Stumbling WIth a Belkin Wireless AP

Post info/pics about your rigs that you use for stumbling!

Stumbling WIth a Belkin Wireless AP

Postby illtww » Tue May 21, 2002 10:11 pm

Hey, OK HERE GOES.

I have a Belkin F5D6230-3 (3 port cable wireless router with directional antennas)

I want to try and tap into my neighboring apartment complex’s wireless network. I have NO wireless NIC cards but I can go buy one if I have to have it.

1st.
I was wondering if there were any generic settings to try with my belkin router and see if I can get onto their network?

2nd.
What "mode" does my router need to be set into if I want to share the bandwidth of the wireless network over my wired network?
(get access form apt complex over wireless and share over wires in apt?)

3rd.
If I need a wireless pcmcia card is there one I can pick up at staples or wal-mart that is herms based?

Still Learning....
Travis W.
illtww
Mini Stumbler

Re: Stumbling WIth a Belkin Wireless AP

Postby blackwave » Tue May 21, 2002 10:21 pm

Originally posted by illtww
Hey, OK HERE GOES.
I want to try and tap into my neighboring apartment complex’s wireless network.

Simple call the manager of the neighboring complex and ask them the settings required (including WEP KEY if applicable) to use their public system. It is possible that they only allow local residents to use this. Using this network intentionally without authorization could probably be viewed as theft of services, and once it is noticed that the net is being bogged down, other directionals may point to you... so just make sure it is ok before doing it.. you may want something in writing as well to CYA...
If you are doing this for informational and educational purposes only I suggest you are more subtle with your questions. This board does not promote, condone, or advocate theft of services, or any other local, federal, or national crime.

Still Learning....

Try to learn to use this:
http://forums.netstumbler.com/search.php?s=
... as well as this(FAQ):
http://forums.netstumbler.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1797

NOTE: Have a nice day. :)
-=BW=-
blackwave

Postby ZipperSeven » Wed May 22, 2002 1:30 pm

Well, it's fo-sure that wal-mart isn't going to carry wireless anything (well, maybe except for phones and stuph).

As for staples, I know the only ones they have in the store are the Linksys cards, which are not going to work (I suppose you know about the prism chipset issue, if not, then search for it.) They do have a special order system (usually you will have to ask one of the tech guys or a manager, most of the floor people and cashiers will know nothing about it. They have a couple different vendors that they can order direct from, and I'm sure that they'll be able to order the IBM-branded orinoco card, if not a real orinoco or agere card itself. This will allow you to pay in cash or whatever right at the register.

Luck.
...from slashdot:

Go over to the NetStumbler Forums if you want to see a prime example of moderators who simply do not take ANY shit from ANYone.
ZipperSeven

Return to Stumbling Setups