XP and WEP

Post info/pics about your rigs that you use for stumbling!

XP and WEP

Postby helix » Thu May 09, 2002 6:13 am

Originally I had a network of Win2000 systems working on a Lucent wireless network. Two WEP keys are required for this network. The client manager from Lucent controls the WEPs in 2000, however in XP it is XP the controls the WEPs and I can only input one WEP into the XP client manager.

I know that the Lucent WEPs are stored in the registry, where is a debateable issue and that they are cipher encrypted.

Ultimately I need to find a way to input the key uncipherred into the client manager in XP, however, I am tamped to try copying the ciphered key from a working 2000 registry into the XP registry.

Any suggestions?:confused:
helix
Mini Stumbler

Postby TIntruder » Thu May 09, 2002 6:33 am

Hi,

Generally, the difference in behavior between 2K and XP is that there is the option "Let Windows Manage Wireless Connections".

Because of this, the Orinoco and Enterasys client functions are less sophisticated than they used to be. You used to install the client package and get an applet in your Control Panel.

In XP, you are right, it only takes one WEP key per adapter if WEP is enabled. However the Key Index setting allows you to point to different keys you have available. I haven't got this function working as I haven't tried the automated Key Distribution app from Enterasys. (Note: all the Enterasys CLIENT stuff is interoperable with Orinoco/Lucent but the AP apps are not)

Supposedly, the v7.44 client apps from Enterasys removes the 4 keys limit and allows a significant number of them. (see the release notes)

Also, if you need to enter a new key in order to connect, you can RIGHT click on the network Icon in your taskbar and select View Available Wireless Networks. Select the one you want, input the key you want to use, and connect.

You may also want to experiment with BOINGO although since installing it, my system seems to get interrupted from its current connection whenever a new AP becomes available.

Does anybody know where the registry entries are for the keys? Are they movable between machines? This way, if you didn't actually "know" the keys, you could just transplant them in encrypted condition.
TIntruder
Mini Stumbler

Return to Stumbling Setups