GPS Track Log

Want to see something on NetStumbler.com/.org? Post your idea here! (Note - Posting does not guarantee that your idea will be implemented)

Postby sparafina » Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:50 pm

Originally posted by mentat
One of the other things that would be nice is a Garmin to NMEA converter built into the serial port splitter, but now I'm just wishing. Does anyone know of any source for something like this (the Garmin to NMEA conversion)?

Don't hold your breath, but I think I might have something like that archived off in the big ole pile of CDs. It'll take a little time to dig through the bit bucket.
sparafina
Mini Stumbler

Postby lullabud » Fri Jun 28, 2002 10:39 pm

i'd imagine a garmin to nmea conversion script wouldn't be hard, but i think we're talking about a piece of hardware, right? i guess you could bring along a pc with 2 serial ports. =)
nas ne dogonyat
lullabud
Mini Stumbler

Postby mentat » Sat Jun 29, 2002 11:22 am

No, I meant ComFoolery (or something like that) as the "serial port splitter".
mentat
Mini Stumbler

Postby sparafina » Sun Jun 30, 2002 8:12 pm

Originally posted by lullabud
i think we're talking about a piece of hardware, right

Of course you were talking about hardware, but I had just got off a plane on Friday a little before midnight and was addled.

Anyway, I was thinking about what I did back in the day (10 years ago) when I was working with a group of folks tying GPS coordinates to aerial videography. Anyway, we would take the gps data streams (4 separate units) and output on a modem where we write the model signal to the sound track of the Super VHS tape. When we grabbed the video images we would use the GPS time hacks to synchronize between the image and sound track and pull coordinates for the image.

Given that a lot of laptops have an unused modem built-in, I think it would be possible to split the signal and send one to the com port and another to the modem and have mappoint or NS talk to the modem as a com port.
sparafina
Mini Stumbler

Previous

Return to Suggestions/Requests