freq hoping

Want to see something on NetStumbler.com/.org? Post your idea here! (Note - Posting does not guarantee that your idea will be implemented)

freq hoping

Postby tubagod22 » Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:53 am

I am not sure if netstumbler works with freq hoping pcmcia cards, but it should. If it does, some one email me witch cards it will work with. Tubagod22@yahoo.com
tubagod22
Mini Stumbler

Postby TheSovereign » Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:58 am

how about u search and we wont mail u anything
SO SAYS TheSovereign
TheSovereign

Postby agentgrn » Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:32 pm

If you can find an FHSS card that supports the NDIS 5.1 driver spec...then it should.

Otherwise, you're out of luck. And, my Spectrum24 FHSS card doesn't work at all on NS.
-A.G.-
agentgrn

Postby DaClyde » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:02 am

Do you think Marius would be able to do anything toward adding FHSS detection to NetStumbler if I sent him a Spectrum24 card? We're about to replace an old 2MB Symbol installation with a new Orinoco system and we have a couple hundred spare 1 & 2MB FHSS cards now.
DaClyde

Postby fregniacciaro » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:15 am

Have you tried sending him a pm?
When I was your age, television was called books. And this is a special book. It was the book my father used to read to me when I was sick, and I used to read it to your father. And today, I'm gonna read it to you.

Rompipalle della Chiesa del WiFi
SHAMELESS PLUG!

"Are you trying to irritate my colon ? Because if you are, I'll shit all over you in such a way you'll end up in a sanatorium, never to be heard from again."
--Dutch
fregniacciaro

Postby DaClyde » Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:45 am

I have now. We'll see what happens. I've got three different generations of the Spectrum24 cards...their old LA-2400 1MB cards and two different models of the LA-302x series. If he can use them, I'll probably send him one of each. I was supremely annoyed to find that Symbol didn't bother to update any of their software for this system, so none of the management tools work in anything after Win98.
DaClyde

Postby mvario » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:52 pm

you wouldn't want to get rid of a couple of those cards would you? :rolleyes:

Symbol has some site survey utilities for them I'd like to try

http://www.symbol.com/services/downloads/dl_sp24_2mbps_tools.html

-Mike
mvario

Postby DaClyde » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:25 pm

Well, we ARE looking to get rid of them. Just be aware that 99% of the software for these only works on Win95/98. The cards work fine on Win2000/XP, but all the tools require the client manager to run, and while all the software will INSTALL on 2000/XP, the client manager only recognizes the cards on 95/98 systems.

I've looked around the net to see what kind of prices we might get on ebay, but all the vendors selling this stuff still seem to be charging near-retail prices from 1999...their cards go for upwards of $269 and the AP's for well over $1200. Rather insane for a 2MB system. Can't find the Breezecom 2MB stuff anywhere and they had those nifty little titanium, retractable antennae.
DaClyde

Postby DaClyde » Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:06 pm

Marius responded and pointed out that FHSS doesn't scan for networks, so there isn't much value in adding it to NetStumbler. After 4 years of using this stuff, you'd think I'd have noticed that bit of information in the past. But, alas, he's right. The only way it would be of any use would be to scan for APs on a particular network since there is no way to set the network to 'ANY' like with 802.11b.

I still plan to drive around a bit with the Spectrum24 system tools and see what I can find on the default channel.
DaClyde

Return to Suggestions/Requests