believe it? It's madness! 1 Building sells more of that crap than a nationwide string of supermarkets...

And then they want to charge for the Net.

It almost makes me go to any other uni building and get it for free :D
all good ends all

?u=273
The Others

Next

Return to Stumbling Setups